Knee Pain Cardio?

Options
So I hurt my knee last year which hinders me from excessively performing my normal favorite cardio of basketball and running. Does anyone have any suggestions for cardiovascular workouts that arent so hard on the knees?

Replies

• dreamwellali
    Options
    I had my ACL/MCL done about 9 years ago (and now have unrelated pain in my other knee). The only things I've found that work for me are swimming - I take an Aquafitness class for a little variety - and the elliptical. Even on the elliptical, I keep both knees wrapped, just in case. I find I have good days and bad days. On the good days I can walk and hike, on the bad days even swimming requires ice on the "fixed" knee afterwards.

It really is a bummer when you can no longer do the exercised you actually enjoy doing. Even more of a bummer if it becomes so bad that somedays you can't even take the stairs (where I'm at right now).
  • elysant
    elysant Posts: 139
    Options
    I've had chronic knee problems since high school and have had the same problem. Some of the things I do is ride the stationary bike (or road bike when the weather is nice), swim (awesome cardio but also strength work), and walk. Walking doesn't seem like it would be good cardio, but I usually use the treadmill and increase the incline, it takes longer to get my heart rate up, but it works! :o)

Good luck!!
  • ucrgirl06
    ucrgirl06 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have knee pain too, but oddly running on the treadmill doesn't hurt for me. It's more of things like squats and lunges. Have you tried spinning? That burns a lot of calories and I don't think it puts a lot of pressure on the knee. Or maybe even cardio machines like the elliptical? Hope you find something. I know how frustrating knee pain can be.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    ACL Surgery on the right knee in HS, Broken patella on the left knee last summer... I understand where you're coming from.

For now, I'm doing basic knee strengthening exercises on the left knee and walking (you can get your heart rate up). But I also, when I have gym access, LOVE LOVE LOVE the eliptical machines. Closest you can get to running without impact on leg joints, plus the bonus of it being really hard to have lateral motion on the machine.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 knee surgeries (one was a car accident and tore all the ligaments and tendons in the knee and the other was a fall after doing a backflip--don't try that in heels BTW--where I tore my ACL) and two other knee injuries (one fall that tore the meniscus and the last one in August where I tore the patella tendon). The best thing you can do for knee issues is to strengthen the knees with weight training. Specifically, leg extensions and leg curls and 30%'s on both of those exercises. When you first start doing 30%'s you basically have to pull the pin on the machine and do it with just the weight of the machine. Eventually, you will build up to doing more weight. The 30%'s are a 30% range of motion just the 30% of the range of motion where the knee is almost fully extended. They focus on the small muscles of the knee, the insertion points of the large muscles around the knee, and the ligaments and tendons get stronger too. When you've strengthened the knees, then you can do pretty much whatever cardio you want. I teach step aerobics, kickboxing, etc. on mine as well as squat 300 pounds for reps. If I can do all that, then you can build back up to running. It does take time, though. So, in the meantime, I recommend an exercise bike (make sure the seat is the correct distance from the pedals for you to not feel it in your knees), boxing drills, and aquatic exercise. They also make arm bikes and rowing machines that are mostly upper body workouts for cardio. I don't recommend the elliptical because it may cause more knee pain if it isn't set for your specific stride length. Stride length is an individual thing and the basic positioning on the elliptical may or may not work for you. If you have access to an elliptical that has adjustments for stride length, you can try playing with it to find one that doesn't cause you to feel any discomfort in your knees (like I recommended for the bike) and use it, but be careful not to just jump on one and assume it will be safe for your knees because of it being low impact.
  • dreamwellali
    Options
    Very great advice, Tonya! Thanks! Perhaps the stride length is the issue I'm having on the elliptical - I find certain brands of machine to be easier on me than others. I bet that's the reason!

I can't advocate enough for strength training of the knees after injury as well. Both my personal trainer and physical therapist worked with me after my surgery and it made a huge difference compared to other people I know who had the same surgery. What I've learned over the years is that I have to keep it up or I will have pain again, which is a great motivator to keep doing it!
  • BerniceB
    BerniceB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Biking or biking motion on the elliptical work for me. These movements seem to strengthen the muscles that run on each side of my knees. I feel stronger and have less pain when I do these exercies regularly.
  • JettD3
    JettD3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @UCGirl

I havent tried spinning with the fear that the movement my ruin my knee lol... I might give it a shot and see how it works though... Thanks!!
  • JettD3
    Options
    Thank you Very, very, very much Tonya!!! This is very helpful advise that I will apply today!!! Are there any particular workouts other than the leg curls and extensions that you recommend? Also, How long could recovery take?

My particular Knee issue was not diagnosed. At the time of the injury I didn't have insurance. I can walk and even play basketball maybe one day of the week and be okay, But there is an obvious level of discomfort that is apparent. My concern is that the knee may have "sort-of" healed. Would performing strength training without diagnosis be a good idea? or is it safe considering that it has been so long?
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Thank you Very, very, very much Tonya!!! This is very helpful advise that I will apply today!!! Are there any particular workouts other than the leg curls and extensions that you recommend? Also, How long could recovery take?

There are other exercises that you can do, Isometric Quad Contractions, Leg Press with a resistance band, etc. but the leg extensions and 30%'s especially are the ones that I keep in my program regardless to maintain my knee strength and stability. Recovery time can vary. I will say that knee injuries tend to cause arthritis and the muscular adaptations that help ease the pain from the original injury and any possible arthritis only stick around if you continue with the strength training. If you slack off on the strength training, your knee pain will come back.
    My particular Knee issue was not diagnosed. At the time of the injury I didn't have insurance. I can walk and even play basketball maybe one day of the week and be okay, But there is an obvious level of discomfort that is apparent. My concern is that the knee may have "sort-of" healed. Would performing strength training without diagnosis be a good idea? or is it safe considering that it has been so long?

Since you can play basketball one day a week and it is okay, I don't think you have any problems that are so bad you need surgery. I'd have to do an evaluation on the knee to know what the issue might be and that's not an option really online. :smile: If you start light with the resistance, it should strengthen and be okay. If you are exceptionally sore give it rest--several days of rest. If you can't do an exercise even with light or no weight, then go to the ER.
  • JettD3
    Options
    @ Tonya,

Very great advise Thanks again!!!!:smile: