obsessive...

Options
I am getting alot of grief from people around me that I have become obsessive about wieght loss and getting healthy. Just becuase I keep a food diary and I am aware of what I have had to eat and how much more I can have does not mean I am obsessive!

Would they rather I continued to not be aware and gain weight?? Or maybe it makes them think about the fact they are overweight and unhealthy??

And if I am obsessive it's none of their business!

Replies

• therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between you being diligent and true obsessiveness. Unless they think you truly have a metal problem (i.e. you couldn't stop with the diary if you wanted to), then yes, it is none of their busines.. Just tell them you stopped tracking due to their "advice "and maybe they will leave you alone. Maybe they will even feel bad for making you stop. But you aren't really going to stop, of course! :)
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    Um, I had someone say the same thing to me recently. I was really mad. If it is working for me then leave me alone. Its not like I am pushing others to do what I am doing. Really annoying. Maybe they are just jealous ;)
  • marilynn66
    Options
    In my years of trying to control my weight I have learned that you must be a bit obsessive to have success. keeping a food diary is the best way to succeed. Keep up the good work.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    That is about the same as when someone tells you you don't need to lose any weight and you look great but all the while know they are watching what they eat and exercising and they don't really need to lose a whole lot EITHER. That really annoys the crap out of me. Be supportive, if it's unhealthy, THEN say something. I'm sorry but someone telling me I don't need to isn't motivating at all. Just makes me want to punch them in the throat.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    They're just jealous that they're not devoted to being healthy like you are.
  • kirstyfoy
    kirstyfoy Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessive and proud! My boyfriend gets really annoyed about my calorie counting, but its important to be successful! I went on a hen weekend this weekend, and allowed myself to eat whatever I wanted for 3 whole days. However, when recording it today I wasn't that much over my calorie limits. Why? Because I now watch what I put on my plate or in my mouth.

I'm glad I know what the best choices to make are when I go out - but can still go out for dinner! I'm glad I am still losing weight! It is ok to be obsessive as long as you aren't stopping yourself from doing anything.

Kirsty x x x:happy:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think everyones different. I don't think I am obsessive. I track what I eat, excercise. I don't advertise it to anyone or talk about it with friends or family unless they ask first.
  • stucker1516
    stucker1516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is obsessive at all! I think it makes us aware and helps us make better choices. I look forward to entering my information and seeing where I stand. And the person who said it may be envious of your success and chastising you may make them feel better. Keep it up....I can't wait until I am as close to my goal as you are now. I want to be "obsessive" too!! :smile:
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Becoming aware of bad habits and trying to instill LIFE-long good habits is NOT obsessive......my guess is that the person who said that is envious of your successes.:wink:
    Kaye
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a very personal journey. Some people need to be obsessive about calorie and exercise counting, and some people don't. Personally, I need the accountability that comes with logging my food and workouts. Admittedly, I am a bit obsessive about my MFP logging. That said, I try not to broadcast my MFP habits. Some people just don't want to hear about healthy eating or calorie counting. Maybe it's because they don't want to be aware of how much they are really eating, or perhaps it's a jealously issue, or maybe they feel like people get preachy when it comes to weight loss. Either way, I don't want my journey to upset those around me, so I try to keep it to myself (with the exception of a coworker and my fiance who are both on MFP as well).

For example, if I go to lunch at my parents' or future in-laws' house, I'll eat a little bit of everything and try to load up on the healthiest options. I keep a mental list of what I'm eating and then I'll add it to my diary when I'm the the restroom or after I get home. I try not to draw attention to the choices I'm making, and I definitely don't sit there and log my food into my diary at the table. So if I'm offered more mashed potatoes, I'll say something like "No thank you, I'm full" or "No thank you, I think I'll have some more green beans instead" not "No thank you, those will put me over my calories for the day." No need to make the host feel guilty about the meal they've prepared.

Maybe you should think about what you are doing that is upsetting the people around you. I'd recommend having a conversation with them about why they have a problem with what you're doing. Perhaps they feel as though you're judging them for not making the same choices you are? Or it comes across like you're trying to get attention for your efforts? If you understand why they have an issue, you'll be able to respond to their feelings and continue on your journey more peacefully.
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "Maybe you should think about what you are doing that is upsetting the people around you."

I work as a bartender and believe it or not I don't love to drink. I did back in the day but not anymore. when people ask me to do a shot with them I say (in a laughing joking way"..."Nope, I only have X number of calories left and I need to save them for something else". Then they say I'm obsessive and should eat/drink whatevere. Or, if I am going out to eat I look at the resteraunts nutritional info online and write down what I can have and the calorie info.
  • knothead76
    Options
    In all honesty, if logging calories, and being excited for your own personal choices and decisions is upsetting to people, then that is nothing that any one of us needs to change. But something that the "upset" people need to cope with. Would anyone be upset with an alchoholic that is proud of being 30 days on the wagon? Or a drug addict that is celebrating their 15th day being clean? Losing weight and becoming healthy is a very difficult thing to do, and if you do not voice what you are doing, then people will constantly offer you the "bad things" because they seen the way that you were eating. Plus, voicing it to people will also get more people "on your side". The more support you can get through this process is best.
    I was hesitant to tell my mom that my husband and I were starting this. She is very skeptical and can be quite harsh. I was very surprised when she starts calling me just to ask how the diet is going, am I still using the exercise plans....and now, this morning she asked me "Do you think you can help me with eating right?"
    So, no, I do not think that you should worry about upsetting anyone. If they cannot be proud of you for the steps you are taking in your life, then they are not worth the skin they wear. But, that is only my opinion, take it for what it's worth.