Weighing your food....

Options
I just got my new food scale delivered. Now my question is, when you are measuring out for example 6 ounces of chicken. Do you weigh the chicken (and other foods) before or after it's cooked? It may sound silly, but I am new to this :blushing:

Replies

• cookingcriolla
    Options
    I always weigh mine after it's cooked. If you do this just make sure when you log the food you don't log "raw". Good luck to you!
  • susancelli928
    Options
    Well I guess it all depends on what it is you are eating. I do mine usually after its cooked.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Just watch the label and the logging options. There is a BIG weight difference in raw versus cooked. Have fun with your scale....the little devils are addictive!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i do mine raw!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Meat weighed raw. See any restaraunt menu, the 1/4 lb burger refers to weight before cooking.

Rice, Pasta, Oats weigh dry.

Cooking method will change the resultant weight. If you take 1/2 cup of dry pasta and cook it so it's still a bit crunchy it's taken in less water than pasta that is on the verge of falling apart. Different lengths of cooking or soaking will result in more water weight changing up what you're getting the only consistent way to measure like you may like Al Dente pasta, I like mine cooked thoroughly, so weighing dry is the only way for us to "weigh" the same from our box of pasta.

Meat too the more well done it is the more moisture has come out of it
  • ITTYbitty04
    ITTYbitty04 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    some good comments here! I never really though about it, I usually weigh mine after the cooking is done. no matter if its meat or pasta! will have to do it both ways now to see what the difference is!:blushing:
  • kskye82
    kskye82 Posts: 56
    Options
    Awesome replies posted here! Thank you all so much!