comfort food is my best friend..

Options
Losing weight is hard to do. It's hard to eat good whole foods when chocolate cake makes me feel so happy! I look forward to Fridays because its "pizza night." I love going out and eating fattening foods ok? Changing my life style is like saying goodbye to my best friend until I meet my new best friend (healthy food). Right now the new friend is not as enjoyable as my old friend. So I need all the help I can get to get healthy. I just started yesterday and would love it if you would join me.:wink:

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can do this...you will find different ways to make your comfort foods, only make them healthier. Try diet coke and chocolate cake mix and bake..that's your sweets! Pizza made on a pita bread or while wheat tortilla is great....lots of great recipes are posted on this site. Welcome and good luck!!
  • jenhasit
    jenhasit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I definitely hear you. I love certain foods (pot pies, gravy, etc) but I know those foods and my lack of moderation is what got me where I am.

I wanted Swiss Chalet the other day, so I had it. I chose a salad instead of fries. Baby steps. :)

I just started a couple weeks back. It's hard, but doable! Good luck!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I have been using Atkins recipes, Gluten Free Recipes and sugar free. It's working. The cravings are going away.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Mini pizzas made on Light English muffins ( or thoes 100 cal sandwitch rounds) are good too. I am a big eat out-er. So I find I can get that variety by eating lean cusines for lunch...add a healthy salad and I am full and happy.
    Weekends are another thing all together :tongue: I am pretty new here too. It's a work in progress.
    I have to say, I love having friends with an "open food diary", It gives me great ideas on how to eat healthy snd not sacrifice taste.
    Good luck to you :drinker:
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I love comfort food too! I LOVE pizza, chocolate, milo etc etc and I love to eat LOTS of it! *sighs*
    But the more healthy food I eat, the easier it is to eat smaller amounts of junk food. I agree with above, its all about the baby steps!
    Good luck!
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the comfort food issue! I just bought the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook and it looks really, really good! I've tried one chicken dish and it was delish! They have recipes from appetizers to desserts. I've already picked out a few recipes and will be trying those out. I'll send you a friend request, we can do this together! :happy:
  • tysi
    tysi Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas :)
  • tysi
    Options
    Thank you!
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    tally with you i love comfort food to i have decided when i have a craving for something im gonna search for a healthier version and atleast try it
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MMMmm......pizza :) instead of picking up my favorite pizza I goto Cici's and pick up a few up, their pizza is 130-145 a slice a lot better then the one I love thats 500+ a slice
  • fudie
    fudie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i love food! im a huge comfort eater! i would sneak it in any change i got. but when i hit my highest weight i knew something had to change. i started adding in new things and after a while i dont miss the junk. i still have my cheese its just low calorie and my snacks they are just in moderation! try low sugar snacks and baby bel cheeses they are craving helpers :) ive learned moderation is key. is it ok for me to have a cookie? yeah but i dont need 20 cookies
  • tysi
    Options
    So true!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the comfort food issue! I just bought the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook and it looks really, really good! I've tried one chicken dish and it was delish! They have recipes from appetizers to desserts. I've already picked out a few recipes and will be trying those out. I'll send you a friend request, we can do this together! :happy:

I'm gonna have to go find that cookbook! Sounds great!