Protein Bars

Options
I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out if I should start eating a protein bar or shake to my routine. My main problem is after I do a workout my calorie need are between 1500-1600. I am having a very hard time meeting that and usually coming in at around 1200-1300 calories a day. I don't want to force myself to eat when I am not hungry, but I am not getting enough calories to "eat back" my exercise calories. Should I add a protein bar, I have heard they can make you gain weight, is that true? I am 5'3" and 145lbs...looking to lose around 15lbs more and tone up.

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You could do that, or you could just eat more, earlier in the day. On days I know I'll exercise I just add a bit at each meal throughout.

Protein bars make you gain weight if you eat them and then don't workout at all (ie you need to burn off the calories you ingest)
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein bar after I work out, usually its power bar performance bars, or pure protein bars....And, I will usually have protein powder with milk at lunch or dinner....
  • chantalicious
    Options
    I eat one every day for breakfast. I like Pure Protien (they sell them at costco) they are comparable to other brands in calories but have way less sugar!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate to not wanting to eat "just because." Just bump up your calories a bit throughout the day and that will help. An additional piece of fruit, fistful of nuts, or serving of healthy carbs will go a long way to doing that.

I often try to schedule meals not too long after a workout...that gets me around that whole "eat after you workout thing." Which quite frankly, I don't think everyone needs to do.: most people aren't exercising at a level/intensity where it is necessary.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE the zone bars. I have tried so many different types of protein bars and these are the ones I go back to. I used to eat the regular ones but they have over 200 calories. Now I switch to the Zone Perfect bars that have 180 calories. They have TONS of protein as well as lots of nutrients.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is going to make you gain weight is eating more calories than you should. If you're diet and exercise are great, a protein bar is not going to suddenly make you gain weight. My favorite are Pure Protein bars and you can get them at Wallmart. 200 cals, 6g fat, 16 carbs, 2 sugars, and 20g protein. They're the best that I have found so far.

You could also do a protein shake to supplement the calories and get extra protein in your diet.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Add a calorie dense snack of a healthy fat. Ounce of walnuts/almonds, extra virgin olive oil, etc..
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Post workout you will be fine, read the label, many protein bars are just as bad as a candy bar when you eat them at the wrong time. Many of them have a lot of sugar, and (for a protein bar) a lot of carbs also.
  • ivy2009
    ivy2009 Posts: 75
    Options
    I am a long distance runner. From my reading, if you do a reasonably long and/or hard work out, eating something within 30 to 45 minutes after you are done exercising is excellent to help your body and muscles recover. Good choices after a long work our are glass of skim milk or almond milk, soup that is NOTloaded with fat, a piece of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a banana (good potassium source after sweating a lot). These kinds of snacks are just as good or better than a bar. But bars can be convenient if you are busy or did not have a chance to plan ahead. So I would consider a bar just one of the tools in your tool belt. Bars vary a lot in the amount of protein and carbs they have and the calories they have. So just check for a bar with the protein/carb ratio you are targeting and be aware of the calories (probably about 200 calories or so is a good target.) Good luck.
  • Tonya79
    Tonya79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much, for something that should be as easy as eating right and working out...this mastering my own body stuff just gets plain old confusing sometimes!!!