Tips for women on losing back fat

Options
So, I initially researched on my own trying to find some exercises that would help to target back fat. All I really came across was a) increasing your cardiovascular exercises and b) considering liposuction.

What the hell? I'm sure there are at least *some* exercises that can aid the loss of back fat short of resorting to liposuction LOL. I already do a lot of cardio, so I guess my real question is if there are any strength training exercises that can improve this trouble spot?

Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I really know of for back is pull-ups (yuck) and most variations of a row. I'm interested in what everyone else has to say, too, though!
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    this was a topic a few nights ago:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196794-exercising-back-fat.

Basically there is no way to just target an area of fat :sad:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    P90X strength training workouts helped my back. You can't spot reduce fat, but an over all dedicated program that consists of strength training and cardio does the job.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You want to target your Rhomboids - those back muscles that I call "Bra Back Fat". Bent over rows using weights are good for those muscles. You can add a rotation - thumbs in thumbs out - to vary the move. Stand with your feet hip width and tip forward, pressing your heels into the ground. The further tipped over you are, the more you'll target those rhomboids. Do enough reps with heavy enough weights until you can do no more.

Also, back flyes will target them as well. Standing in the same position for the bent over rows, tip forward and squeeze your shoulder blade together bringing the weights to the side (laterally) and lower. Hope this helps and good luck!!:happy:
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I used to lay on my stomach, spread my arms straight out, and raise my left arm and right leg off the ground a few inches, and then, alternate . Or, I would just left my chest and shoulders off the floor.
  • redxmasqueen
    Options
    Yoga and Pilates are GREAT for developing a sculpted back!
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    As my licensed trainer told me: Cardio burns the fat and strength training will tone your muscles. It sucks but that's just the way it is. Just like abs, I can do all the crunches and ab workout I want BUT if I don't lose the layer of fat, you'll never see the defined muscles. Here's a list of exercises to help tone and develop your back muscles:

dumbbell rows
    dumbbell pullovers
    back extensions
    one armed rows
    reverse fly

Hope this helps
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    Agree with TIFnFIT! There are a couple areas I Have to target in order for them to tighten up.
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My Chiropractor always recommends any type of core workout for strenghtening your back. This should also help you to lose that stubborn back fat as well!