Is it better to eat before or after exercise?

Options
Well, I was getting ready to go jogging and I had a thought occur to me.. Is it better to eat before or after exercise?

-Aza

Replies

• jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a trainer that it's best to eat after and you burn more calories on an empty stomach. I usually have to wait a while after a workout because it can make me hurl.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    After definitely...There are times I've eaten and gotten sick to my stomach too.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    great question
  • Baileymqt
    Baileymqt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I heard it was better to have a very small snack before. The analogy was you wouldn't get very far on an empty tank of gas in a car, so your body needs a little fuel too, just small though.
  • Steveeee
    Steveeee Posts: 62
    Options
    Something small, nutritious and low in sugar beforehand, in my opinion.
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've heard both. It is important to fuel your body for your workouts. Also, important to recoup lost nutrients/good stuff from your workout.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    This one kind of depends on a few things.....

If you haven't eaten in awhile and you're going for a run, for instance, then you might want to have a snack before you go out. A little fuel will allow you to go farther and exercise longer.

You should reserver your "meal" for after you exercise. So, if you exercise at the end of the day, be sure to have a good high-protein dinner afterward. If you exercise in the morning, eat your morning meal afterward.
  • 77LouLou
    77LouLou Posts: 75
    Options
    I have 1/2 c oatmeal before...so far it wrks for me!
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I think everyone's different. I know people who have to eat a little something in the morning before a race and then there are people like me who have to run on an empty stomach. If I have something to eat beforehand, I just do not do well.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's best to eat both before and after. You should never ask your body to exercise when you're "on empty." This doesn't mean not to exercise when your stomach is empty, but not to exercise when you haven't eaten in three or four hours. Eat something an hour or so before exercise, and within an hour of finishing. THIS is the best way to keep your body fueled properly and your metabolism working properly. Just make sure you eat something appropriately sized both times.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    After definitely...There are times I've eaten and gotten sick to my stomach too.

This is because you eat the wrong food or too shortly before you exercise. The closer you get to exertion, the more you want something high in carbs, especially shorter chain carbohydrates, and low in protein. You also want what you eat to be more easily digestible, for example in liquid form, if you eat it up to a half hour before exercise.

Always give yourself at least a half hour before exercise, however, or expect it to slow you down.
  • waltrip2315
    Options
    I've heard both before and after also, but I read it was fast burning carbs you wanted to take in before and after.