STUMPED!!

Options
Ok i have been 'dieting' for 6 weeks now and started to make good progress (lost 7 pound) i wanted to speed up the process and started going to the gym 5 times a week, i now seem to have put most of it back on. I've heard that muscle weighs 3 times as much as fat, is this true, do you think is whats happening to me?!?!?

Before you ask i generally do 10 - 15 mins on the bike and then 10 - 15 mins on the X-trainer and some resistance training, anything you can suggest would be great, thanks!!

Replies

• Dawn111567
    Options
    It is highly unlikely that you could put that much muscle weight on in 6 weeks, especially being a woman. What is probably happening is that when we start working out our muscles hold on to the water and we retain water. As frustrating as the "scale" weight is go by your inches lost and how you feel.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes muscle weighs far more than fat. You don't need to ask that question on MFP, just google it and you'll soon discover that it's scientific fact.

As to whether you lost fat and gained muscle or gained back fat, it's probably the case that you built some muscle, but it's impossible for any of us to know, particularly given the limited information you've given us.

How do you feel? If you've been maintaining a calorie deficit and eating properly, but gained weight, it's probably muscle.
  • SevenisHeaven
    SevenisHeaven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    A lot of things can add up to a weight gain. TOM? Sodium overload? Water Retention? Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. If your body was not used to using those muscles it is going to build them up..causing a weight gain. Instead of getting down about the numbers, have you measured yourself? Do your clothes fit better? Do you FEEL better?
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    when you combine working out you will see more progress in inches than scale for the reason mentioned above. make sure you are drinking a ton of water. well not literally but a lot. if i remember someone once told me you should divide your total weight in half and thats how many ounces a day of water you should be taking in. :)

oh the water will help flush the retention.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    One pound of fat weighs the same as one pound of muscle. You might have put on lean muscle mass with the exercising. Although we don't like seeing the number on the scale going up, if your clothes are fitting looser and people comment on your weight loss, that is a good thing. Don't worry about the number on the scale. Try measuring to see if there is a different in inches. Good luck!
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    Here's the deal....exercise is only a supplement to a good diet. Don't exercise to lose weight - exercise for your health. Eat correctly and the weight will MELT off. Weight loss is 90% intake.

If you've increased your physical activity, you've likely also increased your caloric intake. I, too, doubt you've added 7 lbs of muscle in 6 weeks.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Sorry there is no chance that you gained 7lbs of muscle - gaining muscle is hard - really hard - and it requires serious weight training and actually minimal cardio

This is actually a very good article if you want the science

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki2.htm

but the key part is

"The Colgan Institute of Nutritional Sciences run by Dr Michael Colgan PHD explains that in his extensive experience, the most muscle gain he or any of his colleagues have recorded over a year was 18 1/4 lbs. Dr Colgan goes on to state that "because of the limiting rate of turnover in the muscle cells it is impossible to grow more than an ounce of new muscle each day."

Keep in mind that high-level athletes are the subjects of these studies. "
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am agreeing with what everyone says.

However, I noticed that if you are way under your calorie goal for the day and do not eat back the calories exercised off you gain back some weight.

For example, I was sick with bronchitis a couple of weeks ago and was so exhausted from fighting the fever and illness I was sleeping 14-18 hrs a day for 3-4 days. Because of this I was not usually up to eating a lot. I subsisted on water, jello, and applesauce along with some dry toast. Because of the huge caloric intake drop I ended up slowing my metabolism and thus gained back 4 lbs.

I have since lost back that weight and then some. I am hoping to have lost 15 by the end of this month.

Also, as for using the scale, in a sentence... only do it once a week. And when you do weigh yourself do so in the morning after you get up, but before you eat breakfast. The reason for this is since you were sleeping for all those hours, the gravity wasn't pulling all your weight on top of your self it was spread out evenly like your blanket.

I hope this helps.
  • momsbrats2005
    momsbrats2005 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I Think your body may be getting use to the normal exercise schedule and not burn as much as it could you might want to try switching it up a little like do some fitness video, jogging, crunches, yoga, squats, Pilates, and weight training. Just a suggestion i heard it could happen. It may just be retention too. You never know though.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey

This is a great post and you very well could be in the starvation state. It might be time to spike up your metabolism. Take a few days off from dieting and exercising and then get back to it. Sometimes it's necessary to take a step back to go 10 steps forward.