What do you look for in plus size workout clothes?

Options
I had a friend notify me yesterday that a biking store that she works with is going to start carrying work out clothes up to 4x and she wanted my take on what plus size girls like in clothes for going out in public in them. She is asking me since I can see it from going from a 2x down to a M but I thought I would ask others what they like and she also thinks this might hinder some of the us plus size girls from going to the gym since people in general like to look good even when sweating.

I myself like capris that aren't too long (knee length or just below) and would like them in multiple colors not just black. I am not a shorts wearer since my inner thighs are one of my problem areas and being on the shorter side a lot of capris just look like high water pants on me.
So what are some things you look for or would like to see in plus size work out clothes?

Replies

• karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am afraid that I don't have any comprehension of the US sizing system, I see people posting 4x and 3x etc and I have no idea what that is.

I do know that when I was much fatter (UK size 18-20) I would have liked things that did not show my 'rolls and bulges so much, dark colours and longer length in tops. if that helps?
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Personaly I don't look at styles so much, I just want something that fits well and is comfortable whilst I'm working out. I'm uk size 24 top and 22 bottoms but I'm also 6 foot tall so It's hard to find workout clothes that aren't too short.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    For shirts, I like a longer shirt that is definitely going to cover my stomach so that it's not going to accidentally show while I'm working out. If it's a tank, I like something with a thick strap that will hide my sports bra straps. If it has a built in bra (some plus size yoga tops do) it has to offer firm support. Something that doesn't hug the body but isn't too flow-y is good as well.

For pants, I like something with a higher waist. I prefer something that snug through the thigh so that there is no chafing. Something that has a tummy panel is always a bonus as well.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd say don't be tempted to go baggy as it leads to chafing and you can't check your form when doing exercises. You need stretch cycling shorts or leggings, and a well-fitted top. Don't rely on built-in support, you need a sports bra too. Go for technical breathable fabric over cotton every time.

Skorts are an absolute godsend!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    longer tops is always my #1 want in plus size clothes, workout or not. i hate feeling like my shirt is popping up every time i move my arms.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm not plus sized, but am heavy. I used to wear the little tanks and shorts in summer and tights and fitted long sleeve tops when I was healthy and fit, but now I am just too self conscious in them.

Now, the long-sleeved tops I wear (it's still in the 40s here and I'm outside, running) are what I'd call 'semi-fitted'--they follow the shape of the body, but don't cling. I wear yoga pants for running as they have more flattering legs. On the odd day that it is over 50, I wear capri length yoga pants, again, because the legs are straight(not skin tight) which is much more flattering.

The HUGE annoyance with running in bottoms not designed for running? NO KEY POCKET! Drives me insane!

I'm not concerned about my upper arms, but most plus sized women I know are horribly self-conscious about their upper arms. I would guess they'd prefer a t-shirt type top for warmer weather so that at least part of their upper arms are covered.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Great input so far. I totally agree on length of tops and probably would have forgotten about it when I went to talk to her. I am just trying to remember more of what I looked for when I was bigger.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I should have added that one of the reasons I like the yoga pants is that they have very wide waist bands, so even thought they are stretchy, they don't cut into you and create bulges above and below them. So the wide waist band makes them more comfrotable and more flattering!
  • crystal22_88
    Options
    I am a plus size currently (and very self conscious about it). I would recommend rich colors that are not going to show sweat soaking through them as much. Capris and long shorts are a good option (elastic waste). The material would be good in a light weight cotton or something similar.... nothing spandex-y or super stretchy. The tops should not be too short... there is nothing worse than not being able to keep your mid section covered when working out. thick strap tanks or cap sleeves and an alternative elbow long sleeve for the upper arm self conscious. This is just my input but I hope it helps!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just want something...anything....I am so tired of going into sports stores and only finding small size workout clothes! Come on people...there's a whole population out there in need of workout clothes!!!

So yay for your friend!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I just want something...anything....I am so tired of going into sports stores and only finding small size workout clothes! Come on people...there's a whole population out there in need of workout clothes!!!

So yay for your friend!

Moving Comfort carries very good quality, reasonably priced workout wear up to a 2X. Their sizes tend to run large. I have several of their pieces in smaller sizes(from when I was fitter) and have occasionally bought things in the extended sizes for my mom and they consistently run almost a size large, so I think most folks who are up to a 3X could use this line. The quality is excellent--I have Moving Comfort pieces that I have used for years and years and they do hold up!

Here's a link to their extended size tops: http://www.movingcomfort.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=344797

And bottoms: http://www.movingcomfort.com/dyn_prodlist.php?k=344796
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Something other than black!
    Also, muscle-cut shirts (sleeveless) are fine, with a bit of extra room in the neck.
    Pants? I prefer long pants that are cut close but not tight. Mesh works well underneath shirts and as part of pants.
  • ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see some draw strings in workout pants that actually do something! I have two sizes of workout pants the smaller size feels a bit small when I first put them on and the bigger size will literally fall off when I jog on the treadmill! I also agree with the longer shirts. Nothing worse than a shirt that is too short, except maybe pants that fall down. And if you have both.....you can count me out! No one wants to see that :wink:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Agreed about the thighs rubbing together comment. Needs to come down to at least just above the knee. NO SPANDEX anything. Need sleeves. My upper arms are way flabby and make me embarrassed. Colors--love colors.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I want 3 quarter length sleeves, yoga style pants and I hate those flowery wild prints they seem to want to stick overweight people in. Just flattering colors that won't make me look like a big tomato. And reasonable prices. I don't want to spend 100 dollars on one outfit I don't plan in being able to wear for long because I am shrinking. Oh, and longer, but not real long shirts.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants that don't shrink up would be nice. I had a heck of a time finding some long enough and once I did I bought 4 pair! Gotta be long enough but I also like them to sit above my waist.

Another issue is a tank with built in bra that is A: actually large enough for my cup size (DD) and B: long enough as they ride up as I work out & I'm not into my stomach hanging out!

I have also yet to find a sports bra tank that is high enough on the chest to keep my "girls" in check when I bend over. I just want everything covered and comfortable- why is that so freakin hard to find?

As far as colors, I prefer plain grays, white or black for tanks and bottoms and the color in my sneaks and jackets.
  • Trotty2004
    Trotty2004 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'd love breathable pants with enough elastic in the waste to stay up! I run and have "thunder thighs" but no badunkadunk to hold my pants up. That and a running bra that tames the girls better! While my husband finds my 38DD's bobbing all over the place amusing, I find it very annoying. I've resorted to wearing two sports bra's at a time.

I'd also like to say Horray for your friend for recognizing the need for plus size workout clothes!
  • Atlantique
    Options
    I want 3 quarter length sleeves, yoga style pants and I hate those flowery wild prints they seem to want to stick overweight people in. Just flattering colors that won't make me look like a big tomato. And reasonable prices. I don't want to spend 100 dollars on one outfit I don't plan in being able to wear for long because I am shrinking. Oh, and longer, but not real long shirts.

Maybe a customer loyalty program would help there? So as you needed new sizes, you could get a discount on the next size you need as you go down? Just thinking out loud here, so sorry if it's a silly idea. :embarassed:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Definitely shirts that are longer. For some reason so many plus size clothing makers think that fat people are all short and wide so shirts are too short. and also pants that aren't too long.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Definitely shirts that are longer. For some reason so many plus size clothing makers think that fat people are all short and wide so shirts are too short. and also pants that aren't too long.
    Yes to pants that aren't too long! In most plus size stores that I shop in it is impossible to find short jeans or dress pants. The people that work there say that the jeans are so long because they are meant to be worn with heels or boots. Okay...but that doesn't explain the workout pants that are 6 inches too long! I'm 5'4", and I can't imagine that all of the clientele at these stores are 5'10"+. I'm not wearing heels with my yoga pants, so what's the excuse now!?