tempur pedic vs sleep number

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
Ok so this is sort of fitness related since it's hard to work out with a bad back, but since it's a stretch, I'm posting on chit-chat.

My husband and I recently purchased a tempur pedic bed and spent gobs of money. Not only did we get the mattress, but also the thingie that raises the mattress up and down, and massages. The point of spending so much was to help our backs, because we both have bad backs. We both have herniated discs.

Now don't get me wrong, the bed is very comfortable, and I love it, but it seems like since getting it my back has been worse. I thought part of the problem was two weeks ago I slept till noon, and I always pay for that for a week or two, but we're going into week 3 with no relief, and even before the sleep in, my back wasn't feeling great. I try to only take a vicodin when I really need it, and lately that has been damn near everyday. We're still within the return policy, but I don't want to act too hastily, but at the same time, I didn't spend this much money to still be in pain.

If we return it, we'll likely get a sleep number. I've slept on my in-laws sleep number several times, but only once since finding "my number", so its hard to say from just one night, but I really felt great that next morning, no pain. So let me hear your opinions on tempur pedic vs. sleep numbers (if you've had both that would be great). Did either of them alleviate any pain you had been in?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The idea of the Sleep Number bed is great, but in actuality, it's just an air mattress. You have to adjust it every time you change position. It's ridiculously expensive. If you're going to spend a ton of money on a bed you should check out Sterns and Foster mattresses. They are AMAZING!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I've slept on the Sleep Number many times at The Radisson and its no big deal at all. I have a pillow top bed at home and its sooooooooooooo much better! The Sleep Number bed is just a gimmick, it’s an air mattress inside of a mattress and not worth the money at all.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have a sleep number and love it, since my husband likes a hard mattress and I like a soft one. I swear it helped me with shoulder issues a few years ago. I haven't tried the tempurpedic, but I did have one of their pillows and loved it. But eventually the material did break down some and it was no longer as supportive.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I suffer from recurring sciatica and only sleep on a tempur pedic mattress - have for almost five years now. Used to sleep on coiled beds until I learned how bad they are - the coils act as electrical currents that disturb your body's natural biorhythms. It took a few months to get used to my new bed but must say if and when I sleep elsewhere on a different bed I really notice the difference in my quality of sleep.
  • eau_de_vie
    eau_de_vie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We have a Tempurpedic. It took a solid month for me to wake up without a crick in my back. We actually tried to take it back on week two, but the salesman really pushed us to try it for 30 days before deciding to return it. At the end of week 4 I stopped having back discomfort and we kept it. Now, I recommend it to everyone! I love my mattress!! I'm a belly/side sleeper and I couldn't possibly do without my Tempurpedic!!

**disclaimer: I have no chronic back problems. My husband did though, and he said that after 2-3 weeks on the bed his pain was drastically reduced.

We purchased it over 7 years ago and are still happy.
  • lnosgood
    lnosgood Posts: 92
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the Simmon's Beautyrest mattresses. They aren't as expensive as the tempur pedic or the sleep number, but they last for years and are extremely comfortable. They are very durable. The one i have is 20+ yrs old and still extremely comfortable. I'm looking at getting a new one this year, but mine still has probably 5-10 yrs or so left of good usage. Once I replace my mattress my son wants mine LOL. I myself have a bad back, but i can sleep all day and never hurt on this baby! Only time my back hurts from sleeping is if i roll over in my sleep and sleep on my stomach. Then my back kills me in the morning.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Have to say from experience. Get Rid Of the Tempur pedic!!!!! Get the sleep Number!!

My husband and I purchased the tempur and we had it on layaway for about 9 months. We got it and due to extreme circumstances we did not sleep in it for a while after we got it. Husband had neck surgery and could not sleep laying down after he got home, so I slept on the couch with him for over a month. By the time I got to sleep in the bed I noticed my back was gettin no relief. Hubby either. So when we went to "return" it they said our warranty was up because it started when we bought it...even though we did not have it.

Long story short. We spent a ton of money on a bed we can't use. Been saving for a sleep number but it will be a while. Husband can't sleep in the bed at ALL, so I sleep alone and endure the morning backache. I have arthritis in my back and hubby has fused discs.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    We have a store in town that will allow you to try out different mattresses for 30 days and if you don't like it you can return it for another mattress or a full refund. You might look for a store such as this when you purchase mattresses in the future
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    We have a Tempurpedic. It took a solid month for me to wake up without a crick in my back. We actually tried to take it back on week two, but the salesman really pushed us to try it for 30 days before deciding to return it. At the end of week 4 I stopped having back discomfort and we kept it. Now, I recommend it to everyone! I love my mattress!! I'm a belly/side sleeper and I couldn't possibly do without my Tempurpedic!!

**disclaimer: I have no chronic back problems. My husband did though, and he said that after 2-3 weeks on the bed his pain was drastically reduced.

We purchased it over 7 years ago and are still happy.

Good to know that it can take a while. I plan on giving it the full 60 days, but right now I wasn't too optimistic. Thanks!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    We have a store in town that will allow you to try out different mattresses for 30 days and if you don't like it you can return it for another mattress or a full refund. You might look for a store such as this when you purchase mattresses in the future

Our bed has a 60 day return policy and the paperwork says that studies have shown it can take up to that long for your body to get used to it. So we still have 30+ days to decide yay or nay.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My husband just got a tempur pedic mattress pad and i freaking hate it.I feel like im sleeping on a sponge and wake up everyday with something hurting
  • frecklemouse3k
    Options
    Have tried both and have to say tempurpedic won in my house. I think it is really just preference. The first couple weeks I did hate it though. But my husbands back no longer gives out and we even spent the money for tempurpedic for the kids. Well worth it. One tip if you get it: rotate it every year or so, we rotate it at the spring forward time change.