Another HRM question

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
Can more then one person use a HRM. Like if my husband and I want to buy one, can we both use it to track our calories burned or is it really for individual use?

Thanks!

Replies

• bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    are you working out at different times yes if at the same time no
  • vwfrog
    vwfrog Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Check to see if your HRM has a multiple user setting. [kinda like those multi-user bathroom scales, or treadmill programs]
    [or you could both just reset the user data depending on who is using it. The actual HRM part would base your calories burned on your heart rate, but also include your biographical data: weight/age/gender]
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    probably best to get one for each of you.
    You could both use the same one (one at a time of coarse)
    but you would have to redo the settings on the monitor each time you switch between you.

For example
    the Polar FT4 has you set your age,weight, height and sex to determine your target heart rate zones. So each time you gave it to your husband he would have to change the settings.

Timex watches have you manually set your heart rate zones instead of figuring it for you.

Of the two i have used, the Polar is easier.
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mine is only set up for one person. You input your gender, weight and age, so I guess you'd have to clear it each time to set up for another person.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I've yet to find a HRM that keeps seperate profiles on it.

If you can, then that'll work. If you're using something like a Polar FT4 or FT7...then yes, possible, but tedious. A good HRM will require you to enter in your gender, weight, height, etc. If your husband wants to use that watch, he'd have to change all of that information to his particular biographics. When you wanted to use it again, you'd have to change it back.

Otherwise, your caloric burns are going to be off, depending on who is using it.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I figured we would have to reset it each time. We just don't have the money right now to purcahse 2 of them. We might have to just do one and do the reset thing.

Thanks for your help!