Need help with my hair!

Options
allison7922
allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
Hey gals,

Ok, so I straighten my hair with a flat iron pretty much every day. I don't have naturally curly hair, it is just SUPER thick and wavy (but not in a pretty way!) I pretty much keep it chin length at an angeled bob but I am tired of that. I want to let it grow out. The problem is, it's so frizzy and just yucky!! Anyone know of any tips or trick or products I can use to tame and make it look nice? Thanks!

Replies

• susancelli928
    Options
    John Freda now sells a product that helps with keeping your hair straight for 3 days. I have the same type of hair and I hate it. Good Luck
  • cookiejones
    cookiejones Posts: 104
    Options
    Have you tried moroccan oil? I love the stuff!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My hair isn't curly but I use Moroccan oil to tame frizz. It is amazing! (http://www.moroccanoil.com/) It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way. I've had the same little bottle (probably 3 oz) for a year and i'm less then 1/4 of the way through it. They have other products especially for curly hair. Hope this helps!
  • ka_42
    Options

haha! Jinx!
  • hunterzmomma
    Options
    hahaha I had the same problem! I just started putting it up in a ponytail while wet, don't do anything to it for like a week or so... it will heal itself, don't straighten it for awhile... of course mine is bleached to hell also!
  • alexj8403
    alexj8403 Posts: 38
    Options
    paul mitchell gloss drops :)
    Also, do you ever try pulling it back for awhile to smooth it out, and then flat ironing what you need to after that? I have crazy curly hair, but those are my tips for smoothing :)
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i use a glaze, smooths out hair if you go to a salon it last about 3 months or john freida has a glaze you can buy that you can do at home either once a week or everyday... it works great
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    How about a Brazilian blowout? My sister has thick wavy hair, usually straightens it every day...since she got the blowout done she doesn't need to use a flatiron at all--smooth and straight! It's spendy, but lasts for a few mos. My hair is crazy curly so I just let it do it's own thang...but your hair sounds like my sister's, so teh blowout might do the trick! Good luck!
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    use a pomade or silicone lotion ( i use chi its by redkin) for shine and to control the frizz, also what kind of shampoo are you using? thats has alot to do also with frizz. Or even try using a leave in conditioner Paul Mitchel has one to help with controling your frizz problem
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My hair is really fine but it tends to have a lot of volume and goes wavy if I don't straighten it and it looks awful :( Advice on that please? I saw a 'moroccan oil' for blonde / fine hair (like mine). How do you use it?
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Use a diffuser to bring out more curl. I have straight hair, but still kinda frizzy, with one patch on the back of my head that likes to wave. *ugh!* To embrace the wave, I scrunch my hair with a towel right out of the shower, put in some mousse and some anti frizz stuff, then blow dry with a diffuser. My hubby actually really likes my hair like that. Just a thought to embrace the waves. :)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Ahh! I don't have the same hair type as you, but mine is super damaged, so the hair care is pretty much the same. I've never tried morrocan oil, but it sounds great! I absolutely love John Freida though, I find anything by them usually works great.

Just wanted to comment on the post about putting your hair up while wet. My hairdresser told me to never ever ever do this. Use a huge clip if you need it off your face, but pony tails are really hard on your hair. They constantly rub down the same spot, and can cause it to go frizzy. And your hair is at it's weakest when wet, so it's like double whammy for damage. Just thought I'd pass that along =)
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    You sound like you have the same hair type as me, I like Ouidad products. I'm gonna try this moroccan oil though. Don't rule out a good dye job though, or even some highlights/lowlights. They make your hair look fuller and healthier and sometimes it's just the change that you need.
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Use a heat serum before you flat iron. Go to a specialty salon and ask their advice.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

haha! Jinx!

I also love the stuff!!!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Don't have your hair texture but I like Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, I get the generic at Sally's (much cheaper) I usually will google products before I try them out to see reviews. :flowerforyou:
  • allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Imthatg1rl
    Imthatg1rl Posts: 109
    Options
    Biosilk silk drops are great as well.
    I also use Paul Mitchell's super skinny shampoo and conditioner
  • ka_42
    Options
    My hair is really fine but it tends to have a lot of volume and goes wavy if I don't straighten it and it looks awful :( Advice on that please? I saw a 'moroccan oil' for blonde / fine hair (like mine). How do you use it?

My hair is really fine and has a weird wave to it. I straighten it daily. It seems to look best if I use a tiny dab of Moroccan oil while it's wet on the ends and also where it's more frizzy for me about an inch from my part where I have tons of "fly aways" if I don't use the Moroccan oil. You can also use a little on your hair after you dry/style to smooth out :smile:
  • curlygirlyful
    Options
    I have exceptionally curly frizzing hair. It's a love hate relationship. I've always had it to shoulder/chin level and it was always frizzy. Until I started growing it out. It took a few years. But when you grow out your hair the curls get heavier and easier to manage. I would definitally recommend getting a deep conditioner and do it 2 to 3 times a week depending on how crazy frizzy your hair is (i do mine 2 to 3). Also get a really good shampoo. I only shampoo my hair 2 times a week. I find that when I shampoo it, my hair gets really dry. Morracan oil works really good and deva products. Best of luck!!