Strength training

Options
I'm not a great fan of cardio workouts, and was wondering what the best strength training would be for working out your core? I'm alright with lower body and upper body, but I'm really struggling with core workouts.

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Try 6 week 6 pack by Jillian Micheals. You'll hate her but I hear it's pretty effective.
  • Deevs
    Deevs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try the Ryan Giggs workout DVD (sorry - not sure if you're UK based?)
    Yoga is also excellent for core strength and stability.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Push ups, pull ups, planks and crunches.

Planks are especially great but are a little hardcore. Crunches are great otherwise.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell exercises (swings, windmills, etc) are a great core workout
  • Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    I really can't stand Jillian Michaels, so I'm afraid I'll have to give that one a miss, I am UK based, so yeah, I do know who Ryan Giggs is, and have looked at getting his DVD, anyone who can keep going in the premiership as long as he has must be doing something right.

Crunches and Push ups are about the only thing I do currently to work my core, as far as I know. Just looking for a few other things to switch it up a bit and keep my body guessing. Kettlebell is about the only weight I don't own, how effective are work outs with those? I have thought about buying one, but doubted them for some reason.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well as you mentioned that you own plenty of weights, it sounds like you're at least at intermediate fitness or higher, in which case I say again that you should try doing planks. It's a fantastic exercise for building up core strength.

http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm

If you can do it for more than a couple of minutes or so then you can increase difficulty by doing alternating shoulder taps.... but most people struggle for a minute so don't worry about that unless you find it too easy otherwise.