New here and new mommy

Options
Hi there,

I am new to this and now sure where to begin? I am a new mommy my daughter is 7 weeks old! I was overweight before I got preggo and now I am even more overweight blah! I have never really had success on anything I have tried so I hope this works out. Any tips for a breastfeeding momma? Thanks!

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Congratssss!!! That's wonderful!! Unfortunately i don't have tips on being a momma. But anything else i can try to help ya with! Feel free to add me! This site is wonderful for support and tips on whatever you need! Good luck on your journey and hope you like it here!
  • Joaninha777
    Options
    Hi Welcome!

My daughter is 3yrs old and only now I am trying to get rid of all the weight....so congrats to you for trying this early!

Only tip I can tell you is to KEEP ON GOING! I wish I had breastfed for a lot longer then i did (3 months) . If I had kept going, worked out and ate healthy I would not be where I am today!
  • MoonGurl1985
    Options
    I know when I breastfed my son I lost massive weight even though I was eating a hoard of extra calories. Just eat healthy and if you can eat all natural or organic as that will help tremendously ! and exercise as much as possible and when you are about to finish nursing your child just remember to adjust you calories back to normal for your weight/etc.....as I kept eating the extra calories after I finished nursing my son completely and I blew up like a balloon.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Only tip I can tell you is to KEEP ON GOING! I wish I had breastfed for a long longer then i did (3 months) . If I had kept going, worked out and ate healthy I would not be where I am today!

What she said! I quit early with my first ( 2 months) but kept going for a whole year with my 2nd. It gets really hard, then much, much easier. And it really does help burn extra calories. MFP is a great tool to make sure you are not only keeping your calories in check, but also eating the right foods to keep your baby growing strong.

Congrats on your baby! Enjoy it, because it goes WAY to fast!
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am a 1st time mum to a 6m old daughter and only breasfed for 6weeks as she was sooooo hungry. So I have been lucky as I can gym a lot to lose the baby weight.

I go walking A LOT with her in her pram or put her in her sling. I also do all of our grocery shopping and put it in a rucksack on my back while I am carrying her. Also doing things like aeorbics/pilates at home is fairly easy to incorporate into your day and your baba will love seeing you laying on the floor doing exercises and jumping around all over the place, my little girl loves it but now tries to climb on me! LOL

Breastfeeding will burn a hell of a lot of calories though so be patient and in a few weeks you will start to notice a difference.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your little one!

More than anything, I wish I'd had a sling when my daughter was born. If you get a good one (or have one made for you, depending on your size and comfort level), you can walk, use light hand weights, do lunges and squats, eat right, do dishes... well, you get the idea. My daughter didn't usually like the bouncy seats and strollers when she was super little, and by the time she was napping I was too exhausted to exercise.

Also, having a good sling will make all the difference in the world when you're nursing. Sometimes mothers stop because it's just too inconvenient to find a quiet, discreet place to nurse - I managed to nurse my 5 month old in the grocery store (among other places) and no one was the wiser.

Best of luck!
  • taracotta
    Options
    Congrats on being a new mama!! I also have a new little one... she's 3 months and also a 3 year old. And I know what you mean about wanting to loose those preggo pounds. I know recording what we eat is a great way to keep on top of what we are really putting in our bodies... those extra 500 calories can make it easy to think we can eat whatever we want :). Having said that, make sure that you are eating enough during this weight lose journey to keep your milk supply up. But I know keeping up with the breastfeeding will help during the weight lose. With my son, i just forgot to adjust my caloric intake once I stopped BF and then gained a good amount of weight back.
    I just signed up for this new program a day or so ago, and someone said that I could find in the food database 'Breastfeeding - exclusively', this will give you -500 calories on your Daily log for those extra calories you need.
    Best of luck to you! We can do it :)