Can't change the scale? Change the channel!

Options
So! How many times have you stepped on the scale and just wanted to throw it out the window or break the mirror? That's me! HOllllllaa! Represent!

Sometimes, losing weight turns into a competition for me. I'm not losing weight fast enough. I plateaued. I gained weight. And pretty soon, I'm feeling pretty crappy about myself.

I don't know about you, but I decided that I wanted to lose weight because I wanted to feel BETTER about myself, not worse. Kind of ironic, isn't it? In fact, I told myself "Seriously, if this is what dieting is going to be like, then I do NOT want to do it."

I feel like seizing onto a new optimistic attitude is critical to my long-term success. I want to treat myself better in the long run, BOTH physically and mentally. That's what I'm doing. I'm taking care of myself. It's about empowerment and realizing just exactly how much control we have over our lives. Which is why, for me, dieting is more than just getting into those hot jeans - it's about kicking negativity's *kitten* back to Timbuktoo where he belongs.

So, I'm curious, what mental voice is your biggest weakness?

Replies

• awilson444
    awilson444 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I like how you think!

My biggest "inner voice" weakness may be that it often says "well no one else seems to have to think about their calories, etc, so why should I??". But this type of thinking doesn't lead to a healthy lifestyle at all so I've got to rise above it.
  • gmaanneliese
    gmaanneliese Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My mental voice has less to say than yours. It more or less whines, "It's toooooo hard!":sad:

What do I do to shut it up? I memorize Bible verses and throw them at it. One of my favorites is from Romans 12, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." My paraphrase, "stop eating out because you deserve a break today and change the way you think about food and your body, then you will see your body change."
  • laneyb356
    laneyb356 Posts: 25
    Options
    You said it well. I know I need to do this for me because I am tired of feeling "crappy" all the time. And the only one to blame is me. I am an emotional eater but it's for every emotion. That kinda sucks. But getting my system on a level playing field makes me happy and want to try a little harder. Recently I had a lot "thrown" at me. I know it could always be worse and it's not the end of the world so I just need to pick my world up cuz there's no one else to do it for me. I am a positive person for the most part but you know how you just get t i r e d of it every now & then? Sometimes life just sucks but I want to have my witts about me when it does. Keeping track of my food, calories & exercise (if I ever get into a regular routine) is my power that no one else can have. So hoping my channel is changed and the scale will follow!!!