What are the best foods to eat before workout?

Options
I like to work out now about 4 to 5 times a week. When I do Cardio, Zumba or Walking I fizzle out. What are the best foods to eat before a workout? I don't like to feel full but need something that gives me energy.

Dawn

Replies

• chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answers to this too!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    me too...
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    me as well.....
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I drink freshly squeezed orange juice,if that helps,its like coffee to me...lol
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I eat somthign with protein and carbs to keep me going. I like 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on whole wheat bread, nature valley granola bars, a slice of ham wrapped around a slice of american cheese. I keep it small so it won't feel heavy in my stomach nad uasually eat it as I'm running out the door so quick and easy is impt to me. If I'm not in a hurry an might have a fruit on teh bottom greek yogurt.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I like to work out now about 4 to 5 times a week. When I do Cardio, Zumba or Walking I fizzle out. What are the best foods to eat before a workout? I don't like to feel full but need something that gives me energy.

Dawn

when are you working out? early morning? after work? late at night?
  • dlynn08
    dlynn08 Posts: 57
    Options
    If I workout in the morning, I always eat a banana first. If it's in the evening, I try not to eat anything an hour before--maybe a small piece of fruit. And I always try to get at least 8oz of water in me before I start---again, if it's later in the day, I try to hold off on the water about an hour beforehand so I don't have to go to the bathroom in the middle of my workout.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a Nature Valley Trail Mix (fruit and nut) bar before a workout. (140 calories)
  • debbieboylan
    Options
    eat something with protein like eggs ,protein bars
  • oksuga
    oksuga Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba as well I usually eat a banana or some kind of fruit and drink at least 16oz of water a 1/2 hr before.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    I do a couple tablespoons of peanut butter or a Luna bar. A half packet of GU Chews is a good choice as well! Remember, you have to fuel the furnace!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I workout early in the morning, and have a small snack 30 minutes before - usually 1/2 a banana cut up and mixed with a 1/4 cup of fat free plain yogurt.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I usually exercize 1 hour after I eat lunch but on days I don't I will eat a banana or a yogurt.
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to keep these Justin's Nut Butter to-go packs in my gym bag--quick protein boost and SO tasty! Kinda spendy at ~$1.00 each.

http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/
  • dinahbeard
    dinahbeard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat a balance bar - A better pre-workout meal or snack should have a balance of carbohydrate, protein and fat. With the addition of protein and fat in a meal, the carbohydrate digests and enters the bloodstream more slowly, lowering the glycemic load of the carbohydrate and stabilizing blood sugar, thus regulating the release of excess insulin. Now, muscles can access and burn stored body fat for energy, sparing glucose for the brain.

How to eat a Balance bar - boost its appetite suppression by cutting your bar into 12 small pieces and nibble on it.

By eating slower, blood sugar levels stabilize, releasing various hormones that send signals to your brain that hunger is being suppressed. It takes only 15 to 20 minutes for that satisfied feeling to reach your brain.

Drink 8-12 ounces of water w/your balance bar.

Hope this helps.
  • allie_00
    allie_00 Posts: 73
    Options
    Carbs are key before a workout. I try to eat a 100-200 cal snack about an hour before I workout. Today it was a slice of Wasa bread, .5 spoonful of peanut butter and a plum. If I don't have time to eat something I usually down a small glass of oj.
  • summergirlnj
    summergirlnj Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am working out mostly after work...about 6 oclock. Haven't eaten dinner yet.. so I need something..
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm training for an IM triathlon and went to a nutritionist with this, and several related questions. For any workout that's over an hour of cardio, I (5'3", 145 lbs.) need to eat a minimum of 30 grams of carbs ~ 2 hours before starting. Complex carbs...so my favorites are oatmeal (1 packet of Quaker instant brown sugar/high fiber=34g or slow cooked with fresh fruit to = 30g), whole wheat bagel (~40 g.), apple (~17g) + almond butter (~13 g) . Then 8 oz. low fat chocolate milk within a half hour of finishing. Seems to work pretty well. If I've had dinner or breakfast within 2 hours, and it's more than about 45 g. carbs, it seems to be too much and I feel sluggish for that reason. So, for me, I think the 45g. is an important cutoff.
  • epikes1
    epikes1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually workout at around the same time (5-6pm). I find that peanut butter on an english muffin (sometimes I'll add some low sugar/no sugar added preserves) or a protein bar. That will usually get me through my workout. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm training for an IM triathlon and went to a nutritionist with this, and several related questions. For any workout that's over an hour of cardio, I (5'3", 145 lbs.) need to eat a minimum of 30 grams of carbs ~ 2 hours before starting. Complex carbs...so my favorites are oatmeal (1 packet of Quaker instant brown sugar/high fiber=34g or slow cooked with fresh fruit to = 30g), whole wheat bagel (~40 g.), apple (~17g) + almond butter (~13 g) . Then 8 oz. low fat chocolate milk within a half hour of finishing. Seems to work pretty well. If I've had dinner or breakfast within 2 hours, and it's more than about 45 g. carbs, it seems to be too much and I feel sluggish for that reason. So, for me, I think the 45g. is an important cutoff.

this answers it pretty well....