How to stay motivated to use a home gym?

Options
Over Christmas I started to set up a small home gym with a few bits of basic equipment. I started with some free weights and a pull up bar, and recently added some cardio in the form of an exercise bike, so I've now got a decent little setup in my spare room.

Although I've saved £30 a month by quitting my gym membership, and avoided the hassle of getting in the car to go there several times a week, I'm finding it harder to stay motivated now than when I was paying for a membership.

I think part of what kept me going to the gym was knowing that it was going to cost me £30 whether I used it or not, so I knew if I didn't get my moneys worth then it would be wasted. Now that factor has gone, it's hard.

Another thing is that because I can wander upstairs and work out whenever I want, I find myself constantly saying to myself "I was going to go upstairs and cycle now... but I'm busy ... I can do it later instead", and of course "later" never turns into "now".

And the third factor that isn't helping, is that sitting on an exercise bike in my spare room, staring at a wall for 45 minutes is boring as hell. At least in the gym there are other people in there to provide some distraction.

Has anybody got any tips on how to keep motivated to keep going to a home gym?

Edit: I guess this is in the wrong forum actually - sorry! Should have been in the motivation forum.

Replies

• helthymom6
    Options
    what I do is I set up a tv near my elliptical. the time seems to fly by when you are watching something. or listen to the radio. But you are right staring at a wall for an hour is BORING.
  • royam01
    royam01 Posts: 123
    Options
    A tv helps A LOT. I have a treadmill and a tv in my spare room :) Also I am not really a morning person but I plan on starting to workout in the mornings now so that its out of the way and I don't have to worry about not wanting to do it later.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a tv in my home gym as well....but I have the same problem of always finding other things to do then running out of time hehe
  • amandakay3000
    Options
    I set up a specific time everyday, that way i know the time is coming and i can't put it off. I have the same staring at the wall problem . the only solution to this is to either stick a tv in there, or face a window. I live on a busy street, so this can be quite entertaining sometimes!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Add some cut out people on the wall??? LOL.

For me, dedicating an exact time for working out at home is important. Doing it before work, works best for me. If I wait until I return home, I'll find a hundred other things to do instead.

Add some ambiance. I have a TV, music system and a book reader on my elliptical.

But I have a gym membership too so I switch it up. I went without a gym membership for a few years but I like the option on being able to go during lunch time.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Move your gear to the living room! It won't get you in Ideal Home magazine, but having it sitting staring at you (and being able to watch the TV at the same time) makes a huge difference. At my old place, I had an attic gym but never went up there. Now I have a small flat, I keep the exercise bike in a corner next to the sofa pointing at the TV and my weights and exercise mat tucked into another corner, ready to grab for a workout DVD or impromptu lifting session.

Oh yes, get a workout DVD - you can get spinning ones for the bike and all sorts of guy-friendly free weights one. If you have a computer in the living room, you can get free ones from the Men's Health website or YouTube.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys this is good advice. Think my girlfriend wouldn't be best pleased if I brought the exercise bike into the living room! I have got a small TV in the spare room but no aerial though, so I think I'll try putting a DVD on instead, that might help.

Setting a sold time to work out every day is an interesting idea. I guess I'll give that a go and aim for as soon as I get in from work before dinner.

Thanks guys.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, get a workout DVD - you can get spinning ones for the bike and all sorts of guy-friendly free weights one. If you have a computer in the living room, you can get free ones from the Men's Health website or YouTube.

Interesting - I never knew there were workout DVDs for free weights. In fact I didn't even know that there were any aimed at men. I will definitely take a look at this when I get in this evening. Thanks!
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    DVD player is a great idea. I watch all my BBC America Life on Mars shows during my exercise. I think of it as a treat.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi--it is hard to get used to working out at home and finding the right things to keep you motivated. I find my itouch (or iphone or ipad) is pretty handy. I always either listen to music that keeps me motivated. Or I download podcasts on things that interest me (like new music, or cooking and food)...they have zillions of interesting ones for free. If you have netflix too, you can stream some shows or movies on there too but I'm not really a TV watcher in the daytime. I kind of switch back and forth between the 3 of those and it keeps me relatively sane on the elliptical.

Funny about the blank wall. I have nice windows where I can see things happening outside (mostly birds, river and a little animal life) but much of the time I keep my eyes closed. Not sure why, but I like it that way......

Oh, I would stick to exercising in the morning so you don't put it off until later and find you don't have the time. Scheduling it in before the day really starts works for me.

good luck!
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi ya.
    There are sites that sell Virtual jogging and biking dvds.
    Like here:
    http://www.virtualjog.com
    A great way to relieve the boredom.
    Have fun.
    :bigsmile:
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Kudos to anyone who can workout at home and stick with it. Part of all of this for me is the physical representation of my commitment that going to the gym represents. Plus I'd probably wind up saying f it and playing games or something I'd I stayed hone!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    We recently put our new threadmill into the family room so we can watch tv, dvd's, etc. while using it. Before doing this, we had the older treadmill (which I am going to sell) in the unfinished basement. I hated to go down there with nothing to do and the spider webs :frown: so if I missed a day or two or three, it didn't faze me. Now I literally walk past the treadmill numerous times during the day and am happy to say since the end of January I've been using it 5 to 7 days a week now :smile:

Do you have an iPod ? Make a playlist of songs that you like and that would keep you interested and pumped up while exercising and listen to them. I listen to my iPod while using the treadmill when I don't feel like watching tv and it keeps me going.

I have come to realize this - I don't care if you can write your name on my furniture in the dust or if the house is a mess and not immaculate......I am using the time in my day to journal my food, exercise and change ME !

Good Luck to you !
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I work out at home with bodyrock.tv Workouts are posted daily and a 20 minute routine could leave you on the floor. They are fun, intense, and most of all the variety keeps me motivated. Also, I would suggest doing some high intensity interval training on the bike. Do like 30 seconds at your max speed then do 10 seconds at a moderate pace. Do however many rounds you can stand. It breaks up the workout into smaller increments of time and it keeps your mind off of the singular block of never-ending minutes.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I have a huge bay window in the gym, and there are two really hot girls that live right across the road. I like to pretend they aren't laughing at me.

A good plus about a home gym, you can do some quick curls and over head presses for a good pump before you go out with your lady.

And you can work out naked.
  • daniellevietti
    daniellevietti Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was actually just about to search for a thread like this. Going through the same thing myself. Have the equipment but want to make sure I'm motivted enough before I quit my gym...