Vegetarian Lunch Ideas??

Options
irishblonde2011
irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
Hi

I have been a vegetarian for 8 years and always find it hard to come up with lunch ideas.I am a hairdresser so some days don't get time for lunch but want to make a effort. Something that can be made the night before and brought in would be good.

Any ideas?

Thank You :smile:

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Black bean burgers
    Vegetarian chili
    Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat toast
    Plain greek yogurt with blueberries
    Homemade protein bars
    Grilled tofu/tempeh salad
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some low-volume, high powered foods that you can pound down quickly, but will stay with you for a while.

Think: Almonds and/or other nuts, cheeses, dried fruits, granola bars, greek yogurts, etc.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My new favorite lunch:

1 whole wheat English muffin
    1 tablespoon olive tampanade
    10 slices meatless pepperoni
    1/4 cup reduced fat cheese (your choice, I use mozzarella)
    sliced mushrooms
    diced green olives

Slice muffin in half. Spread each half with half of the tampanade. Divide other ingredients in half and put on each side of the english muffin. Put in microwave 1 to 2 minutes until the cheese melts. Yummy and easy! I put the ingredients in containers and then assemble right before I eat.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    When I was working I always made extra for dinner the night before and took leftovers in my lunch the next day. Little did I know that I was the envy of the other ladies? Guess my lunch blew away their sandwiches?

If I were you I would find a good smoothie recipe. Mix it up the night before and put it in a insulated container/bottle and store in the fridge till the next morning.

This is my favorite but I never make it the same way and it always turns out delish and it has never needed honey:
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/all-around-good-smoothie/Detail.aspx
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I keep a bowl of salad in the fridge and just toss it in a little bowl, and I have a few little containers that are perfect for carrying 2 tbs of dressing. I spice it up by adding nuts or beans..Its quick, its easy, and always a little different everyday.
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    Soup and pre flora'd brown bread
    Wholewheat pitta with houmous baby spinach leaves and sliced peppers
    Fill a little pot with a layer of beetroot and a layer of cottage cheese then pack dry ryvita or bread to put it on
    Cous cous and grilled/roasted/stirfried vegetables with a little spice and chick peas
  • j444
    j444 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight for lunch tomorrow...

1 small - medium zucchini
    1/4 cup sliced jalapeno peppers
    1/2 cup black beans

cut up zucchini and saute, medium heat, in olive oil until zucchini is soft. Add black beans and jalapeno peppers and continue to cook at medium heat for a couple more minutes. It's pretty spicy, so if you don't like that you could change out the jalapenos for onions.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I tend to take a cold pasta salad into work. I go with 50g of pasta (dry weight), a cup of baby spinach leaves, and some strong tasting cheese; I use mature cheddar flavour sheese. Since it's so strong, I don't need very much to add flavour.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh these all sound great much better than my lousy salad roll ha.
    Thanks everyone X

Keep them coming :smile:
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I make this all the time, Its great for lunches!

Cucumber & Chick Pea Salad

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    2 tsp chopped fresh oregano or 1tsp dried
    4 cups peeled & diced cucumber
    1 can chick peas rinced
    2/3 diced red bell peppers
    fresh ground pepper
    1/2 cup feta cheese
    1/4 cup slivered red onion
    2 tbsp black olives

Whisk oil, lemon juice , oregano & pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add cucumber, chick peas, bell pepper, feta cheese, onions & black olives, Toss to coat. Serve chilled or at room tempature.
    160 calories per serving.
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    this was my lunch today :)

2 pieces whole wheat bread with 1 or 2 tbsp of hummus, sliced cucumber, and 1/8 cup of mozzarella cheese.
    i usually have cantaloupe or another fruit and another side - pudding, special k bar, pretzels, etc.
  • jasperrains
    jasperrains Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did this today. I had a Thomas Bagel Thin (Everything flavor)
    1 Wedge of Laughing Cow Queso
    2 Slices of Tomato
    1/4 cup raw spinach

It was SO good!

Total of about 170 calories
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bean burrito!!!