Medications and hunger

Options
I take Xanax daily and although not listed as a side effect I SWEAR a half hour after I put this pill in my mouth I'm STARVING! Anyone else have issues with medication causing hunger?

Replies

• powerstrokediesel
    Options
    thats weird ive been on xanax xr for 5 years and started at 4 mg ad ay and now have tapered off to 1mg and i have never had a side effect . crazy
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    with my epilespy meds. im on one now that was a lot less harmful for when i had my son, but I was on depakote and it made me hungry and gained about 10 pounds being on it.
  • Disneygal11
    Options
    thats weird ive been on xanax xr for 5 years and started at 4 mg ad ay and now have tapered off to 1mg and i have never had a side effect . crazy

I has to be me. I have never talked to anyone who has this side effect. Thanks for your reply. :smile:
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    A close friend of mine is on Xanax and it causes her to feel hungry, have major munchie attacks and she finds it hard to control her eating. She asked her doctor about it and he said that is a major side affect of the medication for many people. You might want to talk with your Doctor and see if there is another medication he can prescribe that would help you but not have the same side affects that you are experiencing.
  • trixierk
    trixierk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's interesting and good to know. I'm currently going through a divorce so I'm taking a few drugs to keep me sane. :-) I was thinking it was the Lexapro that was making me gain weight but I also take xanax so this could be what's happening. For me though, it's more of a bloating issue than an increase in appetite. I only consume 1500 calories per day, I eat healthy and I burn 600 cals per day excersizing and I'm still gaining weight at a very rapid rate. It's not making sense to me.
  • Disneygal11
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm... so maybe it's not just me??? :huh:
  • powerstrokediesel
    Options
    LEXAPRO IS HORRIBLE FOR GAINING WEIGHT!!!!! ASK YOUR DR ABOUT CELEXA!!!!! I SWEAR YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT ON IT. ONCE I WENT OFF IT EARLIER LAST YEAR I GAINED 30 POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!