Headaches?

Options
I just started limiting calories (to about 1200) and exercising a little this past week, and I have been having some bad headaches. I have one right now!

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if anyone has any ideas what it could be or what to do about them? :/

Replies

• JD1805
    JD1805 Posts: 45
    Options
    how much water have you been drinking?
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    You might not be eating enough if you aren't eating back at least some of your exercise cals. I also tend to get headaches if I don't drink enough water. Hope you feel better!
  • needa1
    needa1 Posts: 8
    Options
    Make sure that you are staying hydrated with water and just make sure that your net calories are over 1200, i was not eating enough and that gave me headaches, and i was exercising to hard, so try to cut your workout in half, vs doing an hour, do 30mins morn and 30 mins at night.. some of these may help...
  • leslieaht
    leslieaht Posts: 14
    Options
    Could be caffeine withdrawal, especially if you have gone off soft drinks and lattes cold turkey. Maybe try some green tea for a few days and see if that helps.
  • cie247
    cie247 Posts: 4
    Options
    Let's hope it's just your body getting used to the reduction in calorie consumption. If the headaches continue after a couple of weeks, I'd suggest you call your doctor.

Good Luck!
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You may be having blood sugar headaches. As in... you're not eating enough calories so you're blood sugar is low already, then if you add exercise to it you're aggravating it. Or something like that. I sometimes get headaches when I exercise too hard. (afterwards) or if I don't exercise for a while and then exercise like I would normally do before not doing it.
  • iamdee28
    iamdee28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Im drinking 8 glass's of water a day and burning 600-700 calories a day plus weights. I just put it down to the body adjusting...my head is killing me right now aswell!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Could be caffeine withdrawal, especially if you have gone off soft drinks and lattes cold turkey. Maybe try some green tea for a few days and see if that helps.

thats what I was going to say. Did you give up caffiene when you dropped your calories? I take Excedrin for my headaches.
  • yepratt
    yepratt Posts: 26
    Options
    be careful! the headaches may be your body telling you that you are not taking in enough calories!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I know when I first started my lifestyle change, I cut soda cold turkey. I had headaches for about 3 days. I don't drink soda anymore but I do have a cup of 1/2 caffeine coffee (Folgers) and it has helped me and wakes me up =) Sugar withdrawal might have something to do with it too.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm prone to migraines and headaches and they happen for many reasons.

Sometimes I get headaches when I'm hungry and need to eat.

I also get headaches when my sugar is too low (I have low blood sugar and low blood pressure levels to begin with). Conversely, too much sugar gives me a headache.

Too much protein and not enough carbs gives me a headache.

I get headaches when I'm constipated and need to drink more water.

Excess sodium gives me a headache.

Sometimes I get headaches after a really intense strength training or cardio workout.

Stress definitely gives me a headache.

A poor night's sleep can cause me to have a headache. You can add my husband's snoring and three meowing cats into that category too lol!

Today I've had a headache most of the day - not sure why. Partly stress, partly low blood sugar levels, partly too much strenuous cardio, partly because it's a full moon (I always get a ravenous headache around the time of the full moon), and partly getting close to that time of the month.

Perhaps to help you figure out why you're getting headaches you could keep a one week journal of everything that is happening in your life, including sleep patterns, diet and exercise, stress factors, emotional upsets, etc. It might help you narrow down what's really going on.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    I use to suffer from tremendous migraine headaches and wasn't until i took a super nutritious supplement that not only did my migraines vanish but I didn't suffer from caffeine withdrawls and no longer have coffee. Amazing what great nutrition will do for
    the body. For me I have sustained energy, no more naps, less cravings, no more depression, and so much more. Headaches especially migraines can take you out of the game for sure. Help you get to the bottom of it. Hugs and Happy Health, Colleen
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yeah both sugar and caffeine are a rough ride to get off of when you go cold turkey. I did the same and the headaches sucked for 3-4 days. After that it was smooth sailing though.
  • avigorblush
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, guys!

I guess I'll have to change my food goals and see how that goes- right now it's 1200. And I haven't had intense workouts or anything. I definitely haven't worked out more than 30 min in a day. And as far as caffeine withdrawal- I'm not much of a coke person and the if I drink coffee every now and then it's decaf.