Stronger, Better, Faster...Oct 9

Hope everywhere is as beautiful as it is here with no allergens!

My throat is a little sore. I think it's from breathing through my mouth while bike riding - that and the ragweed. I haven't decided what I'm going to do today. It might be a combination of biking, walking, and elliptical. It's so nice outside, I feel like I should be biking, but I don't want to make my throat worse.

Yesterday I was inside all day with 2 yoga classes and weights. I didn't do any walking but got most of my chores done. The film crew is coming out today to do the commercial at my neighbors house. It might last past midnight. I hope we are able to get some sleep tonight.

I finished "Intuitive Eating" last night - I think a lot of people could benefit from this book - especially those that have been dieting for a very long time. I think my main issues are: eating beyond the satisfaction point and eating dessert. While they say you will balance out (healthy foods and junk), I'm not so sure. We'll see what happens...

Happy workouts y'all,

Mary

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Hope everywhere is as beautiful as it is here with no allergens!

My throat is a little sore. I think it's from breathing through my mouth while bike riding - that and the ragweed. I haven't decided what I'm going to do today. It might be a combination of biking, walking, and elliptical. It's so nice outside, I feel like I should be biking, but I don't want to make my throat worse.

Yesterday I was inside all day with 2 yoga classes and weights. I didn't do any walking but got most of my chores done. The film crew is coming out today to do the commercial at my neighbors house. It might last past midnight. I hope we are able to get some sleep tonight.

I finished "Intuitive Eating" last night - I think a lot of people could benefit from this book - especially those that have been dieting for a very long time. I think my main issues are: eating beyond the satisfaction point and eating dessert. While they say you will balance out (healthy foods and junk), I'm not so sure. We'll see what happens...

Happy workouts y'all,

Mary
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Thanks! Have a great day too!:smile:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    It is a beautiful day here. I'm not sure what I am going to get done either. I will be shopping for 2 hours this morning and then we have a therapist coming out and Alex may not take a nap, so it might be hard for me to get in Shred today.
    But it seems I might be finally losing some weight! I'm not sure yet. My stomach feels smaller (I have a couple of tires and the lower one feels smaller!). My measurements have not changed. The scale did show 1/2 pound loss which puts me back in the 140's again, but who knows how long it will last. Honestly I prayed about it this morning. I need help because I can't do this on my own. It's not working. I am hoping that either the Lord will help me be satisfied where I am and with who I am, or He will give me the strength, self control and motivation to lose weight. I can't explain why I seem to be losing weight. I don't know what I am doing differently. Maybe it's circuit training that's making the difference for me? Anyway, I'm hopeful.
    Today: shopping, maybe Shred if I can get it in
    drink water
    eat less (may not keep up with calories today)
    I hope you all have a good day and Mary, that you get some sleep tonight!
    MM
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    We're also having a beautiful day.

I have family coming in today. . .so I'm hoping to get a "shred" session in this afternoon before they get here. For the next few days, I'm going to have to be very adaptable with my workouts, as I usually do them around the dinner hour.

Yeah, the whole "junk balancing out" thing is a mystery to me. I think you have to build in a period where you gain ten pounds, which then drops off as you "balance out". I'm not willing to do that, so I'm trying to figure out a balance of eating what I want and . . .um controlling what I want? At least, reminding myself that I feel better physically on better food choices. I have yet to "crave" a vegetable. Although I have wanted fruit (apples are SO good right now) The book makes an infinite amount of sense. . .so maybe my doubt is just my dieter mentality hanging on. Next Monday I'm going to start logging again, just to have a sense of what's going in my body (trying to see if there's a pattern) I think I'm a natural zig-zagger, alternating "hungry days" with not so hungry days. I'm just trying to be very impartial and scientific. We'll just see how long that lasts!. . .:tongue:

Today: continuing no food in front of TV (last night I ate my dinner there. . .oops.)
    waters, vits
    eating when hungry, stopping when satisfied.

"satisfied" is my new favorite word. Not stuffed, not full, not eating to eat, but satisfied. Radical!

Take care of yourselves.:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    I have craved salads before - but usually on vacation through the deep south - kinda like, "my, oh my, could I please buy a vegetable that isn't fried?"

I know what eating without rules is like - I do it on vacation. Remember the vacation week? Dessert everyday? I could eat that way for life - but I did get sick of dessert and eating out (for about 24 hours).

I never thought of foods as wrong or bad (though they are junk). Never felt guilty for eating something - though, heaven knows, I have plenty of guilty feelings (like, I should be a nicer person or I shouldn't leave my cats to go on vacation).

It should be interesting to hear the dietician's take on the dessert eating. It may be something I choose not to do - rather than something I can't do. I am not willing to gain 10 lbs, but I'm willing to gain 2-4 lbs as long as I see a balance coming. I'm also willing to be above my goal weight (though most people would think it was on the heavy side) as long as I can do so without too much work. I don't want to fight my body anymore. If I'm hungry, I'm going to eat. I'm also not going to get an extra workout in because I went over on my calories.

The hard part is - knowing when to stop eating! That was my main goal in my worksheet that I filled out for the dietician.
  • yoginimary
    I have a little something to share. I just measured because I was feeling skinny. I have the smallest waist size I've had since at least 2004. In 2004, I weighed 145 (6 lbs lighter than now) and my waist was 29.5 (chances are that was pulled tight) - today it's 29 (not pulled tight). My bicep & thigh also lost 1/2" since last time I measured - which was June 4th (but my weight has only gone down 1-2 lbs) - yeah! Happy tears!

Oh, fun site, here's what mine said:
    Using your measurements of a 29 inches waist and weight of 151 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 32.19 % using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, or 23.42 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/bfb
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    It's a beautiful day here as well! :flowerforyou:

Last night was a blast talking cars with the boys and frankly just getting out of the house. Today I work both jobs and in between I have a doctors appointments to get the results of my thyroid scanning. I'm hoping everything goes well and the put me on track to balancing out my insides. Other than that I'm busy changing my ebay charity stuff over to breast cancer awareness and finding new ways to help others where I can. When I'm focused on things like that, I could care less what my weight was that morning. :laugh:

I feel good today!
    :heart:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Congratulations on the measurements, Mary! That's awesome. Although the body fat was a bit weird... there's a big difference between 32% and 24% ! I'll have to see what I get when I am at home with a tape measure. Rach, what a great feeling - good for you. :flowerforyou:

I definitely craved a salad on Monday, after having way too much cheese over the weekend (pizza on Friday AND Saturday, and then a way-too-big quesadilla on Sunday :sick: ). Sometimes my body needs roughage! I'm interested in this intuitive eating business - although, what's the difference between intuition and rationality? I think I usually do okay on my own, aside from stress eating, but it is easy to get fooled into eating whatever is on my plate. I was thinking of having a piece of chocolate last night (I got a yummy Lindt dark chocolate bar with ganache-type filling - it tastes just like a truffle, and one square is 50 calories)... but then I realized that I would barely even be able to taste it with my cold. So I skipped it. That was probably more of a rational decision (I'll enjoy it more later) than an intuitive one, though. And how do you tell the difference between intuition and whim?

Didn't workout yesterday. It's nice here, too, so I'll try to go for a walk and then see if I have any energy left when I get home. My cold isn't horrible, but it is sapping me. Oh, and it's pushup day. I seem weaker this week than last week.

Enjoy the nice weather! :flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    They mean intuitive by listening to your body - that's the way I read it. You eventually learn and it becomes intuitive. I would think rational as having to think about it every time.

For extra fun reading (big plate syndrome), try Mindless Eating
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    I guess I'm confused because it seems like it would take a lot of thinking to figure out what my body is saying - "What am I hungry for? Am I hungry for that? How about that? Do I want this bite? How about this bite? Am I still hungry? How about now?" :laugh:

It probably just takes practice. I'll have to check out both books once I am done with my project and have the time to read them.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Mindless Eating is on it's way to my house.:happy:
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    Mary,

"I don't want to fight my body anymore."
    That's exactly how I am feeling!

"They mean intuitive by listening to your body - that's the way I read it." What if your body seems to be craving carbs and sweets all the time? :laugh:

I was out shopping for 3 hours! My son was being a pill and I was irritable. Not the best shopping trip ever but it's done. I am tired today. Really sleepy and just tired. I think I am not going to Shred today, but I will get back to it tomorrow and maybe even do it on Saturday. I feel like I should Shred though. :grumble: I don't want to!
    Oh and my body fat estimation was 35-36%. How gross. That was a little depressing.
  • lotusfromthemud

"They mean intuitive by listening to your body - that's the way I read it." What if your body seems to be craving carbs and sweets all the time? :laugh:

That's what I'm going through. I'm reasoning it through, and it is something the book discusses. I've been restricting carbs heavily. So, now that I'm telling myself nothing is "forbidden". . .I'm going through a phase where they're all I want. Also, the book (and other things I've read) points out that they are the easiest source of fuel for your body to utilize. . .so my exercise/hectic life stuff is maybe making me crave them. Today I had my first salad, so after a week of "bring on the whole grain rolls" I may be already starting to normalize. I have been eating much less food. .. so much less that I'm thinking of starting to log just to see where my calories are at. Either I'm at a deficit, or the foods I'm eating are more calorie dense, so the quantity is considerably less. In the week and a half I've been doing this, I haven't been ravenously hungry once. And, lately I was always hungry.

To that, I just had the greatest workout! I was super-high energy. . .so I'm blaming the muffin I had for lunch.:tongue:
  • yoginimary
    Exercise for stress relief - MM. I want to go for a walk after hearing about the stock market today. We don't own particular stock, but have retirement in mutual funds. I think I will go for a short one - otherwise I might go buy cigarettes! - kidding, sorta
  • lotusfromthemud
    Exercise for stress relief - MM. I want to go for a walk after hearing about the stock market today. We don't own particular stock, but have retirement in mutual funds. I think I will go for a short one - otherwise I might go buy cigarettes! - kidding, sorta

That is so weird that you said that. . .get out of my brain!

Yesterday, for the first time in like. . .five years or more. . .I wanted a cigarette. (and have you seen the Canadian warning labels? No way would I have made it past that):noway: But, I walked by someone smoking one and I wanted it. I think I am really stressed about the Grand-kids (yeah, you heard me right) coming to visit us.
  • yoginimary

That is so weird that you said that. . .get out of my brain!

Yesterday, for the first time in like. . .five years or more. . .I wanted a cigarette. (and have you seen the Canadian warning labels? No way would I have made it past that):noway: But, I walked by someone smoking one and I wanted it. I think I am really stressed about the Grand-kids (yeah, you heard me right) coming to visit us.

Yeah, you mention having those the other day. I didn't want to pry, but we are the same age...
  • lotusfromthemud
    I married into them. And they are so high energy. . .the handy thing is, when they get to be too much. . .straight back to their parents.

Just spent our first evening with them. Moms, I don't know how you do it. You just can't ever stop watching. Ever. They are so industrious at getting into trouble. (and these are good kids, too)