HELLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Options
Last week, I upped my weights, cardio, AND was under my calorie intake EVERY DAY. I weighed in and GAINED a pound!
AHHHHHHHHHHH!
ANyone? ANything?
Discouraged...

Replies

• susangilbert
    Options
    Last week, I upped my weights, cardio, AND was under my calorie intake EVERY DAY. I weighed in and GAINED a pound!
    AHHHHHHHHHHH!
    ANyone? ANything?
    Discouraged...
  • Alisha1201
    Alisha1201 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! I have been working out like a crazy woman and the pounds stay the same. However, my clothes are fitting so much better so I treat that as my success.

I don't know about you but when I eat under what I should I gain weight. Your body goes in to a "starvation" and your metabolism slows down.

Don't give up it will happen!
  • dkell
    dkell Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Your building and toning.:smile:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking your measurements and drinking lots of fluids?

Bet you lost some inches!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The chances of that lb being muscle are about as great as winning the lottery, unfortunately. It's not you personally--anyone in a caloric deficit has the same chance of building one lb of muscle in just a week. Even a male in a caloric excess would have difficulty doing that. However, it's just as difficult to gain a pound of fat in a caloric deficit in just a week. Caloric deficits do not allow for anything to build--it's not physiologically possible. You don't have the excess energy required to do so.

It's either water weight, waste, or glycogen (the form of blood sugar that is stored in the liver and muscles).

Don't get discouraged by a 1 lb gain after just a week. If you let the scale dictate how you feel about yourself each week, this will be a long, uphill struggle, rather than interesting journey in learning how your body functions.
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    Don't go under your cals. You need them or your body will want to keep them (starvation mode). Are you eatting your exercise cals?
  • deamarie
    Options
    The chances of that lb being muscle are about as great as winning the lottery, unfortunately. It's not you personally--anyone in a caloric deficit has the same chance of building one lb of muscle in just a week. Even a male in a caloric excess would have difficulty doing that. However, it's just as difficult to gain a pound of fat in a caloric deficit in just a week. Caloric deficits do not allow for anything to build--it's not physiologically possible. You don't have the excess energy required to do so.

It's either water weight, waste, or glycogen (the form of blood sugar that is stored in the liver and muscles).

Don't get discouraged by a 1 lb gain after just a week. If you let the scale dictate how you feel about yourself each week, this will be a long, uphill struggle, rather than interesting journey in learning how your body functions.
  • deamarie
    Options
    Sorry about above...still learning how to work this thing!

I am glad someone else is telling the truth about that "You are just gaining muscle" myth! That drives me insane. I hate it when someone tells me that knowing good and well my body is not so physiologically perfect that it can replace a pound of fat with a pound of muscle. The body does not work that way. There has to be some other explanation for it....and I wish I knew what it is!!

I am feeling your pain. I have been at this for 3 weeks and have only lost 3lbs in the first week. However, I did realize I was not eating my workout calories and had a HUGE deficit going on. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

I hate to get personal but is it "that time"??
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Could be water, muscle....weight varies daily. Just keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Um, you aren't supposed to eat LESS then MFP suggests, they are already creating a deficiet to lose weight. Also, don't forget to eat ALL the additional exercise calories MFP gives you, it does it for a reason.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options

Banks? Is that you? He's haunting us :laugh:
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm an exercise and wellness major. It can take a year for even a male to gain 10-15 pounds of muscle. It's not easy and it doesn't develop over night, BUT your weight is probably water weight... the muscle will come with time and the fat will come off.
  • susangilbert
    Options
    I appreciate this. No, not "that time" as that ship sailed a LOOOOONG time ago! :)
    So, you are saying that I must eat my work-out calories?
    Sus
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I am more concerned about your profile picture. What the hell kind of feet are you kissing? :noway: :laugh:
  • susangilbert
    Options
    Not feet, salmon at Pikes in Seattle!
  • susangilbert
    Options
    True, , my clothes are fitting better and I am feeling good (tired at end of week), I was just discouraged.
    Susan
  • susangilbert
    Options
    Wow! That is exactly what happened to me...3 lbs the first week, and this week zip, nada, neicht!
    I appreciate the breakdown! Any other tips for me? You seem to know your stuff!
    SUsan
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat your exercise calories.
    Typically if you don't you dip too low and your body holds onto weight.

First major weightloss is typically water weight.

Keep up the good work, but make sure your eating what you need to.
  • deamarie
    Options
    EAT YOUR CALORIES!!! It seems like a lot of food to consume because I get lots of extra calories from working out. I feel your pain!