HRM Calculation of Calories

Options
I recently purchased a Timex Heart Rate Monitor and have been playing with it while running/ doing the elliptical at the gym. The other day I did the elliptical for 40 minutes and the machine said I burned 494 calories yet my HRM said only 285. Is one better to look at than the other? I would assume the HRM but I am worried because I used to only use the calories on the machine in tracking my workouts.

Thanks!

Replies

• jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Neither of them will be entirely accurate because there are too many factors they don't take into consideration, This is going to be true of any product that tries to calculate your calorie burn. You can have to people at the same age and weight but they will burn calories at a different rate depending on a number of factors beyond what you input into the hrm. The best any of them can do is give you a ballpark figure, but as to how big that ballpark is, well that's a whole different question.
  • johncinarch
    Options
    Have you been taking your heart rate consistently during your workouts? I take my heart rate every 5 minutes on my HRM....my HRM usually shows more calories than the machines.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    I've recently brought a polar rs100 and have found the same thing, everybody is telling me to trust the HRM though, and it does seem about right if you think its telling you how your body's reacting to the exercise, the machines dont have all the data that the HRM has.
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the HRM is more accurate because it is based on your actual heart rate instead of an estimate (the higher your heartrate the more you burn). I also use a HRM (Polar FT7) and I had to add my stats when I got it (weight and height) and it takes that into consideration too when calculating cals burned.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    HRM is the only accurate way. I too was counting to high of calories. I was told the machines at most gyms are set for men for some reason. But yes, my HRM shows I only burn about 2/3 what the machine shows. Sorry...but we do want to be accurate or we are only cheating ourselves. :wink:
  • kdewald
    kdewald Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One day in running it was more than the HRM, on the elliptical the machine had the higher number. I haven't had it very long so it might be a bit of user error as well
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a Timex Heart Rate Monitor and have been playing with it while running/ doing the elliptical at the gym. The other day I did the elliptical for 40 minutes and the machine said I burned 494 calories yet my HRM said only 285. Is one better to look at than the other? I would assume the HRM but I am worried because I used to only use the calories on the machine in tracking my workouts.

Thanks!

The elipticle also doesn't know your age, or height ... which are both also factors your HRM takes into consideration when calculating cals burned.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I just started using one too and have the same problem... And although I agree that nothing is going to be 100% accurate, I am going to use the numbers on my heart rate monitor. I always felt the amount of calories the machines said I burned were too high anyway.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    The machine doesnt count in your heart rate just what your might be burning base on speed and intensity. The more fit I seem to get the more off the machine is. My heart rate doesnt get as high and the machine always shows more calories burned.

How high does your heart rate go?
  • h64em
    h64em Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My HRM is always way under what the machine or MFP says, so I go with what the HRM says. Better to be under estimating than over, and I figure the HRM must be closer as it is after all monitoring my heart rate! I think you will find opinions on this will differ a lot.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    My HRM takes a continuous read of my HR for the entire workout. I also input sex, age, weight, RHR and general activity level. it does the HR reading and determines calories based on the HR. I seem to average about 10 cals per minute while treadmill running at 5.0 and 1% incline. I personally think the elliptical is easier, so your results aren't necessarily out of the realm of possibility.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This is semi off topic, but I feel the need to mention it. Someone in a previous post said the higher the heart rate, the more calories burned, and that is not entirely accurate. There is a 'target zone' (I met with a trainer at my gym and got a lot of great information from it) that you should keep your heart rate in the burn the most calories (mine is apprx 145 - 165 bpm, 155 being about the optimum zone for me). He said that he's actually seen this theory play out in practice by two women that come as Work Out Partners and train with him. They both have HRM watches and the one diligently tries to stay in her zone, while the other one just kinda pushes herself as high as she can. He told me that the girl who stays in her target zone, despite not having as may rpms on the machines, or having rated less distance covered always shows as having burned more calories.

As far as the actual question posed, the trainer had mentioned to me that on machines like the elliptical, the cal burn seems to overshoot while on things like stationary bikes, the machine seems to undershoot and he based this off of what his hrm said. He highly recommended using an hrm if I was looking to get the most accurate information and wanted to ensure I was working at my max efficiency. However, due to the fact that my bmi falls into the obese category (which I totally hate admitting), I don't really require that level of accuracy at this particular point.

In short, I'd go with what the HRM says.

-Spayrroe
  • kdewald
    kdewald Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you!!!!
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Your HRM has a lot more information about you than the Machine. I would never trust the machine or a inexpensive heart rate monitor.