This is the deal ladies (and gentlemen)!

missybda
missybda Posts: 15
edited September 25 in Motivation and Support
First off let me say I have read some posts that made me feel so much empathy, I feel inspired to post. Many women and men have tried this website in the past and "fell off the wagon" in their own words. They now have rejoined and are trying it again. They feel like they failed this in the past and might be on the same journey with the same outcome FAILURE!! You are to commended for coming back because sooo many people, once messing up, give up!!

Here is the thing, I am 42 years old and in my 20's and 30's never even had to worry about losing weight, but now in my 40's life is jacked up. I attended my son's wedding in August and when I think of the dress size alone I wore it gives me the heebie jeebies. I had already done the South Beach diet, Low Carb diet, starvation lol, Did I lose weight? Absolutely! Did it stay off? Uh no! Up, down, up, down is the way my weight has gone. I was and am determined with this sight to stick with it BUTTTT.......

If I waiver or make a bad choice for the moment, SO WHAT! I get up dust my self off and there I go again. It is not failing ladies, it is making a bad choice and moving on. This site will help you to make a healthy lifestyle change, not have some miraculous number on the scale. The slower and more deliberate the weight comes off, the easier it is to keep it off. Those other diets, and you know which ones I am talking about, they really work (FOR ABOUT FIVE MINS). This way works for life despite our wobbles and mess ups, it aligns us again for the next meal or the next day.

Be active! How can that happen if you are a mom or at work all the time? If your at work take the stairs or as kooky as it sounds get a buddy and take half your lunch to eat and half to throw on your tennis shoes and walk around the parking lot. If your a mom, sit ups and crunches with babies on your belly ( I have 4, though they are a bit older now so if they sat on me now I would need surgery lol). You have a hallway, do front knee squats all the way down and back 3 or 4 times a day. The day does not always afford us time to go to the gym, or outside for a run or walk, so use YOUR situation to YOUR advantage.

PLEASE! Keep it up ladies you can do it and remember do not think of this as a diet, it is a healthy lifestyle with just better choices!
Do not get discouraged to the point of giving up on yourself. You know your weaknesses so be pro active, do your research on your fave restaurants and find the better choice. As soon as you sit down order that better choice and say no bread basket please, the waitress will think your nuts but so what. My heart goes out to all you ladies and I know if you give it your best you will be okay!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    well said, I also echo many of the same things in my posts on here.
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Thanks for this. It's only my second week on the site, and this weekend I made a lot of bad choices--not working out as much as I should, starving myself for half the day, then loading up on sodium and fat filled calories, etc etc. I felt so hopeless and powerless and I wanted to just give up. This post is exactly what I needed this morning. :)
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    What a wonderful post! Great motivation for all of us. Thanks for sharing.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Good post.

It makes a very important and very overlooked point.

*Losing weight is easy - it is keeping it off that is hard*

All kinds of nonsense will work to knock off the lbs from your frame in the short term: lemonade diets, cabbage diets, starvation diets blah, blah, blah.

If you want a quick motivational boost then by all means use an extreme diet to get you on your way. However, at some point your diet should provide the buidling blocks for how you will eat over the long term and for the rest of your life. That is why the "all things in moderation" works so well for many people in keeping weight regulated for many years. Transistioning from "diet" to maintenance is easier as you have learned portion control, the "cost" of eating certain things on your body and so on.
  • So well said. For me, I totally needed to "hear" this. Like many of us on here, I am my own worst enemy and am so quick to bring myself down over a bad meal or a bad day. Yesterday, for example, was a bad day. I recently made my diary public to my mfp friends and I felt so guilty and ashamed logging it all in after the damage was done....but I logged it. I acknowledged it and I stayed accountable regardless. A lot of people just don't log if the food choices aren't perfect or if they go over in calories. To me they are only lying to themself. Now do I want to feel that same shame again? No way! But I am human and I didn't gain all this weight from having good eating habits and never bingeing. This is a tough road, but what isn't tough in life? It's hard work but so worth it in the end.
This discussion has been closed.