C25K (Week 5) Advise, please?

Options
It's a beautiful day out there, and since it's a workout day for me, I thought I'd do today's C25K workout outside, instead of my usual treadmill run.

This is week 5 day 1, though -- today, I step up to 3 jogs at 5 minutes each. Here's my question for any of you who have gotten to week 5:

it seems that running on streets is supposed to be tougher than running on a treadmill. Taking that into consideration, as well as the fact that this run will be tougher than anything I've seen to date, I'm wondering what you think: should I go for a workout outdoors today, or just stick with the treadmill today and start outside another day?

Thanks!

Replies

• kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    Options
    Running outside is so much easier - you can focus more on getting somewhere. Find a car parked up a head, a building, something to focus on to get you further and further. I do feel it's a little harder to be outside, so don't be disappointed on your distance.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go outside! You'll love it and it's better for you anyway, as it takes a lot more energy!

The key is to slow down. ;)

I have a hard time with pacing, so when I run outside I listen to podcasts instead of music. If I listen to music, I go too fast as I run to the beat.
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Definitely run outside!! I had a really hard time with week 4 and was terrified for week 5.. I did my first week 5 run outside and was amazed at how much I enjoyed it! I ended up doing all of my week 5 runs outside, including the dreaded 20 minute no walk workout three! I ended up running for 25 minutes and didn't even realize! I was too busy enjoying the weather and the new surroundings!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Get outside! I honestly can't stand treadmills. I'll run in the rain, sleet, wind and snow (all at the same time if I have to) before ever stepping on a treadmill.

I get shin splints on a treadmill. Never get them at all outside. Way less repetitive. :)

Either way, good luck! C25K is a huge accomplishment!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 7 and all of my runs have been on the treadmill. I also am thinking of taking my runs outside. I would love to hear about your experience if you do end up running outside.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Go outside! You won't know what you are capable of until you challenge yourself.....you CAN do it!
  • AGoodExample
    Options
    I did my first outdoor run on week 6 and I WISH I would have done it earlier. Outside is so much nicer. Also, I didnt notice a difference with the difficulty level, but that's just me.

Good luck and have fun!

I hate running on the treadmill now =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Running outside is a whole 'nothing experience. It might be a little more physically challenging, but it's easier in many ways, too. I find it more comfortable. I don't seem sweat as much (since I'm creating a breeze) or get as thirsty or as bored. I'm fine on the treadmill if I'm watching something good on tv, but as soon as a commercial break comes on, it's torture. Outside, as long as I got some good music cranking, I'm good to go! I like to think to myself that I'm dancing, not running. Except I probably look better running than I do dancing. :smile:
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I alternate between running outdoors and running on a treadmill. I just finished week 5, day 3 yesterday (yay!) and I ran it on a treadmill. But I ran days 1 & 2 outdoors. My brain much prefers to run outside, but my body does not agree! For all the reasons mentioned above (the distractions, the breeze, the challenge) I definitely prefer to run outside, but it is way harder on my knees and shins. My body never hurts after a treadmill run like it does after an outdoor run. I say go outdoors this week; give it a shot, you'll probably love it. And let us know how it goes.
  • Random1634
    Random1634 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find running outside much easier honestly, as long as you keep a pace that doesn't burn you out. Treadmill is only easier because you can only go as fast as you set it to, outside at times it can be hard to gauge exactly how fast you are going, but if you keep it up you can set a course for yourself and figure out what times you are able to get to certain checkpoints in and try ot beat those times. I'd recommend some sort of running app if you have a smart phone it can help you keep pace and track your distance. I love running at state parks because the trails are usually labeled with mile markers to help me see how far I've gone, and once you get so far in it gives you no choice you have to hoof it back out can't give up on it ;)
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    OK... based on your recommendations, I decided to jog outside -- and it rocked! Now *that's* the running that I remember from 20 years ago!

I have to admit, I cheated a little -- I took my normal 2-mile circuit around campus that I normally walk, and wouldn't ya just know it? Just as my 5 minute warm-up walk was done, I look up -- and there's the one hill on my circuit! So, I jogged three minutes of it, then walked one, and jogged the last minute. The rest of my jogs were flat, so no problems getting them in! I found that my pace was a bit off my usual 5.5mph, but that's ok -- it was pretty close! In 33 minutes, I went 2.37 miles: there's room to improve, but that was a really positive first experience jogging outside!!!

I'm tempted to do W5D1 again on Tuesday, just to make sure I get it all in before trying W5D2, but I'm psyched to give it another go!

Thanks, everybody!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    That's great! Glad you had so much fun with it today!:flowerforyou:
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed it!
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I've been really struggling with running outside, so it's great to hear that you can power through! I tried my 20-minute run outside on Friday, but the hills killed me.