Overestimating Calories Burned

Options
When I see people's exercise numbers that are something like this:

So-and-so burned 1,150 calories doing 55 minutes of exercise

I can't help but wonder if they're trying to impress someone? Trying to make their numbers work at the end of the day? Just completely crazy to think they're burning that much?

Unless the exercise is "Running from a bear.... who's hungry" The reality is, you're probably not burning 1,150 ADDITIONAL calories in under an hour. If it's a home program or an exercise class, that probably includes a lighter warm-up as well as a stretching part, not to mention breaks. If you're wearing a HRM and it says that number, then it's including your basic burn that you would have burned even if laying on the couch watching TV. (and also, I suspect, even then is too high.)

I suppose hitting a huge number is possible for someone who's truly pushing at their honest, ultimate max; but as a trainer and a class teacher, you rarely, if ever see ultimate effort. It can happen, but it is rare and far between these examples.

Look, in the end, who cares! Not me - if seeing the big number helps you - then by all means, keep putting it up, but if you are really, truly looking to make your goals - let's be a little more realistic folks.

Replies

• dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    I agree...takes me an hour and 45 minutes to burn just over 1000 calories doing one hour of elliptical and 45 minutes of walking at 3.5mph on treadmill. I don't get it either.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing a HRM and it says that number, then it's including your basic burn that you would have burned even if laying on the couch watching TV. (and also, I suspect, even then is too high.)

Never thought of that. So should we HRM-users be subtracting our basal calorie expenditure for the time we're exercising (BMR/24 hours * time exercising)?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I've wondered the same. The most I've ever burned was around 700 and that was on a 23ish mile bike, and of course it took longer than an hour. I don't think I would want to burn that much because I don't think I could possibly find time in the day to eat all of that back :laugh:
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat back your exercise calories and base it on a HRM that includes your daily burn, then you're actually overeating.
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    So, I usually hit 1000 on my HRM during my Zumba classes. I am really moving and grooving during it. Do you think this is an innacurate number? I start it as soon as class starts and stop it as soon as I stop dancing.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing. Thanks for the info. I could never burn that many calories as I see some people's statuses.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat back your exercise calories and base it on a HRM that includes your daily burn, then you're actually overeating.

I rarely eat back all of my exercise calories, but that doesn't really answer my question as to how to get a more accurate calorie count.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If you're wearing a HRM and it says that number, then it's including your basic burn that you would have burned even if laying on the couch watching TV. (and also, I suspect, even then is too high.)

Never thought of that. So should we HRM-users be subtracting our basal calorie expenditure for the time we're exercising (BMR/24 hours * time exercising)?

When I first got my HRM, I logged exactly what it said I burned, but then someone pointed out the fact that you actually burned less because some of that you would have burned anyway just sitting around. So I did the math and figured out how much to deduct and did that for a while....but then I found it very disheartening because I'd work my butt off to burn 400 calories, then have to subtract 100. So I stopped doing that, lol. BUT to make up for it, I only count my calories burned until the moment I stop exercising. So say for example, today when I got off the bike it said I had burned 500.....walking around and stretching, my heart rate was still up in the 160's....140's for a while as it gradually came down. I don't count any of that. It probably doesn't make up for it totally, but then again I don't always eat every last exercise calorie, I usually have at least 40-80 left over so I figure it all washes.
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    So, I usually hit 1000 on my HRM during my Zumba classes. I am really moving and grooving during it. Do you think this is an innacurate number? I start it as soon as class starts and stop it as soon as I stop dancing.

I would guess that's high. of course, that's just a guess, not seeing you and effort wise- but it's up to you to judge.

I usually tell clients to estimate on a scale of 1-10 on effort. That's how many calories you burned per minute. This is a little low, but accounts for breaks, warm-up, cool-down and times that you're just not bringing it hard.

So 60 minute Zumba at 7 effort level would be 420 additional calories. (not counting couch calories)
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

I am guessing this is inaccurate. When I do an hour of Zumba, I burn about 450 calories. The most I burn is from running and that is usually about 550 calories in 60 minutes.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Add to that, the fact that a lot of people see a calorie estimate at some early point in their fitness history (whether on a HRM or a machine at the gym) and assume it stays about the same over time. As your body gets more fit, you'll burn less doing the same exercise since your body "learns" to be efficient at it. So it will take you less energy to accomplish what once required xxx calories. Also, as you lose weight, you'll need to take a new look at your total burn - it will go down.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options

Probably not super inaccurate. Just take your BRM and divide it by 24, that should give you the amount of calories you burn in an hour doing nothing. Then subtract this from what your HRM says and you should be pretty golden!
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    Agreed! Add to that, the fact that a lot of people see a calorie estimate at some early point in their fitness history (whether on a HRM or a machine at the gym) and assume it stays about the same over time. As your body gets more fit, you'll burn less doing the same exercise since your body "learns" to be efficient at it. So it will take you less energy to accomplish what once required xxx calories. Also, as you lose weight, you'll need to take a new look at your total burn - it will go down.

agreed.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    so hrm factor in what you would be burning doing nothing??? how do u figure out what u burned exercising then?? please explain
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    Ok I have a question..I tested my HRM the other day (1 minute before my workout) and it said I burned 2.4 calories while sitting still. According to MFP I only burn 1 calorie per minute. How do I know which is correct?? I usually burn about 250 calories according to my HRM working out for 45 minutes (turbo jams) and this is AFTER subtracting 1.4 calories per minutes for BMR. Also how do I KNOW if my HRM is already taking my BMR into account?? My HRM ask for my weight, age, height and sex when setting up for HRM mode My guide doesn't specify this but it does state •Calories burned are based on your age, gender, relative heart rate and total time of exercise. I am at a 1200 calorie day and don't want to go WAY over but also don't want to be WAY under. Any help appreciated.
  • stevemcknight
    Options

Probably not super inaccurate. Just take your BRM and divide it by 24, that should give you the amount of calories you burn in an hour doing nothing. Then subtract this from what your HRM says and you should be pretty golden!

Well, not quite - BRM takes into account sleeping vs. waking times, and food digestion times (or best calorie burner.)
  • southernlay_d
    Options
    I do not want this to be so difficult :cry: Please do not make me do math! LOL
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that in my own recording. I just figured out that I can change my cal burn. I am just learning Turbo Jam & they claim over 400 cals for 25 minutes! I KNOW that's not right for me! Thank goodness I wasn't eating all my w/o cals back!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    However, small people and big people burn different amounts of energy/calories doing the same exact thing. My husband and I take the same hour long 4 mile walk, but he burn almost 1/3 more calories....

When I weighed 40 pounds more than I do right now, I burned more calories walking/ climbing stairs/ doing yoga than I do now that I'm more fit.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    so hrm factor in what you would be burning doing nothing??? how do u figure out what u burned exercising then?? please explain

Take your BMR and divide it by 24 to find out what you burn on average in an hour. The subtract this from what your HRM says. This is fairly accurate :smile: