Stupid ankles

Options
I hate my ankles. I love to jog. If I jog outside I am fine. Inside at the gym on the treadmill my ankles start to hurt and I can only do sprints....sucks!!! I wear Nike Air womens running shoes too! Any ideas?

Replies

• chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    I hate my ankles. I love to jog. If I jog outside I am fine. Inside at the gym on the treadmill my ankles start to hurt and I can only do sprints....sucks!!! I wear Nike Air womens running shoes too! Any ideas?
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    When I was running on a treadmill, one of the fitness instructors at the Y (a friend of a friend of mine, became my friend, just like having a personal trainer) told me that if you leave the incline at 0, it's actually the equivalent of running downhill and it's not good for you. After talking with her, I always set it at 1 or 2%. She was a LOT more fit than me, she would have hers at 10%.... lol
    Robin
  • chubbymom
    chubbymom Posts: 164
    Options
    Hmmmm maybe that is the problem. I will try that thank you!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just being Nike doesn't make a shoe good for you. Now more than ever I am conscious of that fact lol...I have the Nike Air Pegasus which is made for running, but since I have flat feet and overpronate a bit, they do nothing to support my arch or control my step. They're useless! My ankles and hips hurt! I am buying new shoes as soon as I have the money for it...good running shoes are pricey. It's best to go to a place that specializes in technical shoes. Make sure the workers know about feet and miomechanics, not just 'hey these are cute'. Depending on your foot type, you'll need a shoe that's neutral, supportive, stabilizing, or a combination of those attributes.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    A good pair of orthotics might help too. Don't buy the cheapies at the shoe store though, go through a podiatrist or chiropractor. They are spendy, but some insurances cover a percentage.