When do you start to see a change?????

Options
Hi i am kinda new to mfp and I have lost about 13 lbs in just over 4 weeks i am eating right at my calories everyday i am working out like a mad man! and i am almost to my 20 lb goal that i set for my first 3 months! I feel great and everything but i am kinda bummed because it doesnt feel or look like I have lost weight! none of my clothes are fitting any different or anything! i was just wondering when will i start to see the change i have been working my *kitten* off for?????!!!!!!???!!!???!!??!!??!

Replies

• jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone.

For me, I can now see some visible changes -- overall I look smaller, my belly doesn't stick out as much, my bra doesn't get stuck in my back fat rolls anymore. My clothes definitely feel looser, and fitting better. Size 22 jeans are fitting comfortably again -- before they were either too tight, or didn't fit at all, depending on the brand.
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    It's different for everybody. I would say I started to feel a change at about 15 pounds, and I (and others) saw a change at about 30 pounds. My starting weight was 220 pounds.

If you're looking for additional ways to "see" the weight loss, some people find that it helps to take all their measurements too - try measuring around your arms, waist, hips, thigh, etc. If you are going to a gym, they can use calipers and measure your body fat percentage too.

At any rate, you're doing a great job so far. Stick with what you're doing... you WILL see it eventually.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person! I'm down 15lbs, 2.5 pant sizes and none of my old clothing fits. I went down 1 pant size at 7lbs, and so on. I lost 15lbs in about 9 weeks. But I only had 20 to lose period so for me 10lbs is a lot of weight. It's going to vary on your body shape, how much you have to lose and so on. I suggest you take measurements as well as weight, and for me the first 2-3 weeks were pure water weight so I didn't see much of a difference either.
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have an expert answer but from my experience and that of my friends and family, the first 10-15lbs are more "feel better pounds". You start to feel a bit more energetic, you are getting into good habits, you sleep better etc. More psychological and physiological benefits. After 15-20lbs that's when you start to "See" the weight loss. Most people can't really tell until your are about 20lbs under what your starting weight was. It used to sadden me but once I got over that mark people really started to comment and see the difference. My clothes also felt the same for my first 20lbs. I think you lose more visceral fat (fat around your internal organs) first before you lose subcutaneous fat (fat under your skin that you 'see').

So don't give up. You didn't get to where you are in a short amount of time so it's going to take a while to get back to where you want to be. It's a process that you have to be patient with and you will see results.
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! It is funny but one day you will look in the mirror and see the shadow of a ab or you will be pulling your jeans up and will realize its time for a belt. lol it is amazing when it sneaks up on you. Have you taken before pics? Do that today if not, because you may not like them today but you will totally appreciate them in a few months when you are trimmed down even more. Good luck~ you can add me if you like we can always use more support :wink:
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I don't have an expert answer but from my experience and that of my friends and family, the first 10-15lbs are more "feel better pounds". You start to feel a bit more energetic, you are getting into good habits, you sleep better etc. More psychological and physiological benefits. After 15-20lbs that's when you start to "See" the weight loss. Most people can't really tell until your are about 20lbs under what your starting weight was. It used to sadden me but once I got over that mark people really started to comment and see the difference. My clothes also felt the same for my first 20lbs. I think you lose more visceral fat (fat around your internal organs) first before you lose subcutaneous fat (fat under your skin that you 'see').

So don't give up. You didn't get to where you are in a short amount of time so it's going to take a while to get back to where you want to be. It's a process that you have to be patient with and you will see results.

Absolutly true!
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It took me quite a while to see/feel a difference as well. Around 15 lbs. I did have someone approach me yesterday that I haven't seen in several months and they asked me if I was on a diet or sick cause they said they could see that I had lost a good amount of weight. This was the first person to 'notice' really that had no idea I have been trying to lose weight. I didn't even really feel my clothes were looser until around the 14-15 lb mark. My friend said they looked looser before that but I couldn't see it at all. So there is my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. My size 16 jeans still fit, I'm not even down a size after 16 pounds. The *only* clue I have is that my engagement ring no longer fits (way too big) fortunately my wedding ring keeps it on my finger.

I just keep telling myself that the scale can't be lying and that eventually I'll notice the difference. :-)
  • tabbethaclouse
    Options
    the only thing i has changed is my wedding ring is loser!