Not enough Calories

Options
Hello, I have been on this 1800 calories and 180 grams of carb diet for a week and the problem I am running into is that I am not eating enough Calories or for that matter not even breaking a 100 on the carbs. I started this diet per the Diabetic Educator counselor but I just cannot seems to be able to balance it all out. I am supposed to eat 30 - 45 grams of Carb for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, with maybe 60 grams for lunch or dinner, and 15 - 45 grams for one snack. Any suggestions on what to eat for Calories without adding more fat to my diet?

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bagels

but why such a high carb diet ?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Bagels

+1
  • beccafertig
    beccafertig Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bagels?? Really??
  • gharley
    gharley Posts: 12
    Options
    That what both the Doctor and the Diabetic Counselor put me on. I am thinking the Calories is very high and I have barely made it over a thousand calories. Pyro, I was told to stay away from Bagels because of the High Carbs, so you see I am in a bind here. I am thinking if I could just get to 1200 calories maybe that would get me going. I am also very very overweight, I have been advised to lose 150 pounds so maybe that is why it is a high carb diet...Who knows? Thanks for any suggestions!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    1 medium banana (7 inches to 7¾ inches long): 24 grams effective (net) carbohydrate plus 3 grams fiber and 105 calories.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet is good for diabetics! I would add healthy fats, protein, and and fruits and veggies to meet my calories if i were you
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I'm eating about the same # of carbs, plus 30grams before workouts (IM training, trying to keep glycogen in muscles from getting depleted) and tend to eat a lot of oatmeal, whole wheat bagels, apples with almond or peanut butter, trail mix, quinoa (there is an awesome recipe for pineapple roasted cashew quinoa stir fry online, btw) and brown rice. Those are just my favorites. There are longer lists of good carb foods online, I just picked my favorites... Good luck.
  • bethany7687
    Options
    Thats 810 out of 1800 calories s/b carbs, not really a high carb diet. Print out your diary and bring to counselor. Also 1800 cal seems high if you have that much to lose.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    look to legumes and lentils as your primary carb source if you are having trouble maintaining a good carb intake.
  • gharley
    gharley Posts: 12
    Options
    So where do you find the recipes and the list of good carb?
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Bagels

+1

Didn't mean Bagels but the carbs seem high. To me it seems it would be quite hard to to get them all without a lot of fast carbs that prompt a big insulin response. 100 grams is a nice carb load if your drying to lose fat.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think you might want to ask your dietitian if you need to eat all 180 g of carbs. She might have meant not to go over that on carbs.

I think you could stick with Hummus and carrot, cottage cheese, I get the thomas bagel flats they are a lot less carbs and I make an egg white sandwich with a slice of cheese.

I think if you eat your carb with a protien it slows down the absorbtion of the carbs into the blood stream, you could add peanut butter.

You could have laughing cow cheese,