Exercising when sick

Options
Okay, MFP-land community. What is your thoughts on exercising when you are sick? I have an infection that is making me feel run down with antibiotic induced spurts of feeling better. Today I over-indulged and went over (way over) my calories, I felt like all I wanted to do was eat. I was hungry all day! Frustrating. But that aside, your thoughts folks on exercising tomorrow? I'd like to...People, what say you?!

Replies

• NickiHenry
    Options
    I think you should work out! I am in the same boat! I have a bladder infection and have my period! but I am going to make myself go tomorrow! After wards you will feel better and glad that you went!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Uhm ... don't work out if you're sick.

You'll prolong your sickness and probably hurt yourself.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would not work out if sick.
    You body needs all it's energy to heal itself from the infection, especially if it is serious enough that you are antibiotics. I would stay home, get rest, and watch the calories.

A period is something different, you should work through that and will feel better afterwards ( at least my wife says she does).
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'd rest .
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can work out, go for it! Just take it easy and don't push yourself to the point you make it worse.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I'd rest as well and listen to my body. If it is hungry - it's hungry - I'd just make healthier choices.
  • Rhiani
    Rhiani Posts: 9
    Options
    I would do a "light" version of your normal exercise - shorter time and/or lower intensity. When I'm not feeling well I always force myself to do something physical during my normal workout times. Basically I think of it as a place holder; I'm not really getting much physical benefit from it but too many rest days in a row, even when sick, make it far too easy to break my good habits
  • aagaag
    aagaag Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Exercising while having a fever is exceedingly dangerous. I VERY STRONGLY advise against it. Let me point out that I am a medical doctor (though not a cardiologist, but a neurologist). see: http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/suddendeath/suddendeath.html
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too....I've been sick for 11 days now. I worked out on Thursday, but then didn't work out on Friday or Saturday. I just worked out tonight and it wasn't easy. I have so much sinus pressure that every time I had to get down on the floor I felt like my head might explode. I will work out again tomorrow, but I think I'm just going to do a few hip hop ab videos since you're pretty much always standing in his workouts. I understand about wanting to eat a lot too. At the beginning of me being sick I was ravenous...not so much now....can barely taste anything now. Just take it easy if you do work out. Hope you feel better!

P.S. If you have a fever, do not work out....I can't imagine how anyone with a fever COULD work out...I feel like I'm dying when I have a fever.
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes. The hunger took me by total surprise. My 1500 calorie allotment usually keeps me satisfied without going over and even having extra on exercise nights. But the last two days, I've been struggling to not go nuts. But despite water consumption and making good choices, I still feel HUNGRY! Wondering if it's the antibiotics or if it's just my body asking for fuel to help heal? Makes no sense to me. I'm less hungry on days I aggressively exercise. Weird.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Try some hot tea...it helps calm my cravings.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I depends entirely on what you're sick with. And you should also just listen to your body on whether or not working out might be beneficial or detrimental. The general rule for the common cold is that if it's in your head, you're okay to work out. If it's in your chest at all, don't work out.

But you have something that is needing additional antibiotics, so it goes beyond just a common cold, so you should either call an advice nurse and find out if it's safe for you, or use your best judgement on how your body feels. I'm sure there are plenty of illnesses that it's totally okay to work out while having, but likely plenty more that you shouldn't, no advice from anyone here will really help you out because of that.