Just can't get a start

Options
So I started back on keeping track and trying to eat better. Well that only lasted a few day. I know I want to lose weight and feel better. But I am stuck n a rut. I see recent pictures of myself and I am disgusted. I wake up with no energy and feeling like a big blob. I am not trying to feel sorry for myself. But how and what can I do to change my mindset? I need a good push in the right direction. I see the success stories and photos and it gives me hope and inspiration. How do I begin again?

Replies

• SlimmingSarah
    Options
    You can restart at any time! You just have to stop and make the conscious decision that you dont want to be this way forever. That's what I did last time I dropped a tonne of weight! And that's what I have done this time. Do you have an iPhone? In which case log everything! And if you are honest with your counter you will think before eating things because you will have to face the calories afterwards.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!! find some good friend on here to get you going, if you dont hear from them in a week or two kickem out and find some more. 80% of mine get me ready for the week, day, hour. good luck and get out there and burn it up!!
  • jessicafreake
    Options
    If you are having a hard time with getting started then start slow, a large change in diet to all healthy can trigger unhealthy cravings and binge eating, so try having a really good breakfast to stat off the day, and after a week change another meal in the day or your snacks to healthier ones, and you will notice a difference in your energy levels after a short period of doing this that will help you to get motivated to exercise and change bad habits to good ones.

Good luck
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I dove right in. No more soda (I wasn't supposed to have it anyway, been caffiene free for years due to health troubles) is a great first step. Drinking as much water as you can possibly drink is a great step too!

Log all your food. Doesn't matter if you eat too much or too little or bad stuff for the first few days. LOG IT. be honest!!

After a week or so, you will see how poorly you eat (that is what happened to me, at least) and feel the need to change. DO IT :happy:

Choose a better breakfast, or a better snack, or a better lunch, dinner... OR ALL OF THEM.

It is UP TO YOU when to start, how to start. I hope today is the day :smile:

You will see these side effects:
    happier
    more energy
    weight loss
    clothes not fitting as tight
    and in some cases, clearer skin

YOU CAN DO THIS :happy:
  • Startingover71
    Options
    Just take it day by day, maybe set small goals for yourself, like lose 5 pounds by a certain date. Something that will not make you feel overwhelmed. Add some friends on here that can keep you positive and are there to listen to you when you have a bad day. Feel free to add me! :smile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. Start exercising and eating right again and you'll feel better right away. You'll have more energy and you'll be happier knowing you're making good progress. Just do it, don't make any excuses.
  • Skydancer80
    Options
    I had the same problem wanted to do it wanted but never did started vitamins HELP sooo soo much with energy and well i am quite sick of going to walmart and trying to find a shirt thats not a moo moo :( ......I WILL PUSH YOU ON YOUR WAY YOU CAN DO IT!!!! ADD ME UP ;)
  • josio
    josio Posts: 1
    Options
    Start with something small at first. Try changing one thing about your diet this week like no sodas or no fries. Then try to do a small walk or something to get moving. It will not seem as bad if you don't just try to change everything all at once. Remember it's not how fast you get there it's the fact that you get ther at all. This should be a lifestyle change and eventually will not feel like "work".
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    You will get your motivation when the pain to stay the same exceeds the pain to change. Losing weight can be hard but staying unfit is hard too. Choose your hard. Good luck! :)
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What helped me this time was two-fold;

1. Joining a local biggest loser contest - gave me a point of accountability for 8 weeks and guess what? I won first place!
    2. Decided to take it one day at a time and every morning I asked myself - wonder what I can accomplish today? And then I seriously only focused on that day.

So nine weeks later and I'm totally committed to seeing just how far I can take this.

YOU DON'T KNOW YOURSELF WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE IT IN YOU TO GET MOVING - TO EAT HEALTHIER - TO BE MOTIVATED BEYOND YOUR WILDEST IMAGINATION!

JUST TAKE THE FIRST STEP AND DO IT!!!!
  • susanna3220
    susanna3220 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I know what you mean losing weight is so hard for me because while food makes me fat my brain emotion and obsessive nature is the source of it all FOr me it helps to take a just for today mindset sometimes I have to take the day minutes at a time. Once I figured out my food plan ( I have to avoid certian foods that trigger overeating, protein at every meal) it helped reduced some cravings there are some supllements that help if you have carb cravings. Night is my WORST time I try to distract myself w a project and even keep some light weights in fron tof my tv so I can do some wt training ( not much 5 lbs ) but it makes me feel that I am breaking the cycle and building some muscle which burns cal even at rest Take Care SUsanna
    PS please dont put yourself down you are beautiful ,you need to put your energy to small steos that will make big changes
  • lfafnis
    lfafnis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you are having a hard time with getting started then start slow, a large change in diet to all healthy can trigger unhealthy cravings and binge eating, so try having a really good breakfast to stat off the day, and after a week change another meal in the day or your snacks to healthier ones, and you will notice a difference in your energy levels after a short period of doing this that will help you to get motivated to exercise and change bad habits to good ones.

Good luck

This is really good advice. Rome wasn't built in a day, so don't expect to get on track all in a day. Start out slow and make small changes. And don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon. Focus instead on those couple of good days. They still count towards having overall better health. Keep trying, never give up!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You will get your motivation when the pain to stay the same exceeds the pain to change. Losing weight can be hard but staying unfit is hard too. Choose your hard. Good luck! :)

You will get your motivation when the pain to stay the same exceeds the pain to change

Great quote!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as "starting" anything. Just cut out the stuff you don't want to be eating. It's not a challenge or a hardship or something to surmount. You are just giving yourself a healthier lifestyle.
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I was there for longest time....like 3 years. Then I got tired of it all. Tired of not feeling right in my clothes. Tired of people drawing conclusions based on my appearance. Tired of not feeling energy. I was sick of where I was, and I knew that I was the only person that could change it. Are you there? If so, that's the first step. Its going to take some dedication, some sacrifices, some changes in how you do things, but its so worth it. The success becomes contagious - a force on its own. You will not fail. And it can start now if you want it to. Stick to your calories - make good food choices - get used to being a little bit hungry - and exercise, however you can, even if starts with just going for a walk a couple of times a day. You can do this. SSG
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Just start. Seriously. You know what you have to do so just do it. This website is full of support. Now start making better choices.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Start with something small at first. Try changing one thing about your diet this week like no sodas or no fries. Then try to do a small walk or something to get moving. It will not seem as bad if you don't just try to change everything all at once. Remember it's not how fast you get there it's the fact that you get ther at all. This should be a lifestyle change and eventually will not feel like "work".

I agree, some people can dive right in but others need to start off slowly until they start to become more accustomed. I for one started cutting down portions and exercising twice a week. Then after I saw that little effort give me some results its motivated me to cut out more and exercise more. I still have a long way to go so I know how you feel. Some days will be better than others, some days you'll be over your calorie goal and not feel like working out. The point is you cannot give up, you'll trip but don't let yourself fall.
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think (as someone else already mentioned) that logging your food could be a great place to start. At the start just put it all in, the good and the bad, and once you start seeing where all the extra calories and sugar and fat is, you might decide to make some changes. For me it's really helpful to have it all in front of me, and to have a number limit, because it makes me make decisions based on the fact that I don't want to blow out my numbers....
  • yvonne0526
    Options
    I think you took the most important step and that was being brutally honest with yourself...that you want to change. It's okay to make mistakes, we're all human. Some of us may have children, stressful jobs and in the midst of all this, trying to find time for ourselves. You have to first invision how you want to see yourself. You have to consider, what weight or body type would make you happy. Be realistic. Take it step by step and if you happen to fall off your regimine because you ate something unhealthy or missed a workout, don't get discouraged. It's not that one cheat meal or missed day at the gym that's going to ruin your whole weightloss, it's the continued pattern of "oh I failed" that will leave anyone to keep habitually falling into a negative rut. As dumb as this may sound, I would right down my goals and read them every morning. I would cut out a few pictures of female fitness models in magazines and put a picture of my face on it. I would post these pictures on my bathroom mirror, my refridgerator, to make me remember why I was doing all this, to reach my goals. Also, I would have a pair of jeans that I was determined to fit into...my goal size. I would attempt to put them on every morning, to just keep me in check. I would put the jeans on a hanger and where I could see them, like my bedroom door. Don't give up!!! As silly as some of these things may sound, it helped me get back to my pre-pregnancy weight after having two babies. Best of luck!! You definently can do it!!:smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Start by logging. Perhaps commit to a week where you log everything, don't change your regular eating but log it.
    This is what got me going, just by logging I am more concious of what I'm eating.