New tattoo

Options
I just got a new tattoo yesterday and am wondering how long I should wait till I can go to the gym again. I googled a bit and found some varying opinions so I thought I'd ask here.
The tattoo is an outline of an elephant, about 3"x4", and is on my right side. Usually when I work out I do classes (zumba, boxing, pilates, cycling), so that's what I'm hoping to get back to. Alternatively I guess I could use an elliptical or walk...or is that even a bad idea for awhile?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    i didnt wait... just put lube on it to keep sweat out.
  • Lisiebird
    Lisiebird Posts: 45
    Options
    With all of my workouts I worked out right away. I just made sure nothing was touching them. If I had gotten one on my foot, I probably would've stayed away for a week or so.
  • dalscruf
    dalscruf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You should be fine as long as your clothing isn't rubbing against it. You could even put stuff on it (I usually use A&D ointment) and cover it with something breathable, just so you don't get sweat or anything on it
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I waited about 3-4 days after each session , but if its just an outline, it may be ok after a day or two. I kept mine wrapped up to stop rubbing
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I've never waited. Just put the A&D ointment on it to keep the sweat out, and wore clothes that didn't rub against them.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Put some A&D ointment on it and cover it with a few gauze squares (keep it covered as little as possible, but this will stop your clothes from rubbing on it). I'd try to keep it to under an hour, but you should be fine!
  • aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Options
    Kind of unrelated... I personally can't stand the smell of A &D ointment so we have always used Aquaphor. Works great and doesn't smell. Sorry. : ) Just wanted to share a tip. : D
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    Ditto the other responses, but also stay out of the hot tub/sauna/pool for a few weeks while it heals.
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    I am a tattoo pro(I have too many to count) LOL do not put any ointment on-wrap(tape) plastic wrap on it when you exercise-just no water exercise ;) good luck with your new tattoo!!
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    I am a tattoo pro(I have too many to count) LOL do not put any ointment on-wrap(tape) plastic wrap on it when you exercise-just no water exercise ;) good luck with your new tattoo!!
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone.
    I think I'm gonna skip tonight cause it's still sore, but I'll just cover it and wear something loose fitting the rest of the week.