Riding Lessons

Options
Hey guys....does anyone take Horseback riding lessons?

I'm starting up soon and am curious if anyone counts riding as "exercise"? If so, how do you calculate it?

I'm very excited!

New England, in the fall, on horseback.....yay!

Replies

• DisneyBride13
    Options
    Hey guys....does anyone take Horseback riding lessons?

I'm starting up soon and am curious if anyone counts riding as "exercise"? If so, how do you calculate it?

I'm very excited!

New England, in the fall, on horseback.....yay!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Does pure jealousy burn calories??? I am so wanting to be in your shoes......:wink:
  • monbrew
    Options
    Riding absolutely burns calories. Pending on what type of riding, the more you will burn. If you are taking a riding lesson, no doubt you will be trotting and posting which burns quite a bit. If you really want to burn some calories DO NOT USE stirrups. This not only will strengthen your legs (as well as you give you a great backside) but will burn a tremendous amount of calories. It will also improve your riding equitation as leg control.
  • DisneyBride13
    Options
    ok monbrew! you must ride?!

Thanks for the tip...anytime you want to share a riding tip w/ me.....I'll let ya! lol
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    As soon as you feel how bad your thighs hurt the next day, you won't even have to ask if it burns calories! :laugh:

Are you doing english or western?

I personally feel that english works the legs more (with all the posting and whatnot)

But, western has its positives too!
  • DisneyBride13
    Options
    English

And I cannot wait!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Riding does burn some calories, but not nearly as much as running or biking. There are a few things for riding on MFP - if you were to trot for 30 minutes straight (eek!) you would burn about 200 calories, but I sure cant trot for that long...........not these days anyway!! It does make your arms and legs strong but my sister swears (horse trainer) makes your butt big..................!!!:blushing:
    I would look at it for the fun aspect and as long as you're on horseback it's really difficult to eat!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    It is considered exercise. My daughter rides and she gets a work out
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I ride (and give lessons). It burns tons of calories, depending on how you ride. You enter it in as Horseback riding on the exercise page.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    makes your butt big..................!!!:blushing:
    I

Hey I have actually had the opposite problem. Mine has disappeared since I've been riding more. It has gone flat on me.
  • dmmurray12
    Options
    I count all my horse chores in with my exercise, from riding the 3yr olds , riding my Country English Pleasure show horse, cleaning the barn, etc. The CEP horse helps me burn ALOT of calories in a short amount of time and my shirt is soaking wet when we are done (as well as the horse). :bigsmile:

Here is a site that includes all those horse chores and number of calories burned per weight. http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm.

DM
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm going riding this weekend for the first time in years and I can't WAIT!

Western all the way for me!
  • DisneyBride13
    Options
    I am very excited about riding!

The rate for lessons (going to a friend who has won many many ribbons) is amazing!

At least for New England pricing

Getting 1 hour private lessons on any horse I want for $40.00

Or 30 min private for $25.00 for those weeks I am a bit broke!

I also can go as little or often as I want!

Which is nice!

I will keep all you riding enthusiasts posted on my progress....!

:bigsmile:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Please do keep us posted! I have thought about taking lessons for years and always chicken out. I'd love to hear all about your lessons. I don't know the first thing about horses and around here (Arkansas), that kinda leaves me out of the loop a lot. :blushing:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Does pure jealousy burn calories??? I am so wanting to be in your shoes......:wink:
    I hope cause I would be sooo thin by now!!! I envy you!!!! I do I do!!!!!!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My daughter did her lesson yesterday bareback and she has complained all morning about her legs hurting...so I guess it is a great workout