do you measure oatmeal dry or cooked?

Options
nomex
nomex Posts: 142 Member
The nutritional info is 130 cal for 1/3 cup. Do you measure the oatmeal priot to cooking or after. The nuturitional information is below the cooking instructions on the package.....

I see that some of the measurements in the database indicate (dry....) I presumed it was the amount after cooking until I read that spec in the database. Now I am not sure! help!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I always measure it dry.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I always measure dry also.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    dry. same for rice or pasta too. The water doesn't add anything but volume.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Dry!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I'm with the rest. Dry is the way to measure.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    As far as I know, everything is measured dry or uncooked depending on which applies.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    it's measured dry
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Dry for sure, weighing cooked item the weight will vary based on length of time it was left cooking, al dente pasta will weigh less after cooking than pasta cooked to the point of falling apart its soaked up so much moisture (assuming you start with the same amount of dry)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The oatmeal I eat says a serving size is 1/2 cup dry.
  • nomex
    Options
    thanks! I guess there is no conflicting opinion AT ALL! The good news is that I have been claiming that I have been eating much more than I actually have. i eat oatmeal ALOT! THere is no way that I am consuming 1 cup of dry oatmeal for breakfast! Maybe 1 cup of cooked ! Do you think it expands three times during cooking? I cook oatmeal for my whole family, so it is easier for me to measure my portion after it is cooked..... IE would 1/3 cup dry equal 1 cup cooked?
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I like 1 oz. of dry oatmeal to 10Lbs of water, it fills me up for the whole day :P
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry is about 1 cup cooked.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    that totally depends on how much water you like yours to absorb... I mean it will only absorb so much anyway but I don't cook mine very long, i believe mine about doubles so 1/3 cup dry is about 2/3 cooked for how I cook mine.
  • nomex
    Options
    thanks everyone! VERY much appreciated!!!!:wink:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've been hoping measurements on here are dry unless stated, after all most people measure before they start cooking. Oatmeal probably expands to double or a bit more.
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I measure my oatmeal dry too. :)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    DRY!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Dry, because cooked would just be to messy. :laugh:

What about meat, do you measure it cooked or uncooked? I just realized they vary greatly between raw and cooked.
  • mauracan
    mauracan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just googled this!! Thank you for asking this question!❤️
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Dry as they liquid uptake and way of cooking is not the same for all Plus I weight it. I do not use volume to measure something solid