Hard to eat the morning!

Options
I've been trying to stick strictly to a 1200 calorie diet and keep myself under 100 grams of carbs a day. I am not having too much trouble staying within those limits but I am having a terrible time getting myself to eat in the morning! I have never been a morning person and I don't start to get hunger pangs till around 12:00 in the afternoon, I know eating later in the day will slow down my metabolism but my question is if I'm staying within my calorie goals how much will eating later or skipping breakfast will hinder my weight loss? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Replies

• zenfocus
    zenfocus Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Before I was on a diet I was never naturally hungry before noon. I find that for the first time in my life I get hungry in the morning if I don't eat at least two hours before bed. Or if my dinner is around 200 calories. I don't think everyone is naturally hungry in the mornings just like I used to not be.
  • kerryannk
    kerryannk Posts: 148
    Options
    i drink a protein shake in the morning, i was never one to eat early either, but you've gotta get your metabloism moving! give it a try :)
  • arfdemob5
    arfdemob5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was the same way!!!!! I'd never eat until after 2pm..and then..it was ON! I did the 17 day diet and in this book Dr. Mike says to wake up and drink a cup of hot water with lemon in it. Then eat breakfast...

let me tell you...it wasn't easy for the first few days..but now I wake up with my stomach growling!

Get atleast 30 grams of protein first thing in the morning..this will help you burn fat all day! Making the effort to change your bad habits is definately worth it! By not eating until noon you are not giving your body any fuel and prolonging your progress!

Just try it for about two weeks and suddenly you will be a new person! I promise!
  • mweir56
    mweir56 Posts: 4
    Options
    I think by not eating breakfast it can really slow down your metabolism which will slow down your weight loss. I've heard that drinking a hot/warm glass of water with juice from 1/2 a lemon in it will kick-start your metabolism in the morning. Maybe you could at least do that and see if it helps.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Eating in the morning takes getting used to... once you train your body to expect it, you will start to get hungry in the morning. Try eating something small. My favorite is a piece of whole wheat toast with a slice of low fat cheese. This is what I started with when I was trying to "learn" to eat in the morning and it's still one of my favorites. It takes only a few seconds to make and I can take it with me in the car if I don't have time to eat it before I have to leave for work.
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses this site is so great, it really keeps me motivated you all are awesome! :heart:
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    yeah, i have never been a morning person either, so i never ate breakfast. as it is, i still don't necessarily eat breakfast, but i eat something. i now wake up hungry, and will at least make myself some kind of fruit and yogourt smoothie. now i have progressed to eating oatmeal, or eggs and toast. i think you just need to let your body know that it's ok to eat breakfast, i am sure mine used to think it was against the law to eat soon after waking up! just try your hardest to eat something each morning, even if it's not big, and eventually your body will learn.

also...don't really worry about only eating breakfast food for breakfast. food is food. so maybe if you eat something you like....a tuna wrap, or something, that might help as well.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I was the same way , I never ate breakfast and didnt eat anything until usually 1 or 2 then I would eat alot late in the day. I started just eating yogurt, because it isnt real filling and not too many calories. After doing that for the first 3 months I woke up wanting to eat something so now I eat yogurt, fruit or oatmeal depending on my mood and how hungry I am and it has made a huge difference. It is easier not to eat so much later in the day.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    i never used to eat in the morning... but then i started to. lately i haven't been again and my weightloss has been soooo much slower! breakfast helps!
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person either. I will have a Kashi waffle with a smear of Nutella or a fruit smoothie to kick start my morning. When I make my son oatmeal, I will snag a 1/4 cup or so of it and mix with a little peanut butter and almond milk. It has never gotten easier for me to eat in the morning, but I try. Good luck! :)
  • ssawchenko
    Options
    I was told that a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit is a good way to start. It's also very quick (I am not a morning person, and I need something I can have ready and done in sub 10 mins). I find it's easy to eat even if I'm not hungry as well, but it really does kick your system into gear. Sometimes I toss some protein powder into it for some extra kick. Also, I have been told from my nutritionist that solids are better than liquids if possible for breakfast (I should have inquired as to why... but I didn't).

Try to make it part of your routine and then it becomes easier to eat in the mornings.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I know eating later in the day will slow down my metabolism....
    This is an incorrect assumption that many people make. All that truly matters is calories in minus calories out, and eating late in a day doesn't slow your metabolism. But....*not* eating early in the day can. The reason is that you are essentially fasting for the 12+ or so hours between your dinner and breakfast....that's why it's called "breaking" the "fast." If you are fasting for so much time every 24 hours, it takes more for your body to get going each day. Eating breakfast (even something small) gets you engine revving as early as possible for the whole day, so that your metabolism is as high as it can be for as long as it can be.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I would do a smoothie or make a shake. A glss of milk wouldn't be bad either,but if you can't do food I don't imagine milk would be appealing,either. I was never a breakfast eater either,it would make me so sick! You can re-train your stomach by gradually moving lunch up earlier until it is "breakfast".
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago, the thought of eating breakfast would literally make me nauseous; I had gone so long skipping it. But I know breakfast is the metabolism kickstart to my body's motor. So I made eating breakfast one of my mini goals.

I'm on Day 14.

I started by munching grapes. I could spread them out over the morning, but had to start within a half hour of getting up. The next morning, I added strawberries. Then I added a piece of string cheese. Then yogurt. The first morning I added bread, I about threw up... so I added more fruit again.

This morning, day 14, I had three scrambled eggs with cheese, and a piece of toast with peanut butter.

My body just needed a slow, easy reminder, that breakfast is good for it.
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was the same also-now drink a protein shake or when in hurry at least eat a hard boiled egg at least. Always protein in the morning-not carbs. They make me hungry all day if I eat them for breakfast! I do feel better and have more energy now that I eat breakfast.