Weigh-ins...

Options
One big problem I had with trying to lose weight in the past is weighing WAY too often. I would weigh myself almost every day and drive myself insane with every pound that either went up or DIDN'T go down. It was crazy and I guess I didn't realize how bad of an idea the whole constant weighing was. I just SO BADLY wanted to know if i was losing weight (and obviously it didn't show a huge difference after a week of weighing and I started to lose motivation fast).
So, I know better than that now...but what do you guys recommend for when/how often to weigh in? I'm guessing once a week is probably best...?

Replies

• hellenyork
    Options
    I asked the same question and everyone pretty much told me that once a week was best. I just picked one day and weight myself first thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, and always make sure I'm wearing the same thing!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I weight in every Monday morning. If I don't drop 3 lbs from the prior week, I pick up the work outs and do doubles. I sometimes weight myself through out the week just to see if I am on track. But remember, your body weight will go up as the day goes on. So always do it first thing or the morning!
  • adholcomb
    adholcomb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Once a week is perfect. Also, measure your waist and hips. You may have a week that you do not loose, but those measurements will tell a tale. Those inches will go. It helps keep you motivated. Good luck on your journey.
  • Doberwomann
    Options
    Guilty......I weigh myself everyday too x cant help it xx
  • mellisasteven
    Options
    I weigh myself every other week. For me personally I have lost more inches than weight. So even though that scale is not going down like you want you could still be loosing inches. I measure on the first Monday of every month. Good luck!
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    In a fitness book I read recently the author said once a week is best, and suggested Wednesday because it gives you a couple days to recover from any damage possibly done by the weekend. Now I know we're all dedicated EVEN on the weekends ;), but it didn't seem like a bad suggestion to follow anyways =)
  • Giovanni_P
    Giovanni_P Posts: 107
    Options
    Guilty......I weigh myself everyday too x cant help it xx

Same here.
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to weigh myself every Monday morning, but found myself 'cheating' and weighing myself on Friday too. It's hard to wait for the week to end to see any progress. I think once a week is best though. I was weighing in every day and got really discouraged.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day too! Bad idea because it drives me nuts every pound that goes up and down too. I've noticed that when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed can make a big difference in weigh just from a few hours. So make sure if you're weighing yourself once a week, so it at the same time, right when you wake up, or right when you go to bed. Most accurate.
  • kacka68
    kacka68 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Once a week, in the morning, naked, after toilet issues have been taken care of. Having said that, I sneek a peak halfway though the week.....it gives me motivation to either keep going, or change it up, depending on what I see on the scales.
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! To those of you who are weighing every day...BE CAREFUL...it gets soooo discouraging very fast!
    I'm going to go with weighing in every Sunday morning because I have time to weigh myself and actually enter my weight loss...or gain:embarassed: ...afterwards. On week day mornings I don't have a lot of time when getting ready for school (I'm slow in the morning...lol).

I didn't think about making sure you're wearing the same thing when weighing! I'll wear my leggings because they weigh like nothing and a tank top. I'm also going to do an update picture every month wearing skin tight pants (my leggings) and a tank top so **HOPEFULLY** I will actually be able to SEE the results!:happy:

I also didn't think about the measuring! I will make sure to do that every Sunday too!
  • Romira
    Romira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of this as well. I weigh myself first thing every morning. If I see I have gone up any amount of weight it makes me work even harder at my workout that day. I think there is no real answer...it is what ever works for you. :)
  • lisapickering
    Options
    In a fitness book I read recently the author said once a week is best, and suggested Wednesday because it gives you a couple days to recover from any damage possibly done by the weekend. Now I know we're all dedicated EVEN on the weekends ;), but it didn't seem like a bad suggestion to follow anyways =)

I used to weigh myself all the time and had the same issue of getting frustrated. Now it's once a week on Wednesday... with the same theory of correcting any weekend issues! I'm a big Biggest Loser fan so I do a last chance workout on Tuesday nights!
  • EquestrianLark135
    EquestrianLark135 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself all the time and had the same issue of getting frustrated. Now it's once a week on Wednesday... with the same theory of correcting any weekend issues! I'm a big Biggest Loser fan so I do a last chance workout on Tuesday nights!
    I've never really watched Biggest Loser...but I love Jillian Michaels! I want a body liker HERS! haha :ohwell: I heard she's leaving Biggest loser, though...
    Anyway, I may have to start watching that show.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I don't get discouraged by stalls or slight gains - I know those are normal. But I'm super energized by losses, even the little .2 ones!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Once a week hon. Set a day for yourself (I chose Friday) and I do it as soon as I wake up after you use the restroom (#1 and #2). I stare at my scale everyday but I know that I'd drive myself crazy if I did it everyday. It's just better to do it once instead of stressing over if you gain anything. OF COURSE You'll gain weight after you eat, exercise, drink water...and when you have your period. It's just stressing yourself out for no reason. Do yourself the favor and do it once a week.
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day, but i made sure i knew not to dwell on every gain.
    I now weigh every week, and i think friday is the best morning to do it, because then if you are a bit naughty overthe weekend, you've got the whole week to recover :)