Why am I not losing any weight?

Options
I am so frustrated today.
My "normal" weight for most of my adult life has been between 130-140lbs. Last year I went through a very rough time with losing my job and my home and gained 50 lbs. I was so disgusted with myself! Last summer, I got my life back in order and I started doing Chalean Extreme 5 days a week and walked on the other days. I lost 20lbs in 3 months. Over the holidays, I let it slip and gain about 6lbs back. I thought it would be no problem to get the weight back off because I "knew" what I needed to do, but nothing is working anymore!
I'm staying within my calorie range and I work out 5-6 times a week, combining strength training as well as cardio. I haven't lost ANYTHING!! In fact, I got on the scale this morning and I GAINED another pound!!!
I am so frustrated. What am I doing wrong? I'm burning more than I'm eating so why the gain?
Please, any advice would be helpful. I am miserable.

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Make sure your net calories are not below 1200 and try limiting your sodium to 1500. Myself, I eat all of my exercise calories. If you eat too few, your body won't let you lose. Look at my profile page to see what worked for me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you eat a day, and how many do you burn? Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • 79Annika
    79Annika Posts: 9
    Options
    I try to stay between 1500-1700 calories a day. I eat every 3-4 hours and I'm burning probably 300- 500 additional calories a day with exercise.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water and getting enough protein? Are you doing the same workout? Because you should switch it up often. Make sure you are doing both cardio and strength training....Maybe do interval training like the 30 day shred? Message me for some ideas if needed...Hope that helps! Don't give up!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    are you eating sugary processed foods?

Try eating raw and whole grain foods.

Good Luck!
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It could be time for a change. You may have hit the dreaded plateau where your body is used to what your doing. Change your fitness routine around and change your eating habits too. Go nuts once in a while and have some treats. Keep your body guessing all the time. But, also, take a rest. have a week off of training. Ant fitness magazines and trainers will tell you to rest up to give your muscles a chance to recover and restore its strength to be able to take on the next session.

Try to take some measurements as well because you may lose fat, but not weight, so measure yourself once a month or so.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I don't accept the hysteria about starvation mode on here it's a myth expounded by people that are scared of eating less (IMHO). It sounds as if you are doing the right things, but when I reach a plateau I mix up the exercise. Try varying your routine, doing different exercise and I'm sure you will begin to lose weight. Above all, don't let the 'fat-demons' convince you to give in :)

regards, David
  • jppizana
    jppizana Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Gained a lb? maybe you are still building muscle?
  • 79Annika
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!

I eat pretty clean. Whole wheat toast and eggs for breakfast. Greek yogurt, almonds, apples, bananas or cheese wedges for snacks. Lunch is usually steamed veggies with a Morningstar Chicken Patty (I don't eat red meat or poultry). And dinner is usually rice, pasta, fish or veggies.
    I drink lots of water and limit myself to one cup of coffee in the mornings.

I had been using a bodybugg but I didn't like the set up of the website. I tried using this site for calories in and bodybugg for calories out, and that's when things seemed to go downhill.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    It could be glycogen causing some temporary weight gain, especially if you have been strength training.

I'm getting the same thing at the moment. Its frustrating, but normal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/193739-upped-exercise-and-experiencing-weight-gain
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    make sure your pasta and rice portions are in control so you don't overdo it. To many carbs can cause slight weight due to the mechanics of the body. Don't cut it out completely, but make sure they are correct sizes. 50 to 150g a day will be sufficient.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't accept the hysteria about starvation mode on here it's a myth expounded by people that are scared of eating less (IMHO). It sounds as if you are doing the right things, but when I reach a plateau I mix up the exercise. Try varying your routine, doing different exercise and I'm sure you will begin to lose weight. Above all, don't let the 'fat-demons' convince you to give in :)

regards, David

How can you say it's a myth? There are people who are living proof of it. So are they liars? Or are their Doctor's all wrong & don't know what they're talking about?
    Starvation mode IS real, it can mess your body up. It might not be the same for everyone, every human is different but to say it's a myth is pretty ignorant. Just like people say "global warming is a myth". No it's not, some people just don't wanna accept facts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation_mode
  • zoibas
    zoibas Posts: 31
    Options
    I found at first I was cheating myself, calling things like my walk to lunch "exercise". To me it is all math. If you reduce your calories to less than your resting metabolic rate you will eventually loose weight. A pound is 3500 calories, reduce by 500 a day and you loose a pound a week, 1000 and that is 2 pounds a week. This formula has been almost spot on for me anyway. Maybe your goal calories are too high for your resting rate? I started at 1280 cals a day, adjusted every 10 lbs to new rate so after a 10 lb loss i changed to 1250 a day. I also changed my activity level to the lowest which took off another 50 calories so now I am at 1200. I started at 195 pounds according to my doctor and am at 176.2 this morning, I don't feel hungry because I eat nuts and dry fruits all day and I like the results I am seeing. My exercise is 100 - 200 calorie burn a day on an elliptical and 3 sets of reverse stomach crunches a day, not much investment but its working great. I never though of myself as that guy that sells trainers on tv with the 24 pack abbs but my son asked the other day, "dad is that the starts of a 6 pack?" lol
  • zoibas
    zoibas Posts: 31
    Options

regards, David

How can you say it's a myth? There ate people who are living proof of it. So are they liars? Or are their Doctor's all wrong & don't know what they're talking about?
    Starvation mode IS real, it can mess your body up. It might not be the same for everyone, every human is different but to say it's a myth is pretty ignorant. Just like people say "global warming is a myth". No it's not, some people just don't wanna accept facts

I do have a question about startvation mode. I have no reason to not believe it exists, however what I want to know is if I go hungry for a couple hours when does it set in, and how long after I eat does my body say "oh OK false alarm". I may be in a meeting at work that is a couple hours long and not have my almonds handy.... Just a question if anyone knows, Seems to me your body would get out of starvation mode as soon as your brain knew you were about to eat.. ??? anyone????
  • 79Annika
    Options

regards, David

Good question!
    How can you say it's a myth? There ate people who are living proof of it. So are they liars? Or are their Doctor's all wrong & don't know what they're talking about?

I do have a question about startvation mode. I have no reason to not believe it exists, however what I want to know is if I go hungry for a couple hours when does it set in, and how long after I eat does my body say "oh OK false alarm". I may be in a meeting at work that is a couple hours long and not have my almonds handy.... Just a question if anyone knows, Seems to me your body would get out of starvation mode as soon as your brain knew you were about to eat.. ??? anyone????
  • david081
    Options

regards, David

How can you say it's a myth? There are people who are living proof of it. So are they liars? Or are their Doctor's all wrong & don't know what they're talking about?

Okay, it's a myth in my own experience, and YES there is TOO much hysteria on here about it - not eating makes you lose weight, people can starve to death. Extreme dieting may cause a short-term physical panic mode, and I disagree with that approach....
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

regards, David

Starvation mode isn't something that happens and then "un"happens. You might feel as though your "starving" when you can't eat on time and your stomach is hungry, but you're not starving.

Our bodies are like machines, they need fuel (food) to keep running. If you give it it's optimal amount of fuel, it's going to run it's best. That's why breakfast is a very important meal, it gets your metabolism up and running for the day. The more you feed it (obviously within reason) the better it will keep running.

Think of your metabolism like you on a remote island. The island is rich with fish and fruit and veggies, so you eat enough to keep yourself strong and satisfied. But then one day the food starts running out, so you're forced to conserve. You eat only 1 fish every three days instead of everyday and instead of jogging along the beach you walk because you don't want to expend too much energy.

That is how your metabolism is....if it is not getting enough fuel, it will start to shut down and hold on to whatever fat and energy it has because it has no idea when it is going to get sufficient fuel again. When your metabolism is not running efficiently, that's when you won't lose weight, or even gain because your metabolism is running at a snails pace and conserving energy.

Obviously if a human were to stop eating altogether, eventually the metabolism would have no choice but to start burning through fat to the point of death, but you get the point. I don't know how long it takes for starvation mode to set in, but it's certainly not after missing one meal. It needs to be consistently deprived of enough food and fuel to properly run.
  • david081
    Options
    Thanks Amy, I was just having a dig at some on here that expound theories that you need to eat more to lose weight... I will never agree to this, whilst accepting that starvation is not the key to sustained weight-loss

rgds, David (married for almost 29 years)