a different kind of excercise...

Options
I am fortunate that at the hospital that I work at they are very fitness friendly (we even have our own state of the art gym for the employees). ANyhow, I am to poor to pay 18 bucks a month to go to the fancy gym so I find other ways to get my heart going. One of the buildings has what we call he towers. It is 12 floors high to the roof, so today as I plopped my ipod on during break and put my walking shoes on... I headed to the tower, and up 12 floors i hiked. What a great way to get some excellent excercise. I was so proud that I made it all the way to the top without stopping or dyeing! I just wanted to share some other ways to burn calories with out hopping on a machine! Good luck everyone!
~J

Replies

• tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Excellent idea. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Darrickb
    Darrickb Posts: 27
    Options
    good job! Our hospital only has 4 floors. I can do that on my breaks. great idea and cost effective too.
  • Jouquetta
    Jouquetta Posts: 20
    Options
    My hospital is only 1 floor! BUT like yours it is fitness friendly, even go so far as to offer PTO incentives if you commute to work by means other than a motorized vehicle. (Our Administrator rides his skateboard!) Anyhow, we can use the Phys. Therapy gym after hrs, but during the day the nurses will go into the Pyxis room or dictation room and do 5 mins of pilates, like the plank X1 minute. It doesn't get your heart rate up so much, but the strength training is just as important. We also update the charge nurse by walking rounds... it's a whole lotta fun. And lastly... squats! SQUATS all the time, everywhere. Makes me laugh just thinking about it!
  • crazymgpilot
    crazymgpilot Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This will sound a little comical, but I remember reading that JARED the Subway guy, lost most of his weight doing the same thing, walking stairs in high rise buildings, until he could walk up and down the Empire state building....that's a couple floors right!
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ....hmmmm...now there's a thought! Don't work in a hospital, but do work in a building with 28 floors. I think I might just try this!
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This will sound a little comical, but I remember reading that JARED the Subway guy, lost most of his weight doing the same thing, walking stairs in high rise buildings, until he could walk up and down the Empire state building....that's a couple floors right!

Well maybe I can shoot for that goal! The empire state buiding, I have climbed into the statue of liberty's crown, but rode the elevator up the empire ste building and the sears tower!
  • idivadi
    idivadi Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Neat idea --stairs kill me so I can and will add my hospital( all two floors) stairs to my plan. I have walked laps around my unit at nite. 26laps aound my floor equal a km. Circles can be boring but if you work with like minded people it can also be fun. We do not have a gym or access to the physio room==and squats we can do anywhere lol