New to the Message Boards

MichelleRofl
MichelleRofl Posts: 4
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
I've been using this mainly for calorie counting & exercise. But I've just discovered there are a lot of friendly & helpful people on here. I have a few questions for anyone that is interested. First, how did you decide what weight you want to reach? I have goal weights & one final goal weight although I might find happiness & confidence at any of my goal weights. Second, for anyone that tends to binge, what is the best way to stop it? I try getting away from food & think how I'll feel after, but when I'm about to binge it seems there is nothing I can do to stop it. I actually just binged about an hour ago & then went straight to my elliptical.

Hoping to meet some new friends, especially thought with similar goals as mine so we can all support each other. :)

Replies

• amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Ha ha, Michelle. It's funny what you said about the bingeing because that is exactly what I do!! I just did, actually, and now I am feeling tremendously guilty, so I am going to drag my kids and dog out for some "family time" for a walk which will actually be "lessen Lindsay's guilt time". Honestly, I haven't found a good way to stop the bingeing, so when you find it, let me know. As for the goal weight, I was given a range of about 30 pounds by my doctor for my ideal weight. So, I think what I am going to do is try to get to the highest on that range, then see how I feel and look. If I feel like I need to go lower, I will go down by about 5 pounds and see how I feel at that point. That way I don't necessarily have a magic number in my head, but a magic range, so that way I won't feel as discouraged to be at 160, which would be healthy, but have my magic number be 150. You know? Good luck!
  • Working off your binge is a good start but you need to find out what is triggering the binging. For me it was being in my car, now I pack a healthy snack for my 45 minute ride home from work so that I dont binge anymore.

Deciding my goal weight has not happened yet, I have smaller goals and when I get to where I am happy with what I look like and I am healthy I will be there!

Best of luck and if you want to add me please do!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Welcome...you are going to love it here. Make friends with lots of people. The best friends are the ones that have close to the same goals as you or started at the same time as you. Look for those that inspire you.
  • Yeah, I think I'm about to drag my little brother out for a walk to lessen my guilt even more. I try drinking a couple glasses of water before a binge & it helps a little bit. Nothing ever completely stops the binge, but when there is a lot of water in me, my binge is smaller than it would be if I had not drank the water. You should also try getting away from the food for a good ten minutes & in that time, write on a piece of paper how you will feel, what you will get out of it, & how it will keep your farther from your goal weight if you let yourself binge. If you haven't tried these ideas, give them a try. They help me most of the time & I don't binge as much as I used to.
  • seemae
    seemae Posts: 38
    Working off your binge is a good start but you need to find out what is triggering the binging.

Too true. Binging is like any other behavioral problem, the problem isn't the activity, it's what's causing it. The behavior is just a reaction to the problem.

Try and pay attention to what you're doing/what time it is/what you've eaten/what's happening to you/how you feel, that sort of thing, when you get the urge to binge. If you can discover your trigger, you can learn to avoid it or potentially fix it.
    As for the goal weight, I was given a range of about 30 pounds by my doctor for my ideal weight. So, I think what I am going to do is try to get to the highest on that range, then see how I feel and look. If I feel like I need to go lower, I will go down by about 5 pounds and see how I feel at that point. That way I don't necessarily have a magic number in my head, but a magic range, so that way I won't feel as discouraged to be at 160, which would be healthy, but have my magic number be 150.

Same here. I have a range in my mind and I plan to do the same thing. If I feel comfortable and healthy at the highest number in my range with no desire to go any lower, then I may stay at that weight. But I also have a specific number for my ideal weight because I remember the weight I was when I was most comfortable in my skin at this height, before putting on the extra pounds. Though, I'm older now so I may not feel the need to get back down to that weight.
  • MrsMills712
    MrsMills712 Posts: 350
    I chose my goal weight just based upon a weight that I felt most comfortable being. I'm not going to let the number judge my happiness though. I'm still about 8lbs from my goal weight, but I feel good now. I've had to buy new clothes, I've had more energy, I've gained muscle. Those are the things that are deciding for me where I feel the best.
    Oh, and seeing 'normal' range on my Wii Fit was definitely a moment of celebration ;)
    Goals can be changed at any time. Just don't get too bogged down on that number game.

My best attack for binging is by eating the things I want. I don't eat them everyday. I eat less of them, but there is nothing that I haven't ate since starting this weight-loss journey. If I banned the stuff I like to binge on, I would give up altogether. But that is just what works for me. The drinking water thing that you mentioned helps me as well.

Good luck on figuring the best plan of attack for yourself. It's all about finding that happy balance. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.