So glad to have my SODIUM

Options
Ok so I know we all fuss about oh going over on sodium is bad and how it makes us hold onto water.
I PERSONALLY am so thankful for every damn pinch of sodium in my body right now...
Here's why:
My mother in law was put in the Hospital 2 weeks ago and they could not figure out what was wrong with her( she lives in a small hick town not near a big city) and after giving her treatment for what they thought was the FLU , she finally sees a Dr who test her sodium levels.
SHE WAS LITERALLY EMPTY OF SALT...
She is now getting saline water thru her IV but the worst part is .....
She is having to EAT TABLESPOONS OF TABLE SALT EVERY HOUR TO GET THE SODIUM BACK IN HER BODY
talking about gross, they have no idea why this happened to her but she did tell them she cuts out as much salt as she can so she doesnt swell up. As a elder person I can understand that I guess.
I sure hope to never have to eat salt like that, she says that food now just taste like salt. Nothing has flavor anymore.
I feel so bad for her but I am so thankful for my salt in my body!!!

Replies

• Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    wow. I know my sodium levels in my journal are usually super low.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Wow, hope she will be OK!

Can't imagine the heartburn from eating straight salt. Eeeew!
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    WOW,scary! :S
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    How horrible. I can believe that, though. I always think I eat a lot of salt, and other people comment I do too, but when I count it up I am always under. I think being vegetarian, and not eating any processed food, I get a lot less sodium than most people naturally in my food. When I was pregnant I tried to cut down to be healthier, and felt AWFUL. I had bad cramps all the time, which went away when I upped my salt intake.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    My sister in law passed out a few months ago. Turned outbher sodium levels were way too low and they continue to run low because of how much she exercises. She plays soccer about 6-8 hours a week and softball 1 hour a week. All of that depletes the salt and causes her blood pressure to be dangerously low if she isn't careful.

It is a good reminder that people should not generalize and tell everyone to cut out salt. Always important to keep our doctors informed of what we are involved in.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    im almost always over on my damn salt. i dont add salt to cooking at all.. everything has freakin salt in it... its frustrating. im not sure how someone would have no salt at all in their body cuz look at labels, near everything has salt in it. that is horrible she has to have so much salt to make up for it.. temporary, or just until she is better?
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    :(
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Wishing your grandma a speedy and complete recovery. But yes, too little sodium (less than 500 mg day) is very bad for the body. Our muscles and nerve cells use sodium. And it helps us regulate our blood pressure.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    If you only eat fresh food you have made from scratch it is very easy to get near to no sodium. I never eat pre made food, nor do I eat bread, so unless I add salt to food, I really don't get any at all naturally.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That happened to my step-dad last year too. Although I don't think he had to eat spoonfuls of salt. When they got his levels back up, the he started retaining water from the nursing home food. Poor guy! I hope your m-i-l gets better quickly! We need to remember that our bodies need some sodium to function properly as well as many other minerals :flowerforyou: