Nighttime Eating

Options
I have found that I do well until after dinner. I have nearly blown my daily calorie goal by being ravenous in the evenings. Any thoughts or suggestions to help curtail this behavior?

Replies

• arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    I am the same way because that is when I am able to just sit and relax. My only suggestion is to choose low calorie snacks...that is what I do and it seems to be working so far:) Good Luck!!!!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Have you tried saving some of your calories for a evening snack? I do this once and a while and it helps.
  • TonyaJ83
    TonyaJ83 Posts: 155
    Options
    I allow myself one evening snack. Usually no more than 100 calories. I save some of my daily allowed for that. I normally make home made sorbet or have a 100% juice bar or something & savor every bite! :)
  • CharlieSC
    CharlieSC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips......I have been cutting it close so I will try to save a few during the day. The juice bar sounds like a good idea.
  • melissaga79
    melissaga79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like to have some 94% ff popcorn for an evening snack sometimes....you can have quite a bit for low calories.
  • sharonshoop
    Options
    Drink water. If that doesn't work I use Hot tea and it seems to take the craving away.
  • kerridactyl
    kerridactyl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Usually what it boils down to is the fact that there is nothing really to stop you from eating at night---you're not rushing around, completing a million tasks. So you munch without even registering it.
    I've been trying the water trick, but usually I still feel hungry.
    Try carrots or even some rice crisp snacks--they come in a lot of flavors and are really delicious.
    The biggest key is to make sure you don't just inhale your snack---I often have to remind myself to take 5 minute pauses in the middle of snacking, because then your stomach has a chance to acknowledge that it has received food at all.

Good luck to us all on the nighttime snacking battle! :)
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Save a few calories and make sure your late night snack is satisfying and low calorie.

Here are some late night snacks that work for me:

Tomato sliced with a little balsamic vinegar and salt.
    Cucumber, dash of vinegar and feta cheese (low fat cheese)
    Popcorn - either low fat microwave or pop your own on the stove.
    Hot cocoa - low calorie (only 25 calories!)
    a marshmallow if I just really want something sweet (of course you have to be able to stop at one. If you can't, don't open the package because it will just lead to bad things. 23 calories per marshmallow.)
    peas with a tsp of butter and dill.
    A piece of fresh fruit - get fruit you really like and keep it on the counter so the fridge cold won't spoil the natural sugars and flavor.

Basically my rule for myself is I can eat one dessert per day, as long as it won't take me over my calorie limit. When I eat is up to me. At the end of the day if I am genuinely hungry, not just craving or eating because I'm bored, I can eat all the fruit and vegetables I want. Making sure i get a full five servings of veg and fruit a day has really cut down on the cravings and hunger.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help when all they show on TV are yummy food commercials! I don't think about pizza all day, until I turn the tube on at night & see it every 5 minutes! :grumble:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The two things that really help me are brushing my teeth so I can't eat any more without having to go and do it again (which I am far too lazy to do!) and drinking masses of peppermint tea.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one evening snack. Usually no more than 100 calories. I save some of my daily allowed for that. I normally make home made sorbet or have a 100% juice bar or something & savor every bite! :)

I do this along with ice cold water and as many cups of green tea as I care for.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I usually just plan my last meal to be just before bed. It doesn't matter what time of day you eat, It just matters that you are below your caloric goals. I have heard recommendations to keep your last meal lower carb, due to the fact that you no longer need energy to sleep, and that is the carbohydrates main purpose, but the main idea is to keep yourself in a caloric deficit. Whatever times you eat is up to you, and your body.
  • foleykm22
    foleykm22 Posts: 32
    Options
    I like to have some 94% ff popcorn for an evening snack sometimes....you can have quite a bit for low calories.

I have popcorn a lot when im watching tv so I have something to munch on. I also eat sugar free popsicles. Tropicals by Popsicle brand have 15 calories per pop. For me, I need to get upstairs in bed if I really feel the danger of binging. A glass of red wine helps sometimes too.

It also helps not to have the food you would binge on in the house.

good luck!!!
  • wesleysangel
    Options
    Breakfast food to me is usually the best late night snack, and it fills you up. Just a cup of cereal with or without milk (I do without) or some oatmeal. The oatmeal will fill you up better. And then just know that the next day you'll have to work on your calorie intake so you can have your late night snack without going over.
  • AMSull19
    AMSull19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i drink hot tea, and do something to keep my hands busy. if that doesnt work...brush your teeth after dinner, no food tastes good after you brush your teeth
  • healthynthin
    Options
    I have been trying out intermittent fasting...I don't start to eat until 12 or 1 and I am usually done by around 9-10 I dont worry about the times so much. Just waiting to eat later in the day helps me to control my wanting to indulge later. and if I end up wanting something high in calories its ok cause I saved up all my calories so it would actually fit. Hope that kinda helps