Protein Powders....I'm new to them

Options
I have a question about Protein Powders. My husband has a giant jar of the Whey Protein at home and he drinks a protein shake on days that he works out, usually close to a workout either before or after. I was wondering, could I drink protein shakes for breakfast in the mornings even on days that I don't work out, or will that "bulk" me up? I work out 5 days a week and the other 2 days I work and go to school so those are my rest days. I was just wondering what kind of moderation I should drink the shakes in. Thanks!

Replies

• kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of protein powder you are using. Some are extremely high in calories, fat and sugar. I use Natural Factors - 100% Whey Protein (vanilla) I got it at a whole foods store. It has only 80 calories per scoop, 1 g sugar, 2 g fat and 15 g protein. I add it to 1 cup unsweetened almond milk with some berries (in a blender) and it makes a low calorie yummy shake - approx 135 cals!
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that anything high protein and low carb would be great for breakfast. I think the protein shakes just help in building muscle if you are doing weight training. It won't do it automatically or else those guys wouldn't be working so hard :o)
  • mandyshell
    Options
    Oh, that sounds really good! I doubt what he's got is that healthy, lol, we got it at WalMart. I'm not sure how many kinds they carry. I'll have to look at it when I get home.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    If you're looking for a meal replacement when you don't have time to cook/sit and eat: shakes are great! But I wouldn't use just protein. I used to make a shake every morning with 1 scoop of whey, two handfuls of blue berries, flax oil, 1/4 a banana, and whatever I felt like that day either juice or water. Just keep track and watch portions like everything else. Know, also, that your appetite will come back quicker than if you ate a full meal.

Thats my experience
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Ours is from WalMart too - 140 calories 4 carbs, 26 Protein, 2 Fat, 1 Fiber, 50 Sodium - I like to mix mine with milk and ice in a blender.

Something simple - get some granola bars or Fiber One bars, easy to carry in your car, purse, or to keep at work. Have the shake before you leave then one of the bars for a mid morning snack - along with drinking water, this holds me over until lunch.