New to weight loss

Options
Hi. I'm OLD: 62. I have been diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis, where a vertebra has slipped off the disc and is pressing on the spinal cord.
I have never had to diet before, but all the sitting around, trying not to irritate my spine, has made this a very fat winter.
I started the app on the iPhone last week. It seems really comprehensive. Helpful? We'll see. I'm not very good at depriving
myself, and the app only gives me 1200 calories per day. That's not a lot. In fact, that's very little.
I have always just eaten when I was hungry and stopped when I was full. I maintain a healthy diet: whole grains, fruits and veggies, trying to avoid refined carbohydrates. Except for dark chocolate, which I am really missing on this plan.
I don't have any huge goals, and I'm not technically overweight, but for me, it really does feel fat. I just need to get back to 125 lbs. from the 134 that I reached this winter.
I've been having epidurals for my spine for several years. After the first one, I lost 11 lbs right away, just because I could move again. So my challenge now is to move more. I had to give up skiing, tennis, horseback riding, because of my injury. Walking
helps my back, but it's hard to get out and do it.
I figure it can't hurt to decrease the calorie intake, too. But it's so hard. Getting fixated on food, which one has to do on this plan,
probably doesn't help. The trick must be to NOT feel deprived.
Anyway, I'm giving this the good old college try.
Cheers! xxoo

Replies

• bobball
    bobball Posts: 57
    Options
    You've got the right attitude about not being fixated on food. Although that is hard when you are contantly counting calories. You learn after a while about how much everything is and it does not take as much effort. Not sure how your current condition affects your movement (exercise) but if your doctor says its OK, walking, water aeroibics and stretching can burn some caloires while not putting too much stress on your body. You burn more, you can eat a little more!

Your body gets really efffcient and does not burn many calories as you age, so you have to shock it a bit with some exercise....but check with the doc!
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm almost OLD. I was down with injuries myself for a while. & my Mom (81) has 4 serious spinal conditions so. I understand where you are coming from. I know it's hard and discouraging.

My whole mission has been not to feel deprived. It really hard to stick with it if it's a misery all the time.

For that small amount of weight I'd do lose 1/2 lb per week not 1 lb.

Check back later, I'll give you a few strategies that have worked for me. (I'm on my lunch break & have to get back to work now)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you have MFP set to 1200, you might want to change your weight loss goals to 1 pound or a 1/2 pound per week. It sets more realistic goals that way.

Good luck and welcome!!
  • sbmargo
    sbmargo Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    I do yoga, level II/III twice a week and the entire room of Cybex machines on really heavy weights before the yoga.
    That's the only exercise that I do on a schedule. I like to walk, and I do a lot of around town things (34 years in Real
    Estate), but I can no longer carry any weight, because of the load on the vertebra. This is sort of good, though, because
    all my efficient carrying of groceries and other things has to be done in many trips instead of one.
    I think I'll leave it a 1200 and just not hit that goal everyday. I don't feel discouraged if I go over occasionally.
    I know the key is just to move more.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    First of all...
    WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU GIVE UP DARK CHOCOLATE? (is it a trigger food? Do you binge? If not enjoy a little bit now and again)

I came home and started writing a huge long reply. It really just helped me clarify my own thinking on the subject. Then realize it;s more info than anyone can possibly process in one post I think I've enough material for 8 or 9 blog posts.

Here is the reader's digest condensed version for the first 4 posts.

1) FOOD IS NOT THE ENEMY
    it is here to nourish and nurture us.

2) RELAX
    It's not a bout being perfect it's about doing better.
    If the diet is torturing me, I will never be able to maintain it.

3) SLOW DOWN
    The slower you lose the weight the more likely you are to keep it off.
    It's really about developing new eating habits that you can maintain... Incremental changes over a long period of time.

4) SUGAR
    Both sugar AND artificial sweeteners increase your appetite.
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    Hi and Welcome, glad to have you join all of us here at MFP:flowerforyou: