HELP ON MY GROCERY LIST...

Options
JesaGrace
JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
I've been out of town for a week and now I have to go to the grocery store.....My list never seems to have enough on it....HELP!!

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    healthygrocerylist.com!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the best thing since sliced bread. Promise!
    You can pick several recipes and it generates a list out of the ingredients for all the recipes
  • iknowicaniknowican
    Options
    bump
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I find the best foods for me are on the outside aisles. Fresh fruit and veggies, milk, eggs, cheese.
    ( you can slice 1/2 apple on your oatmeal and have the other 1/2 with 1 T PB for a snack or 1/2 frozen banana and 1/2c 1% milk with a pkt of Stevia for a delicious shake)
    Don't forget nuts and seeds - good fats!

I just came from grocery shopping, had a nice walk around the store to boot! :) Blessings to you!!!!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast
    Whole Chickens
    Ground Turkey (93% lean or leaner)
    Dried Beans or Canned Beans WITHOUT added sugar or salt
    Fresh and Frozen Fruit
    Fresh and or Frozen Veggies
    Salad Mix (dark greens and or spinach)
    Olive Oil
    Old Fashion Oats
    Steel Cut Oats
    Peanut Butter (without added salt or sugars!)
    Brown Rice, Quinoa, Barley etc
    Greek Yogurt (Plain, Non Fat)
    Skim Milk and or Soy or Almond Milk (look for low fat varieties)
    Canned Tomatoes, Tomato Paste without added sugar or salts etc.
    Whole Wheat Pasta
    Laughing Cow Light cheese
    Low Fat Feta
    Raw Almonds or other good for you raw nuts
    Low Sodium Chicken or Veggie Broth (double check the label! Just because it says low sodium, doesn't make it low sodium).
    Light String Cheese
    Water Packed Tuna
    Salmon
    Whole Grain Bread (Be very careful with this. Don't believe it is Whole Grain/Wheat until you read the ingredient label)

This is off the top of my head of what is in our pantry.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

You can pick several recipes and it generates a list out of the ingredients for all the recipes

OMG thank you sooo much!!! i will now use this it is awesome!!!
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I always start with chicken breasts, fish, and veggie burgers...then I think about the things I want to go with them. I get frozen steam bagged veggies, salads, fresh veggies to go on my salads or that I can steam. I'm not big on fruits but I will get frozen fruits for smoothies. Low cal/fat free/low fat/sugar free yogurts and puddings and jellos. I like to snack so I get low cal/no sodium/low sodium nut and fruit mixes (Walmart has some really great inexpensive healthy mixes that I LOVE!). I also get canned tuna and favorite crackers as a snack. Sensible Portions has some really great snack options too if you like 'chips' but want a healthier option. 100 cal popcorn bags. I grab a few Lean Cuisine type frozen meals to have on hand just in case. Low sodium light canned soups that are under 100 cal per serving. Sara Lee 45 cal. bread or 100 cal thin buns and fat free/low sodium lunch meat. Skim milk and cereals that are around 100 cals per serving like Multigrain Cheerios or Honey Bunches of Oats. I hope this helps you some. I know that I don't like grocery shopping because it's so much easier to grab all frozen microwavable foods when you have a family to feed. G'luck!
  • krystalstardust
    krystalstardust Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    greens (baby greens have lots of nutrients in them)
    all typical veggies (tomato, cucumber, onion, brocolli, peppers, carrots, etc)
    sweet potatoes for sure
    fish, chicken, lean steak
    non fat yogurt like chobani or siggis skyr yogurt
    fruits such as berries, grapefruit, mangos, melon, grapes
    pickles make a great snack
    whole grain oatmeal such as irish steel cut oats
    kashi 7 grain pilaf is also excellent
    and if you like pita or wraps the only one that I will get is josephs flax small pitas. the ones that say low net carbs and have only 45 calories per pita. all other wraps and breads have too many calories and too much sugar. josephs is a great way to get your whole grains through flax seeds and is low in carbs and calories.
    you'll want some good fats too so I suggest extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil (great on stir fries), avacados, and salmon.
    I always keep a couple bars of extra dark chocolate around the kind with the higher cocoa contents.
    red wine if you like it. it is great to use in cooking and doesn't have too many calories. just dont overindulge on it.
    applecider vinegar also known to be good for losing weight.
    and don't forget beans. chickpeas and black beans make a great add in for a salad and hummus goes great on those pitas with some veggies or alfalfa sprouts.

good luck grocery shopping
  • catysthename
    Options

No problem!!!! Someone on here told me about it and it saved my life completely! The ingredients are really cheap too if you know where to shop!
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing almost everytime I go to the store. I also make sure i go to a grocery store with a BIG bulk section--as it makes portion control for the week easier. I'll just copy and paste my list (coffee, fruit and veggies bi-weekly--everything else i only get when it runs out) maybe it will help give you ideas! I cook for friends and buy with/cook with roommates a lot so these #s might be smaller for a single person household.

Coffee, Coffee, Coffee
    Green Chai Tea

Fruits: (change with season)
    3 Grapefruits
    7 Pink Lady Apples
    4 Pears
    4 Oranges
    5-6 lemons for water or recipes
    1 lime
    (Anything that looks good..)

Veggies:
    1 bunch Swiss Chard
    1 Cucumber
    1 Grape Tomatos
    1 Red Onion
    4 Med. Yellow Onion
    1 bunch Green Onion
    15-20 cups Spinach
    1 Brocolli tree
    Carrots
    Asparagus (only if it's thin :))
    3-4 Bell Peppers

Protien:
    7 Chicken Breasts
    1 lb Tofu or Tempeh
    (sometimes) lunch meat

Bread:
    1 loaf of Dave's Killer Bread or Bakery bread
    Flat-out Flatbread
    (sometimes) tortillas fajita size

Canned food:
    black beans
    diced tomatoes
    garbonzo beans
    light coconut milk
    1 jar spaghetti sauce
    (sometimes) black olives

Bulk:
    1 cup cashews
    1 cup walnut pieces
    2-3 cups almonds
    dried cranberries
    1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
    Oatmeal
    Quinoa or Brown Rice
    Kalamata Olives
    (sometimes) Low-Fat Granola
    (sometimes) pop corn kernals

Dairy and "dairy": (I love cheese so I kinda go all out :))
    Mozzarella
    Shaved Parmassean
    Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar Chesse
    Feta Crumbs
    Eggs
    Soy Milk
    Rice Milk

Frozen:
    Edamame
    Berries
    (sometimes) Nurti-grain Eggos :)
    (sometimes) corn

Things always on hand:
    Olive Oil Spray
    Spices for indian, mexican and greek seasoning
    Agave Nectar
    Cinammon Honey
    Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids
    Rice, Apple Cider, Balsamic White and Red Vinegars
    Mustard (dijion, yellow, jalapeno)--so good with carrots
    Nutrional Yeast

I kinda go all out, but the thing is I eat out of the house maybe once a month--so I kinda need variety or I'd pick up my phone and order a pizza :)

BUMP
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    also allrecipes.com now has a menu planning section for "supporting members" although you can look at some of the example menus to get an idea.
    Personally, I try to plan 5 dinners , then get all the fixin's for that
    cereals and oats and eggs for the breakfasts
    and I have been doing the lean cuisine thing for lunch

Good luck
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

No problem!!!! Someone on here told me about it and it saved my life completely! The ingredients are really cheap too if you know where to shop!

Im at work and im looking for a recipe for dinner there is so many and i LOVE how it gives you the calories too ... I still think EVERY RESTAURANT should have calories on there menu make my life easier heheeh :o)
  • catysthename
    Options
    Im at work and im looking for a recipe for dinner there is so many and i LOVE how it gives you the calories too ... I still think EVERY RESTAURANT should have calories on there menu make my life easier heheeh :o)
    [/quote]

I totally agree!!! Hope you found the website helpful!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a dessert / treat that won't kill your cal total, try Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches. They are 140 cals. I eat one when I really want a dessert. The choc mint and the choc choc ones are really good.