Giant taking baby steps in the land of Tiny

Options
I want to applaud all who have come before me and those who will come after me in our battle to get fit!

I live in a country with lots of naturally slim and petite people.

I really hate shopping in most of Asia as I would either have a very limited selection of women's clothings or sometimes end up having to buy men's sizes.

I have clothes ranging from size 10 to size 18. Recently, even the size 18 seems tight and I used to think that size 14 was huge!

Horrors, even when I decided to hit the pool, my tankini almost could not contain my belly fat!

That was the last straw as I am running out of my clothes to wear! Looks like I have to control my food first and perhaps walk off some weight before I can even think about swimming as an option.

Although I can't turn back time, I can at least try to go back to the weight I was for many years before the last sudden weight loss and the even more dramatic rapid weight gain (read my profile)!

My ideal weight would require a weight loss of at least 22.5lbs but I am only going to aim for 13lbs this time.
I decided that I am not going for grand gestures but will take baby steps : average 1 pound a week (as recommended by this website) until I lose the 13lbs.

I don't have a set time limit but I know I will get there in about 4-5months (bound to have 'diet holidays' ;D). It will be a weight that I feel I should be able to maintain, although it will be far from healthy but I reckon knocking 10% off will still be 10% healthier for me and my heart!

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    As someone who lived in Latin America and was constantly called "gordita" (little fat girl) out of affection or even just plain "gorda", I feel your pain. Aside from the names, I hated going shopping there because all the sales girls would try to convince me that the size 8 - biggest size they had - pants really DID fit me, even when all the bulge was coming out the top and there was no way in the world I would actually be seen in public like that. Hang in there! This is a great place to get some support and keep on track. And feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like the extra support. I'm back in the States now, but I can definitely relate to where you're coming from!
  • CuriousSoul
    Options
    Thank you for your post!

Wow, 17lbs lost and if that's your current photo, you are looking great! Even if it is not, I am sure you look better than before anyway!

Yes, I can relate to what you say too! When I was young, I was fat too in fact, I had been fat as far back as I can remember.

There was even one sad incident when I was 12 and in which my mother brought me shopping for clothes and after trying unsuccessfully for some time, she became frustrated and tried to belittle/berate me publicly, in front of the sales staff, hoping to humiliate me into losing weight!

This is my first day here and my fourth day since I started trying to lose my weight.

I really love it here as everybody motivates everybody here and we can learn from each other's experiences.
    If only, the whole world could be like this, then the only war we would be fighting would be the war to get fit or improve ourselves and not envy or hste each other as the enemy is within.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It was actually my motivation photo, but I think I'm about where I was when I took it. I started in May, so it's been slow going, but it's also been a lifestyle change, which is the most important thing to me.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!