Obsessed about calories

Options
I've only been on MFP for less than a week and my husband says I need to stop obsessing about the calories. Don't get me wrong, he's excited for me that I found something I really like and am happy to stick to. He's just tired of hearing about how many calories are in what I'm eating (I don't tell him how many calories are in what he's eating...) and how many calories I burned in my workout. "I can't eat that, it has 270 calories and I only have 127 left for the day...or "I just burned 308 calories in the pool!"

Am I really going overboard by keeping such close tabs on what goes in my mouth and what I sweat out? Isn't that the point to this website?

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You're not going overboard at all. The whole point of this is to know what you're putting in your mouth and what you're expending through normal daily activities and exercise! If you weren't keeping tabs you wouldn't be getting the results that you deserve. Congrats on taking it seriously!!
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    in my opinion, totally the point lol When I first started I was like that too lol and i still am about my work out calories lol
    But I dont announce it to my hubby any more, he started rolling his eyes at me one night when I was measuring out some chocolate milk so I would go over lol
    Keep up the hard work, I think it is great to know what you are eating and how much you are putting in your mouth and working off!
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    seriously. i am doing the same thing. don't worry. it is only going to help us. :)
  • brocflores
    brocflores Posts: 111
    Options
    I know exactly what ur talking about my husband says the same. I have an iPhone and I do everything on here. He's always saying ok already your always on the phone. Cause I'm either logging in what I ate or logging in my activity or if we go eat out I look at the meal plan ahead of time. I'm always on YouTube so yeah... For me it's I need constant motivation so that's what works for me and I'm gonna stick w it I dnt want to lose interest and give up.
  • Jenna1971
    Jenna1971 Posts: 28
    Options
    It is so nice to see someone else with my problem! I am totally obsessed. I hope that as time goes on it will not be such a focal point of my conversations. I just raided the recycle bin to see the calorie count of the fruit we had with dinner.... good grief! What has come over me! :happy:
  • RuthieHM
    RuthieHM Posts: 8
    Options
    No. My husband started his diet/joined MyFitnessPal 3 or 4 weeks after I started, and I felt the same way during that period of time when I was dieting alone. Once he joined, he became just as dedicated to calorie counting as I did, if not more. It is not called "obsessing". It is called being dedicated to your diet and health. It is the most positive thing you can do for yourself. I don't want to be one to analyze a relationship I know nothing about, but maybe he is a bit envious of your dedication to your health? I say, keep it up! It has done wonders for my health, confidence and waistline! We're all in this together.
  • MaKisMom
    MaKisMom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same. Of course, he can eat whatever he wants and never gain a pound. I don't think you're going overboard with thinking about the calories, and I'm sure he means to be supportive, but he probably just doesn't understand it. The one thing I have to say about obsessing about calories (I've done the weight loss thing after each baby, so I get pretty into it) is that they really can become as obsession. They can control your life. Yes, we need to be aware of what we're eating, but try not to let your day be consumed with thoughts of your calories.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Pay the same attention to your calories and exercise - just talk about it less. That's what your friends on MFP are for. Some spouses can't bear to hear about it over and over again! Good luck!
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! :)
    You are doing what you are supposed to. In order to get results you need to keep track of the calories that you are eating and the calories that you are burning.
  • shoog883
    shoog883 Posts: 29
    Options
    I understand your husband probably loves you just the way you are and hates to see you worry so much about what you're eating...but frankly, the way you lose weight is to watch what you eat (and exercise, of course). Maybe explain to him that this is important to you and in order to feel better about yourself you need to watch what you eat.

When I told my husband I wanted to lose weight, he told me, "oh don't lose too much, I love your body!" Although this was super sweet of him to say, I wasn't comfortable in my own skin and had to change something. He's been really supportive and I think he enjoys seeing me feel good about myself.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck in your weight loss endeavor!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i get the same thing...

maybe the blog will help *S*
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShellyMacchi/view/words-without-power-82745
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    OMG! I thought I was the only one. My bf tells me I am obsessed. He sees me measuring everything. We have a free personal trainer at our apt who I am friends with and everytime I see her I ramble on about the calories. You are not alone!!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi....no you aren't going overboard because I was the same way when I joined a month ago. I will tell you that you become less obsessive after awhile. I think it is just such an eye opening experience for you when you do realize how much you are really eating. I wasn't used to tracking everything I ate and I was amazed. Of course, I still bug my husband here and there lol but now I pretty much no how to balance out the calories for the day so I can have dinner! The more you do it, the less of a chore is becomes to you. You are right on track:) The best of luck to you!!!
  • Shari62
    Shari62 Posts: 7
    Options
    Glad to know I am not the only one doing this! It is crazy, isn't it, the things you learn about food here. It makes it easier to avoid those foods that cause weight gain, I think. Don't worry about it, people who are not counting calories just don't want to hear how bad the food is that they are eating!
  • wannabefit4life
    Options
    No, you're not. You're being aware of what you're putting in and out of your body.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I dont think you're going overboard at all... after all thats the point of this site right lol. Funny though cause when reading your post i was thinking hmm sounds like me and I had to ask my hubby if it bothers him or does he ever get tired of hearing me talk about calories and hes like nope not at all lol... phew.. not like I would stop anyways but you know. Keep it up.. it'll get you where you want to be ;)
  • lizbestus
    lizbestus Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing as well, except its not just my husband that hears it lol its my entire family and my co-workers!!!!:laugh:
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This is coming from my husbands mouth to my fingers to your screen.

Your husband/wife/partner is supposed to be your biggest cheerleader even if they arent playing the same game as you. If your excited about it your going to succeed and the minute you stop being excited about it and it becomes a chore, your partner needs to help you find your way back to the excitment and come along for the journey of a healthy happy new you. You dont have to tell them about every calorie but they need to be informed so they can help you when you need it the most. You could tell them about your goals, your devotion to yourself, your daily weekly monthly successes.
    Maybe talk to him about why your changing your life, that it has nothing to do with him and not loving the life you have with him, its about giving to yourself and where you want to be in your own body mind and soul.

Dont give up if your feeling unsupported just come here and we will all be here to give you a pick me up
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your excitement means that this whole thing is worth it to you. It shows your commitment to being healthy.

My husband once told me that he didn't want to know if I was making him eat healthier - I do the grocery shopping and cook most meals. He also doesn't want me to obsess about my calories so I just tell him how excited I am about a great new recipe or that I feel really great after my work out. He always has encouraging words then. And when I lose weight I get a high five and job well done because he knows how hard I've worked. Do I let him see me measure my food or count how many crackers I am going to eat? Nope. And if he does I get an eye roll. Eventually I will get a food scale - I can't wait for that conversation! lol!
  • jimmymonkey
    Options
    Oh my gosh...sounds familiar, but like everyone says, that's what it's all about. I have MFP on my ipod and I too am always on it. I need that constant "check-in" to keep me on track....I'm at a bit of a stand still right now, but that's ok--not going to let it get me down. I'll keep on tracking everything I take in. I've never felt so positive before. :bigsmile: