P90x Question

Options
Is there somewhere that gives you an idea of how fit you need to be to start this?

I just had a baby 3 months ago so I haven't been able to do a lot of hard work outs in the past few months. I'm doing 30 Day Shred now and thinking I will get P90x once I finish it and Ripped in 30 but I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it. I don't want a super easy workout, but when I can't keep up *at all* I get discouraged lol.

I was also considering Zumba.

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    P90X is hard, not gonna lie, and it's really expensive! I got my discs for free, otherwise I wouldn't have them at all! You work your butt off, the first day I did the arms workout without any weights and couldn't brush my hair the next day, the brush was too heavy. I would suggest getting on track with your excercise, THEN getting P90X so you don't keel over and die like I almost did. Best of luck!
  • JaredTheGeek
    JaredTheGeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Its really hard but why not give it a shot. You have to start somewhere. Just don't be disheartened by it since its a crazy workout.
  • kari1740
    kari1740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started it my first time when I was out of shape and it's doable, it basically just tells you to do what you can, but I was very sore and it was hard to motivate myself to keep doing it because of how sore I was from previous days. This time I have been running and jump roping to try and get into shape before I start it again :) I might try zumba too! Hope that helps!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Everyone fitness levels is different. P90X is cheaper then a gym membership and personal training. I have done it! I can recommend that is is a great at home tool most anyone can use. YOu have to build your fitness level and everyone has to start somewhere. If you don't start you will not start building it. I don't think how fit you has anyting to do with it. If you can do shred you can do P90X!

Anything can be as challanging as you make it no Matter the Fitness Level!
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    P90X is the 3rd of the series.
    1st is P90 then P90 Master series and the p90X.

If you are already in good shape I would recommend starting with the P90 Master.
    P90X is meant for athletic already in good shape people.
    Skipping straight to X gives a strong chance of being overwhelmed and stopping altogether.
  • missywilliams9258
    Options
    I am currently doing P90x , I am going into my second month, It is a very hard workout , but it is worth the work. The results are awesome. You have to set your mind to it and no matter how hard , or how tired and sore you are , you have to keep it up!!!!
    I am looking forward to my second month!!! I tried Zumba and the result is nothing like what I am getting with P90x. I wish you luck!!!!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It's really not hard. When I first started P90X, I couldn't even finish cardioX. Half way through it I was gasping for air. But that is what a year of laziness will do to you! But now I can finish cardioX without any problems. I love this program so much that I went and ordered Insanity. I want to pick it up and take it to the next level for my cardio. And once I finish that I am going to start coaching!

The wonderful thing about P90X is they tell you to modify if you need to. They even show you how to modify. If you need a break, you pause and take a quick breather. Tony says this many times throughout the work outs. Just make sure you keep moving and don't sit down or something.

As far as expenses, I really don't find it to be expensive at all. The DVD will run about $120. A good set of bands will run around $50. I have a pair of 20lb dumbbells I use. They also work as push up bars! And the bands can be used in place of pull ups. (which they show you how) So really for the price of P90X, compare that to a 3 month gym membership and it's about the same price. But no driving, no waiting for machines..
  • AmandaR910
    AmandaR910 Posts: 991
    Options
    How long are the workouts??

Did I mention I have three kids 2 and under lol.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If you get the whole packet, there is an introduction explaining that there is a "minimum fitness level" that you should be at before starting the program. If you do not meet this level, Tony suggests that you first do Power 90 before moving onto P90X. Some examples of the level you need to be at: 3 full push-ups or 15 from your knees, have a vertical leap of at least 3 inches, be able to hold a wall squat for at least 1 minute. These all came from the intro book sent with the P90X packet.

That being said, I have done videos and not been at that level. But that is a risk that you have to decide to take. If you're not up for it, it's easy to get injured and REALLY easy to get discouraged by not being able to do everything or get all the way through the videos. Ultimately, it's up to you!!

Good Luck!!!
  • BeGreat25
    BeGreat25 Posts: 78
    Options
    I agree with Tonya. I actually started off with P90X myself back last year and I went from 135 last year in March and I'm down to 110 lbs this March. If you take it easy at first you'll see you can modify some work outs and you'll survive it'll be a piece of cake. As a mom myself I know after having a baby you feel fragile but believe me you'll bounce back feeling fierce! Plus summer almost here it'll only be 90 days for P90X.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    P90X does suggest taking their "Fit Test" before beginning that program. Like someone mentioned starting with Power90 or Power90 Masters may be a better option. I started with Power 90 and currently I am doing P90X...I have the 2 weeks left and I will be done my first round. I am definitely much stronger. If you do decide to get P90X, it offers modifications to all the exercises. Even more, just do your best.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

CardioX is 50 mins. Yoga is 1hr 30 mins and the rest are around and hour.
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

:) I found the videos to be too much with the kids! But that's just me! Each video is roughly an hour, with the Yoga X being the longest at about an hour and a half! That includes a good warm-up and cool-down, though, too.

I will say this, I have started other routines, but continue to use P90X Arms and Shoulders, as it gives me the best workout for those body parts! Even if you don't do the entire program, the vidoes are nice to have around and use as a supplement or just make your own routine!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There is a fit test, that the program wants you to be able to do prior to starting, but many start even if they can't do everything, and after some time will be able to do the moments.
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try the fitness test to see how you may do.

The link is
    http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/p90x/p90xFitTest_Rev010809.pdf

I've done 1 full round of it and found that you can modify it to your own fitness level. The workouts are nice to have to supplement anything else you may do as well. As was mentioned you need about an hour a day 6 out of 7 days a week to do the full 90 day schedule or do as you want.