Can't lose the futher lbs (13).....to reach goal

Options
Folks

I've being using fitness pal since December however I did lose 9lbs but I can't lose the further 7lb......

My plan -1200 cals per day and I eat so healthy, normally under my calories for the day (due to exercise) yet I can't seem to shed the futher pounds.
My exercise for the week is:
Monday - Cardio class with dumbells for 1 hour, followed by strenght training, (free weights plus sit ups etc) class for 40mins, then swim for 10 lenghts.
Tuesday - 1 hour spinning
Wed -break, but may walk for 70mins
thurs -walk at lunch for 45mins
Friday -break
saturday -spinning for 1hour
sunday -break but may do casual walk

My diet is very healthy and I drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. I am 9st, 13lb but I love to lose the 13lb for my frame of 5'4
I can't get rid of my belly, just sticks out.......I've smallish frame, legs down is slim, and upper body is bigger, arms/back & belly. My boobs are small !
I am going to start weight watchers classes tonight as I can't seem to shift this extra weight. I am getting married in 170 days time (ie september)
Any tips, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Emer

Replies

• lilcrittert
    lilcrittert Posts: 105
    Options
    Back off the "bad" carbs....ie refined flours, sugar, processed food......you will drop the weight.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    try upping your cals..
  • Missjenn98
    Options
    I would up your calories. I need to eat 1400 cals to lose, when I stay around 1200 the weight either doesn't come off at all or it takes forever. When I eat around 1400 (or more when I burn over 500 cals for exercise) then it practically melts off. Play around with your calorie intake, if you eat too little, your body will go into starvation mode and hang on to any extra fat.

Good luck!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hard to help really when we cant see your food diary...what you eat and how often can make a difference.
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Less cardio, more strength training! I am in the same boat as you. I am 5'4 and need to lose 13lbs. I have been on MFP for weeks and weeks and nothing has really come off. I do cardio kickboxing 3 days a week and each time I burn over 500 calories. I recently talked to a trainer and he told me, its the classic case of lean people trying to get leaner. Cardio is great for many health reasons and great if you have a lot of weight to lose but once you get in the healthy range its a bit harder to shed without pregressive strength training! Muscle burns fat...the more you use your muscles, the more fat you will burn. I am going to do strength training 2-3 days a week in addition to my cardio and hopefully it will work! Good luck!
  • bburson
    bburson Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you are doing an awesome job! I don't know what you have been losing every week, but it may back off to 1 lb or even less per week as you get closer to your goals. The hardest part for me is the fluctuations due to water, etc, so progress is unclear at times. After-all, a 3 lb variation can wipe out a 3 week loss streak! It is really hard to stay disciplined through the plateaus, but hang in there. You know you are doing all the right things. Perhaps on the weekend you could find something fun-- like a long hike or sport-- with a pal to mix it up.

I wonder about that starvation mode too, as I am often under my 1200 calories. I Try to exercise so I can be sure to consume that and still meet my net calorie goal. It's hard sometimes. I think you'll have to go over your old reports and see what has worked best over your weightloss period.

Anyway, you are doing superbly. Take pride in what you have accomplished. Your finance obviously loves you as you are, and that's what matters most. Congratulations!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Eat more. There's a reason that MFP won't go below 1200 as a calorie goal. You aren't eating enough for the amount of exercise you are doing. In fact I just started reading something on a website:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/html/TPAdaptation.html

The law of unintended consequences

"Your body is an amazing feedback system aimed at balance and survival. Humans are at the top of the food chain because they are able to adapt to their environment. Every action produces a reaction. Every change in its environment triggers a survival response. It's important to keep that in mind when you plan your fitness program. If you treat your body as an enemy to be conquered, you'll produce unintended results.

For example, if you severely cut off the supply of food to your body, it will defend itself by slowing down its metabolism to survive starvation. The body will shed muscle mass the same way that you would throw cargo from a plane that was low on fuel, and it will reduce its thyroid activity to conserve energy. The body will also actually defend its fat stores. In anorexia, muscle loss can be so profound that fat as a percentage of body weight actually rises. Extreme carbohydrate restriction also causes muscle loss, dehydration, and slower metabolism, which is why even successful Atkins dieters can have a significant rebound in weight after they stop the diet (don't worry – the advice on this site will prevent that from happening).

As another example, if you put your body under stress through overexertion and lack of sleep, it will respond by slowing down, reducing muscle growth, and increasing your appetite for junk food, carbohydrates and fat. If you feed your body excessive amounts of sugar and quickly digested carbohydrates, and it will shut off its ability to burn fat until those sugars are taken out of the bloodstream." (Diet and cardio exercise are stress on the body - both cause muscle loss)

"This website will show you how to work with your body to quickly produce the changes you want. In order to do that, you need to take actions that push your body to adapt – to build strength, burn fat, and increase fitness. You need a training program, not an exercise routine. You need a nutrition plan, not a diet. You need a challenge, not a few good habits you usually try to follow except when you don't."

Unless you are doing some really heavy weight lifting you aren't gaining enough muscle to keep from losing weight. But you do need more calories so your body can handle it.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Less cardio, more strength training! I am in the same boat as you. I am 5'4 and need to lose 13lbs. I have been on MFP for weeks and weeks and nothing has really come off. I do cardio kickboxing 3 days a week and each time I burn over 500 calories. I recently talked to a trainer and he told me, its the classic case of lean people trying to get leaner. Cardio is great for many health reasons and great if you have a lot of weight to lose but once you get in the healthy range its a bit harder to shed without pregressive strength training! Muscle burns fat...the more you use your muscles, the more fat you will burn. I am going to do strength training 2-3 days a week in addition to my cardio and hopefully it will work! Good luck!

Great explanation! Very well said.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Yes. There is a link in my signature called "Relatively Light and trying to get Leaner". Explains the exact same thing. You can only do so much with cardio without having detrimental effects on the body (we can't beat our bodies into submission).
  • etravels
    etravels Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everybody for replying, really helps!

Now I did forget my average daily diet:
    Breakfast -40g porridge with skimmed milk /tea & mandrin orange
    Lunch -soup or wrap/sambo (chicken /lettuce/tomato)
    Dinner- potatoes meat & 2 veg - lean meat (chicken etc) or rice dish or pasta all homemade (weighted & wholemeat pasta or rice)
    I don't eat sugar, can't stand it nor processed food and with lent off chocolate/cakes/sweets/cripsetc...abs nothing passes my lips!!
    as I watching calories, I weight all my food and only eat wholemeal bread, homemade type...
    snacks- rice cakes, apples, pear (dont eat bananas)..
    eat before 6pm every evening and don't drink alchol during the week. May have a glass of wine or 2 at the weekend. Only drink corona beer if out but don't go out that often

Ok thats it, and it seems very healthy but like you all say not enough strengh training...think its boot camp next!!!

Thanks again and really will motivate me know!