Balsamic glaze, reduction...your favorite recipes!

Options
writtenINthestars
writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
I LOVE balsamic glaze on just about anything and was curious if anyone had any fave recipes of their own to share! I need some new ideas :)

Replies

• Tammysueless
    Options
    I love it too and would like to know as well!!!
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    how do you make your balsamic glaze?? sounds yummy!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I've actually had a horrific time with balsamic glaze...and it comes down to needing a good quality balsamic vinegar. I just put 1/4 cup of vinegar and a tbsp or honey and boil it and cook slowly to make a reduction. If I want it move thin to put with chicken and pasta for example, I'll add some stock until it's at the right consistency.

This is all the 99 Restaurant's fault....they have delicious balsamic glazed chicken and I wanted to make it at home and have more control over my calories. Now I'm an addict :love:
  • julz68
    julz68 Posts: 16
    Options
    bumping
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You had me at GLAZE which reminded me of this recipe which is from Prevention Magazine (where I've gotten most of my best healthy recipes). I cannot tell you how delish this is - it's just so yummy.

It's not a balsamic glaze but the apple, honey soy mixture might win you over for a change. I highly recommend it. I am pasting the nutrition facts below but they include the brocolli and mashed potatoes. For the whole meal it's not too bad and a filling one at that.

Honey- Glazed Pork with Garlic Mashed Potatoes & Roasted Broccoli

• 1/2 C apple juice
    • 2 tbsp honey
    • 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed
    • 1/4 tsp cayenne
    • 4 C broccoli florets
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1 1/2 lb yukon gold potatoes
    • 1/2 C reduced-fat sour cream
    • 1/4 C chopped parsley
    DIRECTIONS
    1. Heat oven to 400°F. Combine apple juice, honey, soy sauce, and half of the garlic in small bowl. Sprinkle pork with cayenne.
    2. Toss broccoli with 1 tablespoon of the oil on baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1.4 teaspoon of the salt.
    3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Add pork and cook, turning once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour juice mixture over pork and transfer to oven along with the pan of broccoli. Bake until pork and broccoli are done, 25 to 30 minutes.
    4. Put potatoes in medium pot while pork and broccoli cook and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
    5. Leave broccoli on baking sheet and transfer pork to cutting board. Return frying pan to high heat and cook juice mixture until a thick glaze forms, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
    6. Drain potatoes and return to pot. Add sour cream, parsley, remaining 1.4 teaspoon salt, and remaining garlic. Mash until smooth.
    7. Slice pork and put on plate. Drizzle with glaze and serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli.

CALORIES 503.3 CAL
    FAT 14.7 G
    SATURATED FAT 4.5 G
    SODIUM 559.9 MG
    CARBOHYDRATES 48.8 G
    TOTAL SUGARS 11.7 G
    DIETARY FIBER 4.5 G
    PROTEIN 43.2 G