how to eat calories burnt in exercise?

Options
Hi all,

I often earn a lot of calories doing exercise, anything up to 1000 (I'm an exercise addict!). I really struggle to eat back anything like this amount and have no idea what kind of foods I should eat.

My weight loss has really ground to a halt so think I need to up calories that I eat...any suggestions how to do this in a healthy way?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same... and Honestly.. i just felt like crap. So you make a decision. Work out less, or eat more. I chose to eat more and it took about 2 weeks for my body to adjust.
    Peanut butter, meal replacement bars, protein shakes, nuts for fat, fruit for carbs, etc.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing to do just plan for those calories, instead of logging them late in the day and then being stuck with a huge deficit. That way, you can work them into each meal with bigger portion sizes of the healthy things you're already eating or by adding a healthy snack or two.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the 1200, and do up to 2000+ exercise at times. I don't eat exercise calories, although I relax a bit when I've done loads - please someone show medical facts that eating more loses weight. I do not believe this, and think starvation mode is something only extreme dieters might suffer, before they starve and die...
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    I had this same problem, so to up my calories I will have no sugar added juice with meals and will enjoy a glass of chocolate milk here and there for added calories when needed. But be sure to spread those calories out through out the day and not have them all in the evening so that you can consume all the calories that you need to without feeling too full and gross.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I too have the same problem but I do have the odd day (well 1 a week) where I am over so do you think that this will balance it self out as I am only say 500 over but, at end of the week I am still 2000 under what I should have eaten.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the 1200, and do up to 2000+ exercise at times. I don't eat exercise calories, although I relax a bit when I've done loads - please someone show medical facts that eating more loses weight. I do not believe this, and think starvation mode is something only extreme dieters might suffer, before they starve and die...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    or if you prefer you can just take a gander at my ticker :wink:
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

There is a lot of information on this topic. From experience though, it's true. I work out twice a day 6 days a week. When I was eating 1200 I didn't lose anything. Now, that I've signed up for this and am actually feeding my body, anywhere from 1880-over 2000 calories a day with a NET at the end of the day of 1250, I've already lost weight and am very close to my body's happiest weight range.

MFP factors in a deficit already. If you eat only 1200, then work off 600, that only leaves your body 600 calories to absorb for nutrients and to use to funtion. While some people think this is fine and say they feel great, that doesn't mean there aren't issues that their bodies are having to deal with from such a low amount of calories.
  • nikkionamission
    Options
    thanks, think I will try and add in some nuts and maybe increase portion sizes slightly. It's difficult to know how many cals I'm going to burn as do exercise at night but I have a rough idea now.

I've not been eating many of the exercise calories up to now, am no longer losing weight, if anything I'm gaining and I've now got a cold and feel exhausted which often happens when I've been in one of my exercise addict phases...I guess that's my body trying to tell me something!

I was eating more fruit but was worried about sugar intake
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    thanks, think I will try and add in some nuts and maybe increase portion sizes slightly. It's difficult to know how many cals I'm going to burn as do exercise at night but I have a rough idea now.

I've not been eating many of the exercise calories up to now, am no longer losing weight, if anything I'm gaining and I've now got a cold and feel exhausted which often happens when I've been in one of my exercise addict phases...I guess that's my body trying to tell me something!

I was eating more fruit but was worried about sugar intake

I don't worry about the sugar from fruit. I only worry about it when it comes from packaged foods. When my sugar goes over, it's due to fruit, not sweets or junk food. Getting my calories can sometimes be tough, especially if it's a high calorie burn day. I shoot for small meals that have a high but healthy caloric load. For instance, breakfast is a slice of all natural, whole wheat toast with all natural peanutbutter, a banana on top and a glass of milk. Small meal but about 400 calories. This helps me reach my goal. I also eat every 2-3 hours to get the calories in.